| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite Vegan Recipes from Non-Vegan Cookbooks?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

amethyst wrote:
My favorite nonvegan cookbook is probably 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. It's not even vegetarian, but there are lots of recipes that are already vegan and many more that can be veganized, some more easily than others.

Ooooo, I think that might be mine too! I think it's also nice that he suggests switching out paneer with tofu if you like. His dal makhani recipe (subbing coconut milk for all the dairy) is my favorite dal makhani recipe ever, and my omni sweetheart requests it like once a week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm 

My favorite non-vegan cookbooks are ones that offer me something most cookbooks don't.

Flatbread and Flavors: A Baker's Atlas by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid is such a one. The book includes recipes for every kind of flatbread you can imagine, and accompaniments, along with photographs and stories about the breads and their countries of origin.

Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World by Gil Marks is another. This one includes lovely info with the recipes, everything from holiday traditions to maps showing such things as which countries embraced phyllo dough and where puff pastry flourished instead. This lovely education in the history of different cultures is interspersed throughout the cookbook. My favorite recipe so far is the Moroccan Pumpkin Soup.

I also love Ismail Merchant's Florence: Filming and Feasting in Tuscany, mostly for the beautiful photographs but there are also some recipes I've adapted that are tasty. This cookbook only contains 70 or so recipes though, and some aren't even vegetarian.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 am 

I just got a new book called "Whole Grains for a New Generation." It's not completely vegetarian, but the majority of recipes are veg. Many recipes are labeled vegan, but a lot of the vegetarian recipes could be made vegan by omitting what is basically a garnish (dollop of cheese, creme fraiche, etc).

This isn't the strongest recommendation because I haven't gotten the chance to cook from the book, but I have been paging through it and getting excited.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:09 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am really wanting to try the curry cookbook (660).
I LOVE Indian food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:02 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
I am really wanting to try the curry cookbook (660).
I LOVE Indian food.

660 Curries is wonderful! It's got very clear instructions and following his method of making rice is the first time I ever got perfect rice in my entire life. Seriously. Everything I've made, including adapting things (subbing coconut milk for cream or yoghurt, oil for ghee &c) has been amazing.

I also recommend Yamuna Devi's Lard Krishna's Cuisine. It's vegetarian but easily adaptable and has a lot of recipes, as well as an awesome introduction to different dals and so on. I feel like it's more complicated than 660 Curries but I also cooked from it first before I'd really cooked much, so my memory might be colored by that!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:48 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Reviving this thread! What are your favorite non-vegan cookbooks or your favorite veganizable recipes from non-vegan cookbooks?

I have about 80 cookbooks, and I've made about 800 recipes from these cookbooks over the past 7 years. Over time, I've mostly stopped buying non-vegan cookbooks since there are so many awesome vegan cookbooks coming out every month and I want to support vegan cookbook authors. However, like a few people mentioned up-thread, I keep a few non-vegan cookbooks in my collection that have features that are unique and useful. I use the first three (HTCEV, VCFE, and World Veg) frequently as my go-to cooking references for general recipes and cooking tips.

Non-Vegan Vegetarian
- How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman: I use this often when I need to use up an ingredient or a combination of ingredients. I love his template recipes. For example, I made his "Green salad with fruit, cheese, and nuts" using romaine, red grapes, Kite Hill white alder cheese (kind of like brie), and walnuts, and it was phenomenal. I find his recipes much more creative, versatile, and inspiring than the Deborah Madison tome - for example, the "Green tea broth with udon noodles." He also has more practical and real world recipes, like the "Vastly improved store-bought ramen."

- New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison: Love this for simple vegetable recipes that are stunning. Really highlights good produce, like the "Carrot salad with caper sauce and dill" or the "Kale salad with glazed sunflower seeds and hot cider vinaigrette". This is also a great way to use your fancy vegan cheeses! I made her "Grilled cream cheese" with Kite Hill cream cheese and added fig butter, it was amazing. Her toast and grilled cheese recipes are great too with Chao slices, like the "Cheese toasts with pesto", "Cheese and apple sandwich", and the "Chile cheese toasts".

- World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey: It's my favorite general reference for (obviously) ethnic recipes. It's insanely vegan-friendly. My favorites include the "Palestinian Rice With Lentils and Browned Onions", "Spanish-style spinach with chickpeas", "Nigerian Kidney Bean Stew With A Peanut Sauce", and "Chickpea flour pancakes with tomato and onion".

- Super Natural Cooking and Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson: Another inspiring and easily veganizable collection. Cheese is often an optional garnish. Love her "Millet fried rice", "Toasted coconut steel-cut oats", "Tutti-Frutti Crumble", and "Baked Oatmeal" (with flax instead of eggs and strawberry/rhubarb).

- Heart of the Plate by Mollie Katzen: Delicious vegetable dishes, easily veganizable. I haven't cooked much from this one, but I keep meaning to. I don't have any of the Moosewood Cookbooks, and I considered getting one of those instead of this, but this one is much more produce-heavy and whole foods centric.

