| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think I'm starting to get mild rosacea :( I've always suffered with sensitive skin but this is new to me. Anyone had experience with this and have any suggestions to help me nip it in the bud before I look twice my age?

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have no help, Rosie. . . But I wanted to share my routine too!

Right now I'm looking for a good non-scrub cleanser. Mine calls itself "daily" and I think says you can use multiple times a day, but I feel it's kind of abrasive to use twice in one day? You know? Hmm.

For the most part, I wash my face with Yes to Tomatoes daily scrub and follow it up with a homemade toner made up of witch hazel, tea tree oil, and water. I was using the Alba toner for acne, but when I ran out I wanted to use some post-bed-bug tea tree oil I had lying around. It works quite well! It's a bit irritating, but nothing major. Just some mild redness. I then moisturize with the Yes to Tomatoes moisturizer on most of my face, one of the cheapy ELF lip balms on my lips, and Altharia Moroccan eye cream on my eyes.

If I'm wearing makeup, I start everything off using the ELF makeup remover wipes.

About twice a week, I use the kind of iffy but whatever Freeman dead sea minerals mask. It helps a lot with my redness and a little with my acne. If I have a lot of period-time blackheads, I'll use the cucumber peel-off mask from the same brand.

For spot treatment, I had been using ELF's roll-on stick. When I ran out and was again using up tea tree oil, I went to putting that straight up with jojoba oil as a carrier. It works alright! I'm pretty satisfied with everything, just the aforementioned "non-scrub wash" thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:03 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I figured out a pretty great routine for my (apparently pretty easy?) skin a while back, and have been scared to deviate. I used to have breakouts pretty much constantly - at least 2 or 3 bumps at a time. Since I figured out this combo, it's more like 2 or 3 a month at most.

I don't wear much makeup, and what I do use has worn off by the end of the day. I found that if I wash my face at night, it has a negative effect on my skin. So I only wash in the morning. I've been using african black soap for about 6 years now, and can't imagine cleansing with anything else. This stuff has been a near miracle for my normal-oily skin. SO many fewer breakouts!! I buy a 1 lb block from Amazon every few years - it goes a really long way.

My routine:
Morning - wash with african black soap, moisturize with Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer.
About once a week, I use the Queen Helene mint julep mask. Occasionally, I'll use a coffee scrub by Frank Body if my skin feels like it needs a little extra.
That's it. That's my whole routine. I think I want to add some sort of daily eye cream or serum, because I'm starting to see some serious aging around that area.

So... I know the Neutrogena isn't CF, but I'm scared to experiment. My skin has had some really unpleasant reactions to other moisturizers. I get little breakouts from time to time, but nothing like I used to have. I've switched it out with Target's Up & Up version and noticed no difference, but they aren't CF either, right? Anyone have suggestions? My skin is on the oily side of normal, so anything that adds oil does not end well. And I'd prefer for it to have at least SPF 25, because I'm lazy and unlikely to add another step.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

missmuffcake wrote:
Alyx wrote:
I could use some suggestions for face washes and sunscreens/lotions... preferably ones with lighter oils that are non-drying?

there is a lot in this thread. what type of skin do you have?

PROBLEM: so i have talked before about being a stress picker. halloween things got bad. i have a giant scab now on my chin i am babying with oil. tiny pimple turns into a crater. but the bump on my nose, well, it keeps coming and going. i put a bandaid on it sunday night, monday woke up and it was flat - just the scab. then i must of hit it last night - my nose had a trail of blood all around the scab. it is all dark & crusty.
i told my dude maybe i need to go see a derm, he thinks that is a waste of $. i want the damn bump gone for good. what to do?

My skin is dry because I was on Accutane a few years ago, but naturally I'm an oil slick and unfortunately I react to almost everything... I'm currently using Neutrogena also, and even that tends to be a little iffy at times. I can use light oils like jojoba and Gravesend sometimes without disaster ensuing. I also try to stick to very high SPFs because I have a family history of skin cancer, and a few scares of my own. I normally can find at best an SPF 15 that's vegan. I'm lost!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

oddspongeout wrote:

Right now I'm looking for a good non-scrub cleanser. Mine calls itself "daily" and I think says you can use multiple times a day, but I feel it's kind of abrasive to use twice in one day? You know? Hmm.

Well, I happen to think that using any kind of cleanser on your face more than once a day can be abrasive. I try to only use a cleanser once a day, but if I do use something more than once, I like Paula's Choice Hydralight
http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-c ... -Cleanser/

Its really gentle so you could use it in the AM and PM if you want to. its not cheap, but I find that a little goes a long way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So on a leap of faith, re-reading the Neutrogena naturals facial cleanser label, I decided it is more or less claiming to be vegan. I am assuming that trying to find an oxybenzone free "environ-friendly" SPF 30 facial moisturizer that suits my skin problems is out of the current realm of possibilities... but I could probably settle for a lower SPF I think. Anyone tried one of the more run of the mill natural brands and liked it? I'm not out in the sun very often, but I'm afraid to go completely bare.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rosie wrote:
I think I'm starting to get mild rosacea :( I've always suffered with sensitive skin but this is new to me. Anyone had experience with this and have any suggestions to help me nip it in the bud before I look twice my age?

Are you just talking skin care wise? I found a vegan creme but now I also had to get one by a company owned by Loreal (so not really vegan) because the other one didn't have any sun protection and it's just not doable anymore. I'm currently using both, the vegan one at night and the la roche posay one during the day.

Everyone has their different triggers but pretty for almost everyone alcohol & sun always makes it worse. For me it's also always worse in the winter because of the heating. If I stay in a room with heating and no open windows for some time I almost always get a flare up (which sucks because it means it almost always happens at university). For me it also has a lot to do with stress and how I eat, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, it's started to get a bit better since summer is over. I'm wearing a moisturiser with spf every day now (didn't before) and I will probably start using facial oil in the evening again now it's winter (I get super dry skin in the winter which I imagine won't help matters).

