| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Translating Veganomicon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:27 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

..into german. that would be great. not only because my mom would really like to check out the books from which i make amazing things..

some reasons:

* veg*ism is quite popular in germany (especially when compared to france or spain.. at least french and spanish people have told me that to them it seems like tons of people in germany are vegetarians, whereas it's really really uncommon in f/s) = big market

* about 90 million native speakers = big market

* most native german speakers don't know english well enough that they'd buy a cookbook in english.

* there are almost no vegan cookbooks in german, and the ones that exist are mostly very hippie or otherwise unappealing. (i mean, attila hildmann - seriously??)

* veganomicon is awesome.

* i'd even translate it myself. ha.

no seriously, who needs to be approached here? the original publishing house, or one that would publish in germany?
i'm kinda scared about that last part because i expect them to mess it up.. like changing the layout to something hippie, translation mistakes, not converting measurings (i think a german version should use grams for ingredients like flour, sugar etc and not only cups)

Post subject: Re: Translating Veganomicon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:55 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

There are UK versions for most of Isa's books as far as I know (definitely for Vegan With A Vengeance anyway), so the measurement conversions are done for those, that's one less issue to worry about. I also think veganomicon is awesome and I'm trying to learn German! I'm not sure what you have to do to get a book translated unfortunately, I guess the book publisher has to be convinced that there is a big enough market. I noticed Eating Animals was published very quickly in a German version and I definitely picked up a veggie-positive vibe when I was in Munich so maybe these are some good signs?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i'd be curious to see what Isa's got to say about this. There have been times when I've thought about it (usually while eating poor excuses for good vegan food here).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've thought about it too (translating to Dutch then, in my case).

A lot of people are scared because they feel their English isn't good enough, and they don't want to waste money on something they can't use. The cup vs. grams thing is certainly an issue too, though cup-sizes are available in a certain cookware store.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have thought about translating recipes onto a website because in some countries, the vegan movement is not strong and it would really help to have a website in the native language with good recipes. However, I would never do it out of respect to the authors who deserve all the credit and extra book sales for their amazing work. One day, I'll have to come up with my own recipes....*maybe* :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I hear you on the unappealing thing - black forest cake with soyatoo? Umm... I've thought for a while that there might be a niche for writing a book in German from scratch. I know sod all about local culinary traditions, since my family is Transylvanian, but I'm sure there's some ground there that hasn't been covered before, in English or otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm curious why Skinny Bisque (and SB in the Kitch) were translated into Polish (with horrible mistakes - I have translated versions but I check in google books often cause nuts and other products names are mistranslated) when hardly ever mock meats and soy cheeses are available in shops.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

spaceage wrote:
I'm curious why Skinny Bisque (and SB in the Kitch) were translated into Polish (with horrible mistakes - I have translated versions but I check in google books often cause nuts and other products names are mistranslated) when hardly ever mock meats and soy cheeses are available in shops.

i'm guessing it's just to make money, with not much thought given to the how the people buying the book would make the recipes. which is sad, but i can't imagine any other reason for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i'm guessing it's just to make money, with not much thought given to the how the people buying the book would make the recipes. which is sad, but i can't imagine any other reason for it.

Me too but still I can't belie that no one in publishing house hadn't checked that. On the other hand SB was a quite big hit so maybe that won. Also Polish edition has different cover and I think that something from originals version spirit is lost. But still it would but ok when the recipes would be translated without so big mistakes. Anyway it's better to have any vegan book translated into Polish than no books at all ;).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Veglicious wrote:
There are UK versions for most of Isa's books as far as I know
The Veganomicon I bought (in England) uses American measurements, which threw me as I am metric to the core. Also, an English 'cup' is not the same as an American 'cup'. And we measure solids by weight, not volume. Anyway...

Yes, Germany would be a good market (esp. compared to France or Spain), as American food and German food have a reasonable amount in common.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Both sets of cups I've bought in England have been the same as American cups - or am I missing something obvious?

I use cups so much now I can't get on with weighing, but ideally it's nice to get both.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:50 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Actually I'm just wondering if I bought my measuring cups in the US now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

According to wikipedia, a UK pint is 1.2 US pints, so if a cup is defined as half a pint, then a UK cup is bigger than a US cup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_we ... 9_measures

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:53 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
spaceage wrote:

Definitely to make money, they didn't give a shiitake about availability. I remember one recipe calling for vegan swiss cheese. Don't know if it exists now, but it definitely didn't while I had that book.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

Most book editors rely on non-professional translators to save money. They pay such ridicoulous rates (between 1/2 to 1/5th of the normal asking price) that no translator worth her salt will accept unless it is for a cause close to her heart. Therefore, if someone wanted to have a decent translation of, say, Veganomicon, they should first look for a professional (ie. a real)translator, then see if she'll work at a fraction of her usual price to further the cause of veganism. A pro would know about metric/imperial conversion as well as about the availability of ingredients for the target audience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 am 
Tofu Pup

A lot of open source software projects are being translated by volunteers. Some people from germany could team up and translate veganomicon for free! I'm no professional translator, but i'm from germany and i wouldn't mind translating veganomicon in my free time with the help of other like-minded people. That would be a lot of fun! I just don't know how much work it is, i don't own that cookbook so it could take a lot of time?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:39 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I asked Isa some time ago because I had the same problem/idea, translating Vcon in Italian, but I see that German would probably be a larger market both language-wise and veggi-wise.
However I never got a reply from Isa so I guess she's not interested.
A volunteers translation I think would infringe some author's rights.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:21 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Translators are expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I think most people are more bothered by the measurements than by the language. Without american cups, it can be pretty time consuming. And there are some good german vegan cookbooks! (Cucina vegana for example, my mother has it. Vegan lecker lecker has very easy recipes. Vegan Wondercakes is a great baking book. The Ox cookbooks (I don't have them, sadly, but I hear they are great). Just for those of you who want to learn german...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

mollyjade wrote:
Translators are expensive.

True and as there is plenty of job to go around, they're not about to lower their rates. But then, you have to consider that a "real" translator has a university degree. Many clients ask for a translator with a Masters degree (preferably summa custard laude!), so they know they'll have to pay a hefty sum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:14 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, but some of us here actually are "real translators".... I can only speak for myself, but I would be willing to do it as a labor of love (as i've been doing a lot of stuff for Japan lately).
However, in the case of translating Vcon, I'd like to see it being done as something that would benefit the author, not the publisher. I fear that the lack of dialog on the whole thing indicates that the publisher is the one who would really benefit, not Isa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Of course it's the editor who'll benefit, he basically owns the book (or at least the rights). At best, Isa might get a small percentage from the sales in foreign languages (it depends on her contract).