| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions: Writing A Cookbook for College Vegans?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone! I am a long time PPK follower and an occasional board-lurker. I also happen to be snacking on some PPK brownies that I made earlier.
Anyway, I was wondering if I could get some feedback my friend and I had on writing a guide/cookbook for young aspiring vegan cooks in college. It started because my friend requested recipes that:

• Teaches young people who have little cooking experience about basic cooking techniques such as washing and preparing beans and steaming vegetables
• Contain few and easy to find ingredients (Things you could find at a generic grocery store. Maybe even, dare I say it, the grocery store section of Target. I know a lot of my classmates get their groceries there. This is also important for people who live in more rural areas/students who don't have cars and don't have easy access to health food stores.)
• Be cheap!
• Require as few tools and appliances as possible
• Be easy to understand
• Be tasty and healthy
• Take a relatively short time to make, or freeze well

I know PETA has a vegan cookbook for college students out, but it has its share of negative reviews on amazon. In terms of publishing, we might do monthly or bi-monthly zines (There is a place in Chicago that would distribute them) and then compile all of them into a book, or maybe just a simple blog or a combination of both.
Basically, do you guys think this is a good idea? What recipes do you think would feature well in college student cookbooks? I have quite a lot of the framework planned out already, just for fun, and I think it definitely has potential. Plus I am enthusiastic about it, which makes all the difference.

I'm an art student right now, so one thing we would do to mix things up would be present the information in an illustrated style (see theydrawandcook.com), rather than a traditional cookbook with photos and text separate.

Basically anything you have to say on this issue would be more than welcome! Ideas for recipes, sections or things we should discuss in the book, etc.

Post subject: Re: Opinions: Writing A Cookbook for College Vegans?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:03 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

We (teen PPKers) tried to do a zine similar to this a few years ago, but nothing was getting done and everyone ended up dropping out, so the project eventually fizzled away.

I still think it would be great to see something like this in finished form, so I say go for it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

That's too bad!

If there are students or just anyone in general who'd like to contribute ideas, articles, cartoons or anything let me know! I think we'll put out at least one issue, and then people might be more interested in submitting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm a college-aged vegan! I kinda suck at cooking alot of times. Go for it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'd buy it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:50 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I had a couple student vegetarian books back in my college days, and was a little disappointed in them (yes, cooking with beer is cute, now let's move on...). However I think it's a definite niche to fill.

I would add another criterion: single or scalable portions. Maybe emphasize one-dish microwavable meals that can be eaten in one sitting, because people in a dorm won't necessarily have a reliable freezer. Good advice might also be for students to get a nice rice cooker (rather than any other appliance), since you can do a lot of things with a rice cooker with easy cleanup and it'll store well in a dorm or small apartment. Make rice, steam veg + protein on top, and add a no-cook sauce? You've got yourself a bowl of food. (Of course that could be done stovetop too, if people have access to one)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yes, a rice cooker is a great idea! I wish I had one last year when I didn't have a kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I mostly lived on fried potatoes and smoothies made from bananas and strawberry jam when I went vegan at university, I would definitely have been interested in an easy cookbook/zines with healthier meals for one or two people, especially if they had cute drawings!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I would love to see a cookbook targeted at college kids that's more than hummus, burritos and sandwiches. I've got those things covered, thanks. I like making interesting recipes! but they need to be relatively quick (between 30 minutes and an hour) and preferably won't leave too many dishes.

Another thing that would be great would be some dishes that could be eaten cold the next day. I don't have easy access to microwaves on my campus, so I wind up unable to take my leftovers. I like to make meals that serve 2 to 4 so that I can share or eat leftovers for a few days and don't have to worry about cooking again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

anything would be better than this bookImage

if you want to read some truly bad recipes and make a not-shit book, read this and do the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

vegansushi wrote:
• Contain few and easy to find ingredients
• Require as few tools and appliances as possible
• Be tasty and healthy
• Take a relatively short time to make

This!

vegansushi wrote:
Basically, do you guys think this is a good idea? What recipes do you think would feature well in college student cookbooks?

Utilizing frozen vegetables and long-lasting vegetables (like apples, potatoes, oranges, and onions)
Ways to use up the not-so-long-lasting vegetables (spinach, other greens)
Ways to put as many veggies as possible:
- in marinara sauce
- in lasagna
- in stews
- smoothies (I am utterly crepe at making smoothies)

I actually think that PETA book isn't bad. It's the recipes. There are no pictures or anything, but the layout is good. Some books I have actually have such sucky layouts I don't want to read them.

I would totally buy any book that doesn't have Tofutti cream cheese or sour cream in everything!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 am 
Tofu Pup

Wow, you guys are giving some awesome feedback! I'm going to start working on this full-force when school ends in May.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:25 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Go for it :)

And include some recipes for people that don't have access to a full kitchen. I'm well past college age, but remember less than fondly how dorm-dwelling put a hurting on my eating habits.

Heck, I'd read your book/zine - I've got the cooking skills of the average college kid :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

make a zine!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:48 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Another good piece of equipment to target: electric hot pot.

Lots of good reasons to minimize use of expensive faux meats & faux cheese even though they are increasingly found in mainstream stores.