| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theme suggestions for cookbook authors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am not sure whether a thread like this one already exists, anyway I didn't find one.

I often find myself thinking "Oh, I'd love it if there was a vegan cookbook that was entirely about this or about that", so what I suggest is that we give cookbook authors little hints hints nudges nudges about what kind of books we'd feel happiest to find on the market. It could be new themes or ones that were already treated in vegan books but not to our personal satisfaction.

I'd love to get books about:

Bentos (Japanese or not, non-charaben and simple, similar to non-vegan Ten-Minute Bentos or The Just Bento Cookbook, and with foods that aren't liquid or using fake meat)
Christmas logs
Éclairs (like this one...)
Maple Syrup (like this)
Breads (a big comprehensive book, from raisin bread to sourdough to baguettes to croissants to scones)
Potatoes (yes, I'd like a whole book from scalloped potatoes to French fries, please)
Dim Sum
Vegetables or fruit in general (like this and this)
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (I know that'd be more of a challenge)
Authentic Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodgian, Greek or Italian cuisine
Street Food
Tapas
One of those cute bouncy little shaped books about one ingredient or food like the livres-objets by Larousse (I know, I know, that's the child in me speaking, but I WANT one)
Cookbook kits (like those with a mini cookbook about stamped cookies and a stamp, or those with a bento book and a bento box together). Not crappy kits like a tartlet cookbook that comes with two tartlet moulds when the recipes make six tartlets.

For French pâtisserie I know good Websites in French, but I'm ready to bet English-speaking readers would like to have English-language books about that.

And of course, gorgeous pictures and designs wouldn't hurt :) Not that I don't love some vegan cookbooks without pictures, but I do think what first drifted me to veganism was that I saw attractive vegan cookbooks on Amazon that tempted me, shallow as it is. A sparkle of interest can lead to informing oneself a little and trying new things, and it can all go from there!

I hope I haven't made you all hungry ;)

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Theme suggestions for cookbook authors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

I would kill for an international pastry book.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Minatomachi wrote:
Bentos (Japanese or not, non-charaben and simple, similar to non-vegan Ten-Minute Bentos or The Just Bento Cookbook, and with foods that aren't liquid or using fake meat)

I believe Vegan Lunch Box and Vegan Lunch Box Around the World by Jennifer McCann are both vegan bento box cookbooks. They aren't Japanese, but they might be what you're looking for.

Minatomachi wrote:
Breads (a big comprehensive book, from raisin bread to sourdough to baguettes to croissants to scones)

Whole Grain Vegan Baking by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes and Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread:Artisanal Recipes to Make at Home by Jennifer Katzinger and Kathryn Barnard may fit the bill here.

Minatomachi wrote:
Authentic Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodgian, Greek or Italian cuisine

I don't know if there are vegan cookbooks on these topics but there are certainly vegetarian ones for some of them. I own The Greek Vegetarian by Diane Kochilas and while most of the recipes are more time consuming than I usually make (I am a slow cook), the vegan ones I've made have been good.

Minatomachi wrote:
Street Food
Tapas

I would welcome this type of cookbook. I've toyed with purchasing Susan Feniger's Street Food, an omni cookbook with some vegan adaptable recipes. When I ate at Feniger's restaurant, Street, the food was very good.

Minatomachi wrote:
One of those cute bouncy little shaped books about one ingredient or food like the

I used to love them too, but I wonder if the issue is that there isn't enough of a market for vegan versions of these.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:01 pm 

What I would really love is an extensive, high quality and vegan Tibetan or Nepalese cookbook. I discovered this cuisine a few years a go and fell in love with it.

I'd also love more vegan cookbooks of only fast recipes. I'm slow cook so I can never have enough of these.

blondiefk wrote:
I would kill for an international pastry book.

Yes, that would rock! Although some international pastries depend on meringue and the like--almond dacquoise for example. I think eggs and whipping cream can only be substituted for up to a point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LFL wrote:
Minatomachi wrote:

I believe Vegan Lunch Box and Vegan Lunch Box Around the World by Jennifer McCann are both vegan bento box cookbooks. They aren't Japanese, but they might be what you're looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions. I own Vegan Lunch Box Around the World and am not overly impressed by it, so I wish other authors would give the subject a try.

LFL wrote:
What I would really love is an extensive, high quality and vegan Tibetan or Nepalese cookbook. I discovered this cuisine a few years a go and fell in love with it.

