| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Plantpower way
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Just got the book today. It's a big beautiful book. I can't wait to dig into it. The pictures are nice and full page.

Let me know if you cook anything from it and what's good!

Post subject: Re: The Plantpower way
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Just bought this on Amazon today. I've been vegan for over 20 years, so I don't really need a guide. However, the reviews are glowing, & I couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Petermares, do you know if they developed the recipes, or if it was a chef? If it's a chef, and there's no anti-vax talk, I'll probably bite.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Xocolatl wrote:
Petermares, do you know if they developed the recipes, or if it was a chef? If it's a chef, and there's no anti-vax talk, I'll probably bite.

I don't have the book but I do listen to Rich Roll's podcast. The recipes are from Julie, his wife, and they are what the family eat all the time apparently. I did find a few on the internet to look at. I can't decide whether I should buy it. Apparently it's beautiful and more than just a cookbook but it is very expensive!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Chickpea wrote:
The recipes are from Julie, his wife, and they are what the family eat all the time apparently. I did find a few on the internet to look at. I can't decide whether I should buy it. Apparently it's beautiful and more than just a cookbook but it is very expensive!

Ah, okay. I've watched her cooking videos on YouTube and used to listen to the podcasts. I've seen the book but didn't have time to look through it. It's a very nice-looking, big hardcover but I don't need/want the lifestyle advice, so the recipes will have to be spectacular for me to buy it. I'm trying not to buy every book that says "vegan" on the cover.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I can concur that they said she developed everything. There is a lot of life style and non-cooking related stuff in there. There's also a lot of yummy sounding sauces and dressings. I will say some recipes are overly simplistic while others look really good. I'm sure I could have figured out the guac recipe without them: avocado, lemon, salt.

Currently $24 on Amazon.

Xocolatl wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
The recipes are from Julie, his wife, and they are what the family eat all the time apparently. I did find a few on the internet to look at. I can't decide whether I should buy it. Apparently it's beautiful and more than just a cookbook but it is very expensive!

Ah, okay. I've watched her cooking videos on YouTube and used to listen to the podcasts. I've seen the book but didn't have time to look through it. It's a very nice-looking, big hardcover but I don't need/want the lifestyle advice, so the recipes will have to be spectacular for me to buy it. I'm trying not to buy every book that says "vegan" on the cover.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

I received this one today, and it is a gorgeous, huge, hard-cover book, full of beautiful pictures. I've just flipped through and agree with petermares that the sauces and dressings seem like a very interesting section; to me they seem like the most innovative recipes. There are a lot of smoothie recipes. I was surprised to see that not many recipes call for expensive/hard to find superfoods, so I am happy about that.

Haven't read in detail but there seems to be some really inspiring thoughts in there... I loved Rich Roll's book, listened to it as an audiobook while training for my first half-marathon, and it really helped me go through it, so it was natural for me to preorder this book! Can't wait to try the recipes.

Will post the recipes I make!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I was so so, so excited for this book and it is gorgeous! I am a little disappointed though because I do find the recipes to be complex and take a long time. That could just be me though, I am 8 months pregnant and everything feels hard/difficult for me right now. I made the veggie burgers last night and they took a long time and a lot of work. My back was aching by the time I was done. They came out blah. They were super mushy and had very little flavor, plus they looked nothing like the picture. That could have been my fault though because I didn't use BBQ sauce I used terryaki sauce instead. My husband was mad at these burgers....... He said "Where the Hell did you get this recipe?!" Yikes, he never says things like that, he eats anything, but these pissed him off. I am trying the untuna today and I will see how that comes out.

Also, there are a few hard to find ingredients that can't be found here in the Northeast like lavender blooms, wild jungle peanuts, raw coconut meat. And there is a lot of sauerkraut, beets, and sprouts used in recipes which my family vehemently despises. Sprinkled in are some hopeful recipes, but I'm a little disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:59 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I just wanted to add, the more I use this cookbook the more I love it. It is very unique from any other vegan cookbook out there and very, very inspiring!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Bonnie480 wrote:
I just wanted to add, the more I use this cookbook the more I love it. It is very unique from any other vegan cookbook out there and very, very inspiring!

Any successes that I should try. I still haven't got around to cooking from it, too busy with school to follow a recipe.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Just want to start by saying I love, love, love Rich & Julie. Listen to the podcast religiously. I preordered the book as soon as I heard Rich talk about it. When I got it, I could not wait to try the recipes right away.

I made the coconut curry and thought it was good, a keeper, but nothing outside of what I have made before.

Made the almond pesto with rice pasta. Loved the pesto although lacking in depth of flavor. On the pasta it was ok but not great. I never had rice pasta before but quite enjoyed it. Would probably make the pesto but use as a spread for pita, toast etc.

Made the veggie burgers and thought they took on the flavor of the bbq sauce more than any of the veggies. Would not make those again, same deal, sort of lacks depth of flavor, spice, something.

Finally I made the cherry cacao smoothie and that was terrific! I would have that a million times over again. I have never used cherries in a smoothie before but I will now!

I will keep trying other recipes for sure and the book is gorgeous. Food is clean eating for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed for more keepers!