| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

My problem with e.l.f. is that I have only seen a few of their products sold in two stores here and I hate ordering stuff online. Especially for things like foundation, I need to be able to see it in person before I purchase it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mr. Shankly wrote:
My problem with e.l.f. is that I have only seen a few of their products sold in two stores here and I hate ordering stuff online. Especially for things like foundation, I need to be able to see it in person before I purchase it.

the one thing about their website that's nice is that they have almost constant sales and special offers, like the $10 off special right now. but if you order off their site, you have to look up swatches or reviews for everything because the swatches on their site are always way off.

also, for people with fairer skin, the studio foundation and tinted moisturizer is pretty dark and orange. i actually had better luck with the $1 tinted moisturizer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I haven't tried the ELF foundations, so can't really comment on those, but I love the shadows and blushes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I read a few beauty blogs here and there, especially lately since I've been waiting for news on two new polishes that are likely to sell out fast.

Most are discussing the UD issue. Interestingly, many who don't much care about avoiding non-cruelty free companies are also mad about this issue. Lots of the blog commentators seem to feel that even if this was not what drove them to UD, the fact that they acquired so many fans and customers based on marketing themselves as cruelty-free doesn't sit well with them. So people who didn't care about MAC and Estée Lauder are turned off by UD doing it.

Interesting to see how this plays out. Of course, most will have forgotten and moved in within a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I went looking for makeup today and again most WnW mascaras are vegan. They have a growth lash one that is vegan. I always think using 2 mascaras is a good option if you need to build your lashes. I was feeling blah and came out with nothing though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:09 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

eatsbabies wrote:

I haven't tried the Smashbox eyeshadow, but it looks pretty close to Innocent from Elf's mineral line. I use that one a lot, and it's matte.

If the one I ordered today does not work out I will go for that! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:23 am 
Inflexitarian

Wait, ELF is not on the leaping bunny website... so does that mean they *do* use animal testing in some way even though the package says no?

And it looks like leaping bunny is only about animal testing.... Is there another list that gives vegan brands? Or has some wise person compiled a list of no animal ingredients + no animal testing brands?

This is so forking confusing. And I'm now all sad about the Smashbox and ELF stuff filling my bathroom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

quark wrote:
Wait, ELF is not on the leaping bunny website... so does that mean they *do* use animal testing in some way even though the package says no?

And it looks like leaping bunny is only about animal testing.... Is there another list that gives vegan brands? Or has some wise person compiled a list of no animal ingredients + no animal testing brands?

This is so forking confusing.

Yes. I just sat down and read this entire thread, and then I checked the Leaping Bunny Site...Zoya isn't listed. Now I have a headache. I guess on the plus side I have enough ED eyeshadow to last a while.

I do need to find a good vegan mascara that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars. I'm cool with paying lots for eyeshadow or other things that last, but mascara to be replaced every 3 months, not so much. I'm allergic to most of the cheap ones I know of.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It's my understanding that for both the Leaping Bunny list and the Peta list that there's an application process that some companies choose not to do, or in the case of a smaller company like Zoya there's a possibility that they don't know about the lists. In addition Leaping Bunny charges companies a fee to use the Leaping Bunny logo, which is why some companies on their list don't have the logo on their bottles.

If you only want to use Leaping Bunny certified brands for nail polish check out Color Club, who are owned by Forsythe Cosmetic Group, and are on the Leaping Bunny list. They're comparable in price to Zoya, and the selection is big and the quality is good. https://www.cosmeticgroup.com/shop/

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:52 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

bekki wrote:
quark wrote:

This is so forking confusing.

Yes. I just sat down and read this entire thread, and then I checked the Leaping Bunny Site...Zoya isn't listed. Now I have a headache. I guess on the plus side I have enough ED eyeshadow to last a while.

I do need to find a good vegan mascara that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars. I'm cool with paying lots for eyeshadow or other things that last, but mascara to be replaced every 3 months, not so much. I'm allergic to most of the cheap ones I know of.

I believe Leaping Bunny only list companies who use a Fixed Cut Off Date. That means they won't test after a certain date, or buy from manufacturers who test after a certain date. This was a great standard when cruelty-free groups were first established, but it doesn't incentivise companies to stop testing, because they will always be excluded from accessing that market. My experience from Lush is that some newer/more ambitious companies avoid the FCOD standard, even if they are therefore excluded from Leaping Bunny certification, because that way they can reward manufacturers who stop testing by taking their business there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Hardcastle McCormick wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

the one thing about their website that's nice is that they have almost constant sales and special offers, like the $10 off special right now. but if you order off their site, you have to look up swatches or reviews for everything because the swatches on their site are always way off.

also, for people with fairer skin, the studio foundation and tinted moisturizer is pretty dark and orange. i actually had better luck with the $1 tinted moisturizer.