I don't know Tibetan and Nepalese cooking, but I'd like to.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

Beans,
Leafy greens,

There are two new ones for each of those themes, but they are the first two in a LONG time. I think I've only found one other vegan bean book. Ordinary everyday recipes for people who don't know them would be nice in addition to exotic recipes.

Some other features I enjoy in a cookbook, that make me consider buying it rather than getting recipes off of the internet:

- glossy color pictures, and near the recipe
- spiral lay flat binding
- nutrition information
- nutrition information that is easy to use, for example "per" some easy to use measurement, like a cup, rather than a "serving" ( divide the batch yourself, figure it out yourself )
- serving suggestions for making complete meals.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I'd suggest Peter Reinhart for bread books. They are not specifically vegan but many of the recipes are.
He knows from bread.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

pandacookie wrote:
I'd suggest Peter Reinhart for bread books. They are not specifically vegan but many of the recipes are.
He knows from bread.

Thanks. His books look impressive. Except for this one, which kind of scares me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

For Tibetan books, this isn't very extensive, but I have a sweet little low-budget book called The Kopan Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from a Tibetan Monastery by Betty Jung. It's vegetarian but I've easily veganized most of it.

There is also an omni cookbook called The Lhasa Moon Tibetan Cookbook, another low-budget book from a restaurant in California. It has some vegetarian dishes and you can veganize many with a little creativity. Certain things, you probably might not even want to go there, though (like butter tea, dried cheese, etc.). It doesn't really taste exactly like the food I remember from traveling in Tibet (and I was only veg at the time, it was so hard to be vegan there!) but it's pretty good for homemade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Kid-friendly lunchbox and snack ideas. I have both of Jennifer McCann's books (Vegan Lunchbox), but she relies so heavily on fake meat products. Her recipes also can be pretty-time-consuming. I'd like something realistic and more whole-foods. And few nuts....my kids have nut-allergies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:20 am 
Naked Under Apron

Minatomachi wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
He knows from bread.

Thanks. His books look impressive. Except for this one, which kind of scares me.

Yep. He writes in his books that almost any milk can be subbed and liquid sweetener. I love his writing, because it's more about technique than prescriptive ingredients, though the sweets section is obviously not vegan (brioche, too). Overall I'm really happy to have a few of his books.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:24 am 
Naked Under Apron

If you were going to get one Peter Reinhart book which would it be?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I would love vegan cookbooks about tapas and potatoes as well.

I also want seasonal/ holiday themed cookbooks- Christmas, Thanksgiving, autumn, spring, etc. My biggest problem when looking for recipes in cookbooks is that half of them aren't appropriate for the occasion, or the ingredients aren't in season. Also, because I usually only cook from recipes on occasions (dinner party, holiday), I love cookbooks that have complete menu suggestions- I can never make up my mind about what I should serve with what and I just like to be told what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 am 
Naked Under Apron

blondiefk wrote:

Bread baker's apprentice if you really want to learn all about bread, but if you just want a cookbook I'd say the artisan breads one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

J_Rice wrote:
Kid-friendly lunchbox and snack ideas. I have both of Jennifer McCann's books (Vegan Lunchbox), but she relies so heavily on fake meat products. Her recipes also can be pretty-time-consuming. I'd like something realistic and more whole-foods.

That sums up my problem with those books. I find the results pretty bland, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

beforewisdom wrote:
Beans,
Leafy greens,

There are two new ones for each of those themes, but they are the first two in a LONG time. I think I've only found one other vegan bean book.

Romancing the Bean is another good bean book. It was my first veg cookbook, I think, but I can't remember if it's vegetarian or vegan. Definitely mostly vegan, if not completely. It's kind of old and might be out of print, not sure. And there's The Great Vegan Bean Book, which I assume is the one you're already talking about.

The Wild About Greens book is the only one that comes to mind for leafy greens specifically though, and I find it kind of boring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pickledtreats wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Bread baker's apprentice if you really want to learn all about bread, but if you just want a cookbook I'd say the artisan breads one.

I have Artisan Breads Every Day and I like it a lot. It's pretty involved but not overwhelming, and the stuff I've made has been great. And it's not a huge book, but there's a good variety of recipes. I think the English muffins from there have been the biggest hit so far!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erinnerung wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

I have Artisan Breads Every Day and I like it a lot. It's pretty involved but not overwhelming, and the stuff I've made has been great. And it's not a huge book, but there's a good variety of recipes. I think the English muffins from there have been the biggest hit so far!

