| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Underrated cookbooks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was surprised to see one of my favorites used for $1 on amazon! Vegan Family Meals by Ann Gentry http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 1391457177

Another favorite of mine that I never hear about is The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein.

What are your favorite underrated or forgotten cookbooks?

Post subject: Re: Underrated cookbooks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You are looking at the used book price -- new, the Ann Gentry book retails for just a little under $15. That said, I love that cookbook! And I agree it seems to be underrated. There is a topic/thread for Vegan Family Meals here at the PPK but it doesn't get much action.

I haven't used the Klein cookbook much, although I do own it.

For me a vastly underrated but terrific cookbook is Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks. It is a vegetarian cookbook but not vegan. Even so, I've found plenty of vegan recipes to cook out of it. It won the James Beard award, and is an amazing compendium of recipes from Jewish communities around the world, with some history thrown in (including things like maps that show things like the spreading of phyllo dogh and puff pastry across parts of Europe and the Middle East). I always learn something new when I open it, and the recipes are wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LFL wrote:

For me a vastly underrated but terrific cookbook is Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks. It is a vegetarian cookbook but not vegan. Even so, I've found plenty of vegan recipes to cook out of it. It won the James Beard award, and is an amazing compendium of recipes from Jewish communities around the world, with some history thrown in (including things like maps that show things like the spreading of phyllo dogh and puff pastry across parts of Europe and the Middle East). I always learn something new when I open it, and the recipes are wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder about that book! Years ago there was a blog that I used to read and the author used that book a lot. The food looked so tasty and I always meant to find a copy of the book to try out, but I forgot all about it!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

The Blooming Platter immediately jumps to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have the Indian Vegan Cookbook and I just love it
http://www.amazon.com/The-Indian-Vegan- ... n+cookbook

It does not seem to get much attention here, or on other vegan-cooking websites either! I like her flavor profiles, the recipes are super easy, they are pretty darn healthy too. Also, according to my former co-worker, who was Indian, very authentic. At least as far as her experience went. But of course, there are a lot of food/flavor differences among the different areas of India.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Chicki wrote:

It does not seem to get much attention here, or on other vegan-cooking websites either! I like her flavor profiles, the recipes are super easy, they are pretty darn healthy too. Also, according to my former co-worker, who was Indian, very authentic. At least as far as her experience went. But of course, there are a lot of food/flavor differences among the different areas of India.

+1 for this. Love this and her Indian Slow Cooker Cookbook, which is also vegan-friendly. I'm Indian, and these are definitely easy but authentic recipes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:31 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

"The Vegan Boulangerie" is the one that springs to my mind first. It looks lame because it is self-published, but the recipes I tried were delicious, and they are so varied.

I also like the following a lot: the "A Vegan Taste of..." series by Linda Majzlik (good recipes from many regions of the world), "The Vegan Family Cookbook" (truly simple, straightforward recipes) and "Tofu 1-2-3" (all kinds of vegan recipes using tofu).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:00 am 
***LIES!!!***

I love Olive Trees and Honey and The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen - use them both all the time. I think Klein's books are underrated in general, they're all amazing Same for Bryanna Clark Grogan, we use 20 Minutes to Dinner all the damn time and I don't think I've ever heard someone mention it (although World Vegan Feast has gotten more play). We also love The Ethnic Vegetarian (not entirely vegan).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:47 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I love World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey. It's not Vegan, but with 650 recipes total, it leaves you with, I'd say, at least 400 which are, and many of the others are easily convertible. So many of my favorite recipes have come out of this book...I'm salivating just thinking about the tomato-tamarind potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I agree with pretty much every recommendation here! There are so many great under-rated cookbooks!
I would definitely add Voluptuous Vegan to the list, I love that book SO MUCH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, Voluptuous Vegan is an incredible cookbook! I've never come across a dud in it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I absolutely love Tess Challis' books. She never gets the love!!
(Her cookbooks turned me vegan!)

http://www.radianthealth-innerwealth.com/newbook.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Ariann wrote:
...The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen - use them both all the time. I think Klein's books are underrated in general, they're all amazing