Yes yes yes. I picked up ELF powder foundation once, the lightest shade, and it was so orange. I was rockin' the oompa-loompa look. I also tried their eyeliner and it died on me after a week. However, I thought their lip gloss was a good buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've never tried ELF cause I've never seen it in a shop in Quebec and shipping to Canada is absurdly high , I order most of my makeup online and ELF charges like 4x shipping what other places do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Those ELF sets that Target had at X-mas have shown up in my local Big Lots. There are eye shadow kits, mineral foundation, and lip gloss sets.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My Big Lots charges more than the sets were at Target! Like the $5 eyeshadow and brush mineral sets are $10. And they've been sitting there since LAST Christmas.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My big lots does the same thing! Makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:56 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I've tried elf's waterproof mascara, and their lipstick. I gotta say, I'm not super impressed. It's cheap for a reason. I still wear the mascara but the lipstick is red and it barely lasts.. I might give it to a friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My Big Lots charges more than the sets were at Target! Like the $5 eyeshadow and brush mineral sets are $10. And they've been sitting there since LAST Christmas.

These are $5. I know they appeared at some point after this last Christmas. (I hate sparkly eyeshadow so I haven't bought any of them.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:14 am 
Inflexitarian

jaine-pie wrote:
I've tried elf's waterproof mascara, and their lipstick. I gotta say, I'm not super impressed. It's cheap for a reason. I still wear the mascara but the lipstick is red and it barely lasts.. I might give it to a friend.

I'm not in love with the ELF eye shadow I have, but the liquid eyeliner is pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Ninja Master

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Anyone know about Benefit? And I'd be really interested to hear what you find out about Too Faced since I love them.

I have avoided benefit for ages because I thought they did test. However, I've just read their website and it looks like they do not! http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/help/faq#faq-7

They don't seem to be on the leaping bunny site and I know that a LOT of their products contain beeswax and carmine.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 am 
WELFARIST!

baps wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Anyone know about Benefit? And I'd be really interested to hear what you find out about Too Faced since I love them.

I have avoided benefit for ages because I thought they did test. However, I've just read their website and it looks like they do not! http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/help/faq#faq-7

They don't seem to be on the leaping bunny site and I know that a LOT of their products contain beeswax and carmine.

One of the products that I have by them, which also happens to be my favorite product ever, has beeswax in it. Damn. Does anyone happen to know of a lipstick similar to Lady's Choice that is vegan and not a gazillion dollars? I'm looking for both the color and finish.

Also, I'm really bad at identifying cosmetics ingredients and it looks like one or two in one of my other favorite products may not be vegan. Does anyone know about Limonene and Linalool?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 am 
WELFARIST!

I've read every page of this thread but I don't remember if anyone mentioned Medusas Makeup, I have a couple of pigments from them and really like them. They're true to color.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Linalool is not a lanolin derivative (that's what I kept thinking, so I always avoided it). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linalool It appears to be plant-based.

Limonene seems to come from citrus fruits, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene.

Also, Boscia is OK from what I can tell. http://www.bosciaskincare.com/newsite/about_us.php?show=philosophy
https://www.facebook.com/bosciaskincare/info

What we don’t put in our products is as important as what we do. To achieve superior results without compromising skin health (sensitive or otherwise), boscia products are formulated without the following:

- Preservatives (boscia contains none of the 150 industry-recognized preservatives – not just parabens – that can irritate skin and cause blemishes, redness, eczema and more).
- Ethanol alcohol
- Bactericides
- Synthetic fragrances
- Synthetic colorants
- Mineral oil
- Animal ingredients

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 am 

I also found this. It's two years old, but seems like decent info.

http://luzdejunio.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... urate.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 am 

Last post, promise. It looks like Tarte has updated their vegan page. Or maybe I haven't looked at it in a while.

http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-shop-vegan-cosmetics

ETA: It could be that I just didn't notice the aqua gel eyeliner or lip surgence matte lip tint before. Also, smooth operator Amazonian clay waterproof concealer seems to have good reviews and the bronzers are pretty. I've almost purchased them and the amazonian clay shimmer powder before (but stopped because they're not cheap!).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I might have to give the Tarte concealer a go. They had a foundation (that is now off their vegan page - maybe discontinued) that was decent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next