| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Cheap doesn't have to mean China. Hard Candy is made in the US except for the really cheap Christmas gift sets that smell toxic and stain nails. At least according to nail blogs I've read.

Am I the only one completely in awe of the gall of a country noted for exporting lead tainted toys and poisonous baby formula requiring animal tests to be sure that Aveda products are safe for their citizens? I mean, "China" and "consumer safety" are not exactly synonymous terms.

Technically, China does not require animal testing; they reserve the right to conduct a test & won't tell you in advance if they plan on exercising that right. They are unlikely to bow to pressure from American consumers, Chinese animal rights activists, or anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

@strawberryrock

It looks like there might be a UD Hotpants dupe on this website! (I'm not 100% sure, as I don't own Hotpants...)

http://www.morganacryptoria.com/NEW-Sli ... _c_63.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When I walked through Macy's tonight I gave the stink eye to many counters!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

marmoset wrote:
@strawberryrock

It looks like there might be a UD Hotpants dupe on this website! (I'm not 100% sure, as I don't own Hotpants...)

I haven't tried that shade, but I do like the lipsticks from Morgana Cryptoria. Love Lies Bleeding is one of my favorites; a deep, dark red.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

marmoset wrote:
@strawberryrock

Ooh the Bubblegum looks close, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

marmoset wrote:
I have a few thoughts/suggestions on where to find replacements:

For those looking to replace beloved lip colors: Silk Naturals (http://www.silknaturals.com). Not all of their lipsticks and glosses are vegan, but they have separate categories for the vegan ones. And they are really nice and affordable. (Not affiliated, just a happy customer.) (They have some nice vegan skin care as well, especially some of their serums.)

they have an ud naked palette dupe that appears to be vegan and less expensive than the real one. i want it so bad!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:31 am 

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
marmoset wrote:
I have a few thoughts/suggestions on where to find replacements:

For those looking to replace beloved lip colors: Silk Naturals (http://www.silknaturals.com). Not all of their lipsticks and glosses are vegan, but they have separate categories for the vegan ones. And they are really nice and affordable. (Not affiliated, just a happy customer.) (They have some nice vegan skin care as well, especially some of their serums.)

they have an ud naked palette dupe that appears to be vegan and less expensive than the real one. i want it so bad!

Me too! It's on my wish list. I just haven't taken the plunge yet. Here's the link for anyone else who's interested:
http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/naked ... -1200.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 am 
Inflexitarian

Er, this may not be the right place to ask, but what brands *are* reliably vegan? Or are we no longer sure because we don't know who sells in China? I've been using Smashbox and ELF....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:01 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Smashbox is also selling in China, right?

And I've always wondered about ELF, too, since their prices are so low.

The thing I'm going to have the most difficulty replacing is the foundation primer ("pore-fecting" and "de-slick"). Is MAC still okay? Stila?

Sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Smashbox and MAC are owned by Estee Lauder, who now sells in China. The most reliable list I know of is Leaping Bunny. They do include companies like Pureology that are owned by parent company (L'Oreal)--but those are clearly marked. As for those that aren't owned by a parent company, I don't think any of them sell in China.

There was a question upthread about why Laura Mercier isn't included in the Leaping Bunny List, since their parent company (Alticor/Amway) doesn't test on animals. It might just be they don't want to be associated with a company who's given so much money to right-wing causes? Or, it could just be that the Leaping Bunny list is incomplete--I do know that what is listed on there is pretty accurate.

Peta's list seems pretty inconsistent to me, so I really only use it to cross-reference. I don't know why Peta would take all Estee Lauder-owned cosmetics off its list and keep BareEscentuals, who is owned by Shiseido (sells in China).

I'm still trying to figure out if Boscia and Too Faced are safe--the former is owned by a large Japanese company, and I can't find any information on whether they test. Too Faced has no parent company, but I don't know if it sells in China.