I totally agree with Donna Klein's books (especially the Supermarket Vegan & Carribbean Vegan). I use them all the time. Her recipes are quick, easy, and typically don't use "fancy" ingredients - and definitely no fake meat products (a plus in my book).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Chicki wrote:

I really love this cookbook too. I actually think its in my top 3 in terms of recipe use. I like how the recipes are not only healthy and easy, but really flexible too. I also appreciate that she is not afraid of spice and heat. I have some cookbooks and have learned that I pretty much have to double the spices to my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

J_Rice wrote:
Ariann wrote:
...The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen - use them both all the time. I think Klein's books are underrated in general, they're all amazing

I totally agree with Donna Klein's books (especially the Supermarket Vegan & Carribbean Vegan). I use them all the time. Her recipes are quick, easy, and typically don't use "fancy" ingredients - and definitely no fake meat products (a plus in my book).

I've made some really good dinners out of Supermarket Vegan. Super easy, and flavorful. I especially like the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the Donna Klein books are rated appropriately. Like, her food is pretty good and simple but not that interesting or groundbreaking. I have her Mediterranean and Italian books and Supermarket Vegan.

kidsdoc wrote:
Chicki wrote:

+1 for this. Love this and her Indian Slow Cooker Cookbook, which is also vegan-friendly. I'm Indian, and these are definitely easy but authentic recipes!

Are you thinking of the Anupy Singla books? I love hers, but I'm interested in this one now too though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Marilyn Diamond's "The American Vegetarian Kitchen" has been on my shelf since the '80s, when you couldn't really put "vegan" in the title of your cookbook if you wanted anyone to buy it (it is vegan, though). I still go to it a lot, mostly for simple-but-yummy vegetable preparations, soups and salads. The vegetable section is alphabetized, which I LOVE.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've loved every recipe from Another Dinner is Possible. Also the Peta Vegan College Cookbook (basically easy junk food but very tasty)

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Star wrote:
I've loved every recipe from Another Dinner is Possible. Also the Peta Vegan College Cookbook (basically easy junk food but very tasty)

Yeah I love Another Dinner is Possible too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love love love Kris Holechek's books - especially "The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes" and "Have Your Cake and Vegan Too". I don't think I know anyone else who has them, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes is the baking book I've used the most. It's very easy and approachable and except for one of the brownie recipes i've liked everything out of it. I thought it was weird/sad that she released a non-vegen cookbook in 2012. Maybe that's childish but it made me less interested in her other cookbooks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

creep wrote:
I think the Donna Klein books are rated appropriately. Like, her food is pretty good and simple but not that interesting or groundbreaking. I have her Mediterranean and Italian books and Supermarket Vegan.

kidsdoc wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Are you thinking of the Anupy Singla books? I love hers, but I'm interested in this one now too though.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the Donna Klein books. I like the Tropical one best but the others are all a bit samey and the recipes can be bland.

I'm confused about the Indian books too - I love the Anupy Singla one (who wrote a slow cooker one) but the one linked to above I find pretty dull and have hardly touched it.

I think Caribbean Vegan is very underrated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 am 
Chard Martyr

I found The Ayurvedic Vegan Kitchen for 80% off yesterday and though I've yet to try anything and I am a bit skeptical, it actually looks really great!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

elizabee wrote:
Marilyn Diamond's "The American Vegetarian Kitchen" has been on my shelf since the '80s, when you couldn't really put "vegan" in the title of your cookbook if you wanted anyone to buy it (it is vegan, though). I still go to it a lot, mostly for simple-but-yummy vegetable preparations, soups and salads. The vegetable section is alphabetized, which I LOVE.

I just ordered this. Amazon only has it through 3rd party sellers, but I got a good price, and I imagine I'll use it quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:05 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

150 Vegan Muffins has had absolutely no fails for me, and I love it. So many awesome muffin combos. Unfortunately, a lot of the recipes call for soy yogurt, so I haven't used it as much since the shortage. (Can't even get any kind of plain yogurt here now, soy or otherwise.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.