- Herbivoracious by Michael Natkin: Creative and inspiring recipes. Pretty pictures. A bit time-consuming. A decent amount of vegan/veganizable recipes, though not as much as the above cookbooks. I haven't cooked much from this one.

- Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi: I need to cook more from this! I love his "Pasta and fried courgette salad".

- I just bought My New Roots by Sarah Britton, At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen by Amy Chaplin, and the Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by America's Test Kitchen: These have all come out within the past year or so, and they are gorgeous collections that are extremely vegan friendly. They're relatively new, so I haven't cooked much out of them yet.

- Real Vegetarian Thai by Nancie McDermott: Easily veganizble. I haven't cooked much from this one since it's so easy to order vegan Thai food to my apartment!

- Samayal by Viji Varadarajan: A fantastic South Indian cookbook. South Indian cooking is very vegan-friendly by nature, since it's lacto-vegetarian.

Non-Vegetarian
- Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi: I want to cook from this more too! It's pretty meaty, but I'm sure subbing the meat for beans, tofu, or vegan meats would be just as lovely. The "Middle Eastern Spinach Salad with Dates and Almonds" is to die for.

- Indian for Everyone and Indian Slow Cooker by Anupy Singla: She's my favorite Indian cookbook author by far. She has a separate Vegan Indian cookbook, so her non-veg cookbooks give tons of vegan or veganizable options.

A few non-vegan cookbooks I've been eyeing recently are Deborah Madison's Vegetable Literacy, the Kitchn Cookbook (love the blog, and the book just won a James Beard Award), the Moosewood Cookbook (40-year edition), and Meatless by Martha Stewart, and the upcoming Near and Far by Heidi Swanson. Anyone have any comments on these books?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't yet had a chance to try the recipes in Vegetable Literacy, but I love the book - the conversational tone and the general focus on how plants are related, botanically and in culinary use, was really interesting. "Plenty More" is also on my bookshelf - I've perused it quite a bit, now just need to cook from it!

I go back to a few soups from Cooks Illustrated pretty frequently. I veganized their "lighter chicken dumpling soup", subbing white beans for chicken, and it's now a staple at our house. I also use their 30 minute vegetarian chili and a quick black bean soup that doesn't seem to be posted on their website any longer. Right now, I'm just taking out a batch of the Ultimate Banana Bread from Cooks Illustrated - it's cooling on the countertop. And I often veganize Cooking Light recipes - every month's issue is the basis of our weekly meal plan.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The one I use most is "200 bread recipes" by Joanna Farrow. It has various kinds of breads you can start in the bread machine and finish in the oven. I especially love the cottage bread.

Second is "Le bar à soupes", in French, by Anne-Catherine Bley (the edition that is shaped like a building). It has the most delicious soups. It's omni, but most recipes are easily veganized. My favorites are the borscht, the cream of carrots and the cream of mushrooms.

I like "Homebaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World" for its mostly unusual, exotic breads, but it's more intimidating. My favorites are the papaya and almond bread as well as the sweet potato and cardamom rotis.

From "Party Nuts", I enjoy the spiced macadamias and the orange-cinnamon pecans.

From "World Vegetarian", I like the coconut chutney and the stuffed inarizushi.

From "Dakshin", I like the oothapams.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:24 pm 

So glad this thread was revived!

Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites has a quick and simple Asian tofu salad that I love to make.

Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen (aka Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen) has some great recipes for pressure cooked risottos. There's one with carrots, peas and mint that I make a lot.

I'm not usually a fan of Nava Atlas' recipes but the baba ganoush from Vegetarian Celebrations is my go to recipe.

Fresh & Fast Vegetarian by Marie Simmons -- Tofu "Steaks" with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce and Baby Bok Choy

Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks -- Moroccan Pumpkin Soup, Tunisian Braised Chard (variation with chickpeas), Sephardic Red Lentil Soup.

kidsdoc wrote:
- Heart of the Plate by Mollie Katzen: Delicious vegetable dishes, easily veganizable. I haven't cooked much from this one, but I keep meaning to. I don't have any of the Moosewood Cookbooks, and I considered getting one of those instead of this, but this one is much more produce-heavy and whole foods centric.

Interesting you should bring up this one. I bought it last year during an ebook sale and have since made the Yellow Split Pea Dal and the Stir-Fried Noodles with Asparagus, Mushrooms, Tofu and Cashews. The dal was terrific and the noodles were very good as well.

Other Mollie Katzen recipes I'm fond of:

The marinated mushrooms and the ratatouille from The Moosewood Cookbook (I have the revised 10th Anniversary edition)

One of the Katzen cookbooks I got rid of (I think it may have been The Enchanted Broccoli Forest) had a great recipe for cream of onion soup that I had in my pre-vegan days. I'm want to find it and veganize it. There was also an open-face sandwich with onion and red peppers sauteed in cumin and other spices that I liked.

The Turkish eggplant appetizer from Still Life with Menu. I don't own this cookbook but a friend of mine made this once and I immediately begged her for the recipe. I've brought it to parties and it's always a hit.