I've been obnoxiously picky about my makeup, and also won't use anything with parabens. I really like the ZuZu Luxe stuff. BWC, 100% Pure, Alima Pure, Gabriel, and No Miss are all brands I can use (No Miss started making some loose eyeshadows that are pretty inexpensive--you can find them on Pangea).

In spite of my own pickiness, though, I will echo that continuing to use products that sell in China isn't going to diminish the good you're doing as a vegan. I gave up the battle with razors and toothpaste a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I swear by occ for lipsticks www.occmakeup.com
and Everyday Minerals for foundation , powder , blush , eye stuff , brushes ( such nice brushes!) http://www.everydayminerals.com/. EDM are also constantly doing promos, kits and sales so you can snag stuff for really cheap and try new products out. They also give free samples. I use some Silk Naturals stuff , mostly more "funky" eye shadow and Iip sticks. I've bought a few Wn'W megalast lipsticks lately and they are amazing pigmentation and wear. It actually reminds me of MAC , the packaging is cheap looking but they have some really on trend shades are are under 4$. About 90% of my makeup drawer is EDM though, I got hooked on the promos.

If someone starts a group blog I'd be into doing some posts , I already do a style blog and sometimes talk about vegan makeup but I'd totally do reviews and swatches.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:32 pm 

If you stick with ELF studio line all is pretty good. The foundation is even decent. I find the mascaras to wimpy though. I think I am going to order (since Target does not carry the complete line) the studio stick concealer since I need to replace my Smashbox one at the end of the month.

Yesterday I pulled out my Smashbox vanilla shadow - I really like this color and use it alone with black liner & bold lips. So Silk Naturals' bareback look like it might work but maybe to dark. Linen looks nice too. I am also diggin' the dupe of the Naked set - again I like browns.

How sparkly is the SN stuff? I hated UD shadows because of the sparkly bits...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am feeling defeated about the constant search and disappointments, I think I will just stick with Zuzu and Gabriel, at least I know it will be all vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

Does the bunny mean vegan or just not tested on animals?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:12 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

EllaGuru wrote:
I swear by occ for lipsticks http://www.occmakeup.com
and Everyday Minerals for foundation , powder , blush , eye stuff , brushes ( such nice brushes!) http://www.everydayminerals.com/. EDM are also constantly doing promos, kits and sales so you can snag stuff for really cheap and try new products out. They also give free samples. I use some Silk Naturals stuff , mostly more "funky" eye shadow and Iip sticks. I've bought a few Wn'W megalast lipsticks lately and they are amazing pigmentation and wear. It actually reminds me of MAC , the packaging is cheap looking but they have some really on trend shades are are under 4$. About 90% of my makeup drawer is EDM though, I got hooked on the promos.

If someone starts a group blog I'd be into doing some posts , I already do a style blog and sometimes talk about vegan makeup but I'd totally do reviews and swatches.

I am stuck on thinking of a clever name. So far I have 'Oh, Pretty Vegan' (like the Roy Orbison song).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:26 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:

Speaking of sparkly bits...that's my favorite part of the UD shadows! Anyone know of an eyeshadow as glittery as the UD Stardust ones?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:39 pm 

I just ordered this in hopes of finding a matte nude replacement:
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/84066199

As for sparkly bits - most mineral shadow has too much sparkle for me, so try looking through mineral brands...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

missmuffcake wrote:
Yesterday I pulled out my Smashbox vanilla shadow - I really like this color and use it alone with black liner & bold lips. So Silk Naturals' bareback look like it might work but maybe to dark. Linen looks nice too. I am also diggin' the dupe of the Naked set - again I like browns.

I haven't tried the Smashbox eyeshadow, but it looks pretty close to Innocent from Elf's mineral line. I use that one a lot, and it's matte.

strawberryrock wrote:
Speaking of sparkly bits...that's my favorite part of the UD shadows! Anyone know of an eyeshadow as glittery as the UD Stardust ones?

