| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

jessilikewhoa wrote:

I'm scared of the Rock scents because I find the smell of Axe so very offensive for the most part, but we'll check them out.

The problem with Axe is guys think they need to spray half the bottle on themselves to be sexy. Just like when I go the gym and smell chicks with tons of perfume I get ill and light headed. There is no need to have ever nose within a five foot radius smell you. The rock ones at least do not carry tons of hazardous scent ingredients...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

gunk wrote:
Also, I'm just wondering if separate men's and women's categories are really necessary.

agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Skincare is pretty dependent on body chemistry. It isn't just about scent or all marketing bs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I just solved my own problem: tag things with 'aftershave' 'cologne', etc., explain why there is no tag called 'mens products' in the faq. That is so simple i'm almost embarrassed that I asked for help figuring it out.

Also the lady at my bank drive thru was wearing so much perfume yesterday that I could smell it on the stack of deposit slips she sent me through the tube.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Also the lady at my bank drive thru was wearing so much perfume yesterday that I could smell it on the stack of deposit slips she sent me through the tube.

Worst. We went into a Zellers (Canada's Target) yesterday and I feel like I still smell like other peoples' perfume.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I just solved my own problem: tag things with 'aftershave' 'cologne', etc., explain why there is no tag called 'mens products' in the faq. That is so simple i'm almost embarrassed that I asked for help figuring it out.

Perfect solution. I dig it.

So how can we help get this up and running? I was thinking of starting to draft some reviews, but would it be more helpful for me to tackle the lists first?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just emailed Makeup Geek to see if they have a list of what shadows of theirs are carmine free and vegan friendly, mostly because I want to know so I can buy some because they look really nice, but also because they could get added to the list if they are.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:39 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I love that you're starting this and would love to help however I can.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh! jessilikewhoa, I'll be very excited to hear what they say!! Have you used their products before? There are several colors that I like.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:19 pm 
Ninja Master

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I just emailed Makeup Geek to see if they have a list of what shadows of theirs are carmine free and vegan friendly, mostly because I want to know so I can buy some because they look really nice, but also because they could get added to the list if they are.

Awesome, I was wondering about MUG. I watch Marlena's tutorials on youtube, she's adorable.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

One thing anyone can do right now is email as many companies as you can stand - even if they're already on CF lists, even if we're sure nothing they have is CF or vegan. Sometimes people will get different responses so one person may hear several products are totes vegan and another person will hear that that's not true. Ask them if they have any vegan products (maybe give some examples of common things like lanolin, carmine, etc.), if their products are tested on animals either by themselves or an outside company, if their ingredient suppliers test, if they have a parent company or not. I would say someone can set up a form letter for all of us, but I think a little personal variation will be a good thing in this case. You can write one letter and then change the name of the company when you send it.

Here is a crazy asparagus reply from Revlon to someone, which basically says nothing and beats around the bush. My conclusion is that they test on animals and can eff right off.

Quote:
Revlon is in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to animal testing. All ingredients used by Revlon and all products manufactured and sold by Revlon comply with both U.S. and European Union laws and regulations, including full compliance with all Europe-wide bans on testing of cosmetics and cosmetics ingredients using animals, which are part of the European Cosmetics Directive.

Revlon has long been an industry leader in the elimination of animal testing. In 1986, Revlon was the first beauty products manufacturer to close down its animal testing facilities completely. In addition, Revlon holds its suppliers of ingredients and components to the same standards. All chemical supplier purchase orders require confirmation by the supplier that it does not perform animal testing on materials supplied.

To assure product safety, Revlon relies on the judgment of pharmacologic, toxicologic and medical experts, non-animal alternative test methods and the established safety of formulations and ingredients. Revlon is committed to providing safe and effective products and will continue to comply with all government laws and regulations necessary to assure the quality, safety and efficacy of its products.