What's the vegan creme you use?

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i had a great rosacea year but it certainly was a combination of spending the winter elsewhere and the clarisonic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rosie wrote:
Yeah, it's started to get a bit better since summer is over. I'm wearing a moisturiser with spf every day now (didn't before) and I will probably start using facial oil in the evening again now it's winter (I get super dry skin in the winter which I imagine won't help matters).

What's the vegan creme you use?

Putting oil on rosacea is generally not advised, and the moisturizer should be water-based.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:36 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I can't tell if my acne's clearing up or my expectations are lowering. Either way's probably good news.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:05 am 
WRETCHED

Oh my god y'all, my skin is being horribly dry. I think it is because my parents don't have a humidifier with their heater. First my lips were acting up, but I got that in control, now my chin and forehead. I've been moisturizing to no avail. We were at a mall last night and I was going to drop by Lush but we had to leave before I could.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

linanil wrote:
Oh my god y'all, my skin is being horribly dry. I think it is because my parents don't have a humidifier with their heater. First my lips were acting up, but I got that in control, now my chin and forehead. I've been moisturizing to no avail. We were at a mall last night and I was going to drop by Lush but we had to leave before I could.

I keep a small, inexpensive humidifier at the foot of my bed at night. It helps with congestion AND skin.

Mine was ~$25 on Amazon.

One of my coworkers has really REALLy dry skin and eyes, and bought a fancier one for ~200 that she keeps at her desk and at home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Our home has an in home humidifier that is turned on with the heater. I got my skin under control finally but I don't know how my parents live like this, but of course they rarely have to turn the heater on except for this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So most of the time when I put sunscreen on my face I end up with it in my eye within an hour or two then my eye(s) get super red and swollen and water a lot and it's super painful and awful and I have to run to a bathroom to wash them out and they look forked up for the rest of the day, so I generally just don't put sunscreen on my face, which isn't great because I'm super pale and my dad got skin cancer when he was 30. Today it finally occurred to me to Google this problem and I guess I should be using physical sunscreens?

But I'm acne prone so I need something that's not going to make me break out (oil-free preferably) and is totally matte and not greasy. Sunscreen is so expensive so I would like to avoid trial and error and find something that's going to work the first time...ideas? (Also I did not read all 12 pages so if the answer is in here I apologize.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

srock - if you can find some samples from COOLA they might have something that will work for you. I use the Mineral Face SPF 30 Cucumber Matte Finish formula and I like it a lot - but it's not oil free. I did have a sample of it (I can't remember where I got it from though) before I bought the full size, so maybe if you conacted their customer service they could help you out?

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ooh that looks nice and it looks like it's available at a few fancy shops around here.

Has anyone used California Baby Super Sensitive or Badger? I might try those first because they're cheaper--probably Badger first (some of them have beeswax and some don't but it looks like the unscented one doesn't) because it's cheapest and non-comedogenic, though I like the idea of treating my face as if it is a Super Sensitive baby. Looks like Kiss My Face also has options. Are any of these not horrible? If they will all make me look like a greasy ghost I'll go ahead to a fancy shop and splurge on COOLA, but I might be able to get those ones at Whole Foods which would be easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:17 am 

I don't have suggestions, strawberryrock, but if you find one that doesn't make you break out, come back and post it! :) I was using the Juice Beauty CC cream which my skin liked, but it definitely leaves you looking... dewy, let's say. I have samples of Suntegrity that I'm going to try, and then a couple samples from Paula's Choice. They're both pricey though; I'd love to find something more affordable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:10 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I recommend Paula's Choice as well.

I definitely did NOT like badger on my face. Kiss my face & Alba are great, i have those for when i know i am going to be in the sun, but are too greasy for me for everyday wear.

I really like Paula's Choice sunscreens, they do NOT break me out. I have the SPF 50 for hiking and outdoor activities, but I like the 30 SPF daily defense too! Kind of pricey, but a little of the product sure does go a long way. more so than regular store-bought sunscreen (IMO)

They sell samples so you can see if they break you out. The are all $1 or less, just choose the sample size

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-c ... rotection/

Then, once you find something you like and buy, you get 3 samples with every order - i stock up on the sample sizes and take them with me when i travel and/or keep one in my purse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 pm 

Just in case you're going to order- PC has a list of their non-vegan products here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/who-we-are/ ... -products/

I got something with cholesterol in it that is not on the list, but when I emailed about it I was told it's synthetic cholesterol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So I guess the list is ok.

I haven't been wearing sunscreen, which is awful, and this thread has me motivated to dig out my PC samples and give them a go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The coola is AWESOME. I have oily breakout-prone skin and it doesn't cause breakouts for me. I usually only use oil free products but I love the coola for daily sunscreen. You have to shake it up before you put it on because it does tend to separate. I can only stand the badger if I'm at the beach and need something heavy duty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:09 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I really need BHA and benzoyl peroxide suggestions that I can get in Canada (so no CVS, no Target, no Walgreens, no acne.org). I've been ordering Paula's Choice for years and they work great. But they put on an extra $5 charge for Canadians for no reason, our dollar is weak right now, and PC just hiked their prices. So now my bottle of BHA that only lasts a couple of months is $40 Canadian which I don't want to pay. Heeellppp meeeee!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

http://www.phbethicalbeauty.co.uk/about-phb

I recently bought their Brightening Facial Wash with Lime & Turmeric & my shiny nose only needed one powder touch up all day ... I am impressed ...

T-shine woman here ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12