I have Bread Baker's Apprentice and it's amazing. The stories, the photography, the recipes, everything. But like Erinnerung said, it has a lot of non-recipe stuff in it, and a lot of it is learning about bread. But if you are into bread baking, it's a fascinating read.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:41 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks for the recommendations. Now I want both!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't know how popular it would be, because I guess there wouldn't be any complete meals in it, but I would *love* a book entirely focused on condiments, sauces, etc. You know, dip, pate, gravy, sauce, relish, chutney, pickles, jams, spice blends, mayo, dressings, syrups, etc. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I'd also love a book that concentrates on spicy ethnic food. I know there are world cuisine books, and then there's Fire and Spice, but I haven't found any of the recipes I've tried from that one to be particularly spicy. A book that explains the flavour profiles and spice blends of different cuisines, goes into the history of how they've developed and been influenced by other cuisines, discusses culture, customs, etc, would be great. My favourite in this vein is The Ethnic Vegetarian. Something like that with a broader scope, and everything hot and spicy!!

Another book I'd *love* to buy is one that has a chapter for each decade of the 20th century, capturing the trends of the time, but making the food more palatable to modern tastes, of course. For example, there were a lot of vegetarian cookbooks during wartime rationing with some really crazy, inventive recipes. Love fun 50s and 70s retro style food, and the 80s obsession with terrines and 90s fad for stacks. That would be a great book!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Karena wrote:
I'd also love a book that concentrates on spicy ethnic food. I know there are world cuisine books, and then there's Fire and Spice, but I haven't found any of the recipes I've tried from that one to be particularly spicy. A book that explains the flavour profiles and spice blends of different cuisines, goes into the history of how they've developed and been influenced by other cuisines, discusses culture, customs, etc, would be great. My favourite in this vein is The Ethnic Vegetarian. Something like that with a broader scope, and everything hot and spicy!!

I was thinking a couple of weeks ago that I would love a good curry cookbook- one that was all about making curry pastes and powders from scratch, and then using those to make dishes. And definitely one that covers off on more than just Thailand and India. I guess all I really want is more Cambodian food, all the time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Karena wrote:
Another book I'd *love* to buy is one that has a chapter for each decade of the 20th century, capturing the trends of the time, but making the food more palatable to modern tastes, of course. For example, there were a lot of vegetarian cookbooks during wartime rationing with some really crazy, inventive recipes. Love fun 50s and 70s retro style food, and the 80s obsession with terrines and 90s fad for stacks. That would be a great book!!

I'm pretty sure Bianca, the author of Vegan Crunk, is working on something like that right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm 

mandycoot wrote:
For Tibetan books, this isn't very extensive, but I have a sweet little low-budget book called The Kopan Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from a Tibetan Monastery by Betty Jung. It's vegetarian but I've easily veganized most of it.

There is also an omni cookbook called The Lhasa Moon Tibetan Cookbook, another low-budget book from a restaurant in California. It has some vegetarian dishes and you can veganize many with a little creativity. Certain things, you probably might not even want to go there, though (like butter tea, dried cheese, etc.). It doesn't really taste exactly like the food I remember from traveling in Tibet (and I was only veg at the time, it was so hard to be vegan there!) but it's pretty good for homemade.

I recently purchased The Kopan Cookbook and was disappointed that it only has a few main dishes. The potato soup looks intriguing. What are your favorite recipes from The Kopan Cookbook?

Does The Lhasa Moon Cookbook have more veganizable entrees than The Kopan Cookbook? And which of the cookbooks do you prefer as far as recipe quality?

Incidentally, I have Taste of Nepal by Jyoti Pathak, an omni cookbook. The cuisine of Nepal is similar to that of Tibet, and this cookbook seems more authentic. There are a number of vegan or veganizable recipes (more than in The Kopan Cookbook, certainly) but many require hard-to-find ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:53 pm 

Karena wrote:
I don't know how popular it would be, because I guess there wouldn't be any complete meals in it, but I would *love* a book entirely focused on condiments, sauces, etc. You know, dip, pate, gravy, sauce, relish, chutney, pickles, jams, spice blends, mayo, dressings, syrups, etc. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

There are omni cookbooks along these lines and I bet many of the recipes in them are veganizable. One that's coming out in August is The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook by Erin Coopey.

Karena wrote:

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I wonder if The Veggie Lover's Sriracha Cookbook by Randy Clemens would appeal to you. All fifty or so recipes are vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Karena wrote:

sorta like your dream book
http://www.amazon.com/The-Saucy-Vegetar ... 1570670919

and yup, bianca of cookin' crunk is doing a cookbook just like that now.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next