Thank you for your interest in our company. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm happy to help. I don't wear much make-up, but I'm thinking of looking into different skincare (I've been doing the same damn thing to my face for about 6-7 years, so I'm looking for a change) and could talk about that. And I can contribute about some hair stuff and what's available in my city. Are you also looking at things like toothpaste and other toiletries (sunscreen? other things I can't think of?)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sure, I can help out! This shiitake is getting ridiculously confusing, so it would be nice to have a site (that's updated) to visit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Oooh, this is a great idea. I'm personally not that into beauty products, but I'm always on the look out for unscented vegan cf products! My boyfriend and I both have mild chemical sensitivities - being mostly sensitive to fragrances, and it's often annoying to pull a sample off the shelf at WF or similar grocery store and see I can't use it because it's got lavender fragrance in it!

To be fair, I'm not sensitive to all fragrance, but because I'm sensitive to a lot of them I tend to stay away from anything with perfume in it for fear of reaction. I'm sure there's a few other ingredients that are irritating to my skin, but I never come across them because most of the products I see in grocery stores have "parfume" or even "natural fragrance" in them and I don't want to try it.

So, if you could have a tag for unscented/fragrance-free I'm sure the fragrance-sensitive vegan cf population would super appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lavawitch wrote:
Skincare is pretty dependent on body chemistry. It isn't just about scent or all marketing bs.

Oh, definitely! I know that my skin has changed pretty significantly since being on testosterone. It's much oilier now than it used to be, for example. But I'd probably use a product targeted at oily skin or something now, regardless of how it was gendered (I don't actually use any cleansers or anything like that, because my skin tends to be best when it's left pretty much alone). Also, I guess I don't think that body chemistry is always dependent upon gender. I could definitely have been clearer about that in my post earlier, though.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

MBM, that solution sounds great! I was thinking of something along those lines, but didn't manage to get the words to come out properly or something. Having trouble articulating myself lately!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

chaioli wrote:
So, if you could have a tag for unscented/fragrance-free I'm sure the fragrance-sensitive vegan cf population would super appreciate it!

Great idea! I have to go pretty much unscented because any strong "fragrance" gives me headaches, sometimes migraines.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just heard back from Make Up Geek about their eyeshadows, and most of them are vegan!

Quote:
Hi Jessi,

Here are the shades containing carmine, all the others are ok to be considered vegan:

Twilight
Razzleberry
Duchesss
Unexpected
Unicorn
Cupcake
Mango Tango
Country Girl
Manderine

Hope this helps!

the MUG team

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm 

@jessilikewhoa--SWEET!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ooh! This sounds fantastic. I have an especially hard time tracking down products that are both vegan and "clean," as in "free of ingredients with scary track records." Most clean brands seem hopelessly devoted to beeswax.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So true. A friend recommended a brand to me, I checked it out and was getting my hopes up because it's not tested on animals. On their FAQ page it said something like "no, our products can't be considered vegan, because especially lipstick cannot be made without beeswax for example". BS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

fisticuffs wrote:
On their FAQ page it said something like "no, our products can't be considered vegan, because especially lipstick cannot be made without beeswax for example". BS!

They probably think you cannot make pizza, tacos or bbq without meat...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe this will be a good place to publish my Lush Survival Guide for Introverts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:08 am 

vijita wrote:
Maybe this will be a good place to publish my Lush Survival Guide for Introverts.

OMFG, yes!! I have such anxiety about that place, and I think I saw somewhere they're going to start carrying makeup. I've seen they have a few bases/foundations or whatever, but ugh! Going in there! It's so much with the people and the smells!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ndpittman wrote:
I think I saw somewhere they're going to start carrying makeup.

Huwhaaaaaaaa?!!!!! My interest is now piqued!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Google showed me this
http://www.kissandmakeup.tv/2012/06/lus ... ction.html

Balls about them doing cream shadows though, with my oily skin cream shadows just slide all over and crease like crazy. I am super psyched for the 11 different liquid liners, and for the 13 liquid lipsticks. Just switch those shadows to pressed powder and we're good to go.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next