| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite Vegan Recipes from Non-Vegan Cookbooks?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

amethyst wrote:
My favorite nonvegan cookbook is probably 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. It's not even vegetarian, but there are lots of recipes that are already vegan and many more that can be veganized, some more easily than others.

Ooooo, I think that might be mine too! I think it's also nice that he suggests switching out paneer with tofu if you like. His dal makhani recipe (subbing coconut milk for all the dairy) is my favorite dal makhani recipe ever, and my omni sweetheart requests it like once a week.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My favorite non-vegan cookbooks are ones that offer me something most cookbooks don't.

Flatbread and Flavors: A Baker's Atlas by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid is such a one. The book includes recipes for every kind of flatbread you can imagine, and accompaniments, along with photographs and stories about the breads and their countries of origin.

Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World by Gil Marks is another. This one includes lovely info with the recipes, everything from holiday traditions to maps showing such things as which countries embraced phyllo dough and where puff pastry flourished instead. This lovely education in the history of different cultures is interspersed throughout the cookbook. My favorite recipe so far is the Moroccan Pumpkin Soup.

I also love Ismail Merchant's Florence: Filming and Feasting in Tuscany, mostly for the beautiful photographs but there are also some recipes I've adapted that are tasty. This cookbook only contains 70 or so recipes though, and some aren't even vegetarian.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just got a new book called "Whole Grains for a New Generation." It's not completely vegetarian, but the majority of recipes are veg. Many recipes are labeled vegan, but a lot of the vegetarian recipes could be made vegan by omitting what is basically a garnish (dollop of cheese, creme fraiche, etc).

This isn't the strongest recommendation because I haven't gotten the chance to cook from the book, but I have been paging through it and getting excited.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am really wanting to try the curry cookbook (660).
I LOVE Indian food.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

daisysunshine wrote:
I am really wanting to try the curry cookbook (660).
I LOVE Indian food.

660 Curries is wonderful! It's got very clear instructions and following his method of making rice is the first time I ever got perfect rice in my entire life. Seriously. Everything I've made, including adapting things (subbing coconut milk for cream or yoghurt, oil for ghee &c) has been amazing.

I also recommend Yamuna Devi's Lard Krishna's Cuisine. It's vegetarian but easily adaptable and has a lot of recipes, as well as an awesome introduction to different dals and so on. I feel like it's more complicated than 660 Curries but I also cooked from it first before I'd really cooked much, so my memory might be colored by that!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2