I was looking at Shiro cosmetics earlier, which someone linked above, and they have some nice-looking eyeshadows that are very very sparkly. I haven't tried them, though.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I am stuck on thinking of a clever name. So far I have 'Oh, Pretty Vegan' (like the Roy Orbison song).

This makes me think of "Oh! You Pretty Vegan." I'm too young for Roy Orbison.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:59 pm 

eatsbabies wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I was looking at Shiro cosmetics earlier, which someone linked above, and they have some nice-looking eyeshadows that are very very sparkly. I haven't tried them, though.

Cool, I will check them out!

So I am really trying to think of this as an exciting opportunity to support smaller companies. So yaaaay.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

Anyone know about Benefit? And I'd be really interested to hear what you find out about Too Faced since I love them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

missmuffcake wrote:

They have some matte shades , so do EDM. Most have some level of sparkle though

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

ELF is offering $10 off a minimum order of $25 on their website. I like that it is less expensive and I can try things without feeling too bad if I don't like it. I know some of their stuff is hit or miss, but I've found some products that I really do love.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:36 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Would it be possible to do a make-up thread like the nail polish thread? Where people post the answers they get from companies, vegan/vegan-friendly companies, etc. and the top post gets updated? That would be most helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm 

As I said in a previous comment, I only bought something from UD like 2 days before this statement was released. I'd been looking for the perfect red lipstick for so long and finally found a vegan one from them. I definitely won't be throwing any of my makeup away from UD, because that's only going to hurt my pocket, not theirs, but I certainly won't repurchase in the future, because there isn't anything of theirs that I can't find a dupe for elsewhere.

Their statement really annoyed me though, saying you will not test on animals, but in full knowledge, allow someone else to test your products on animal for the express purpose of being able to market to them, is exactly the same thing. I think it's rather naive to think that China is going to roll over and suddenly stop testing. I'm afraid that I don't really believe their statement that it's not about profit etc, because there are plenty of other markets that they could've gone in to, which would not have jeopardised their CF status.

They are using the Chinese government as a scapegoat "it's not us that are the baddies, it's them" sort of thing. UD know, that there is a possibility, that by retailing in China, their products may be subject to animal testing, it doesn't matter who it is doing the testing, they are still allowing it to happen.

Anyway, on a lighter note, foundation wise I use FACEatelier, which for anyone in the UK, can be found here http://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/face_atelier_cosmetics/

It's expensive, but it's good. Eyeshadow wise, I've been really liking the ELF stuff. I bought this palette the other day http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~324.htm which is also really good, 60 eyeshadows, 12 lipglosses, 4 blushers and 2 bronzers. I won't ever use the lipglosses in it, but the pressed shadows are really nice quality and the blushers are also really good. Definitely worth it for £10. Mascara wise I've been loving another ELF product and it's their Lengthening & Defining Mascara, which is only £1.50. It seems to dry out pretty quickly, but it's only £1.50.

I've been loving a lot of Stila recently too. Their stuff isn't tested, not all of it is suitable for vegans and they don't have a vegan list, but they do list all of their ingredients on their site.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

tinglepants! wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out if Boscia and Too Faced are safe--the former is owned by a large Japanese company, and I can't find any information on whether they test. Too Faced has no parent company, but I don't know if it sells in China.

I don't know if Too Faced sells in China or not. I've had success finding out if companies sell there just by googling "Company Name China". As for Boscia, if they're a Japanese company they test, at least that's what a vegan blogger told me when I asked about Nars (owned by Shiseido). According to the blogger Japan mandates animal testing the same as China. She said she got that information from a Peta rep. So my info is thirdhand, and could be wrong. I've been operating on a philosophy of better safe than sorry.

I second the love for WnW megalast listicks. I actually like them better than my MAC lipsticks. They go on creamier and last longer, at least on me. I have almost every color too because they're so cheap!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next