| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karolina tegelaar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:56 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi friends,

Have any of you here heard about Karolina Tegelaar. She is the author of many cookbooks. I came across her blog when I was looking for sturdy vegan layer cake with tender crumb. She is so talented and creative. Unfortunately all her books are in Swedish. I wanted to know if any of her books were translated into English.

Post subject: Re: Karolina tegelaar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 am 
Huffs Nooch

I know about her! :) (rather obviously, being a vegan cookbook maniac) and her newest cookbook "Stora boken om naturligt glutenfri bakning" (The Big Book about naturally glutenfree baking) I have often paged through in places where it's sold or at libraries. Can't afford to buy it right now though :(

Have you tried contacting the author/publisher?
http://shop.textalk.se/se/contact.php?id=42280 (the field at the bottom is a captcha).

Praefekt Omnimedia is the publisher (which I think she owns herself or at least co-owns IIRR). Her older books are mostly sold out though and hard to find. It could be a bit of a hassle to translate the book though since she has come up with some very interesting glutenfree flour mixes which might be harder to make outside of Sweden/Europe and several of the recipes are rather typically swedish.

For those needing some background: Karolina is a very creative biology researcher who has made it her hobby to write vegan cookbooks and even vegan cookbooks with multiple allergies cared for. All her recipes are free from egg and milk products and some of the later ones also free from gluten - and many even free from soy, nuts and similar allergens as well.

Her latest (which was 4 years in the making) is both vegan and glutenfree and contains 150 really beautifully looking recipes for everthing from glutenfree pancakes to glutenfree cinnamon buns (which do look completetly like their normal counterparts!) to bread (admittedly there are not that many bread recipes than the other sweeter stuff but there are several nonetheless).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:42 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

On her website she writes that there a plans to translate her books both into English and German.
http://kakboken.com/in-english/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Wouldn't hurt showing them there is demand for translations already :) by using the link above :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm excited to learn about her, thanks! My family is Swedish and I've always wanted to make vegan versions of all the desserts I remember from when I was a kid. Unfortunately my Swedish is limited but it'd be great to have English translations someday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks for the info everyone . I have been using Google translate for two of her cake recipes she has on her website. It helped but it's funny how Google translates recipes into emotional drama using phrases like 'don't kill the flour ' or 'overriding the batter' lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:00 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So, with my first salary from my new job I have bought her latest cookbook "Stora boken om naturligt glutenfri bakning" (The Big Book about naturally glutenfree baking) :)
Drooled over the pictures and some of the recipes on the commute home today :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:40 am 
Huffs Nooch

Now having made about 3-4 recipes out of this cookbook I must say I am even more impressed! They turned out both pleasing to the eye and good tasting!
That I botched the frosting of the "cherry-and-chocolate-cake" by adding coconut milk was my own fault - it still tasted good and I got raves about it (especially the day after when the cake really "had settled" tastewise).