| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Modesto, CA
jessilikewhoa wrote:

I'm scared of the Rock scents because I find the smell of Axe so very offensive for the most part, but we'll check them out.


The problem with Axe is guys think they need to spray half the bottle on themselves to be sexy. Just like when I go the gym and smell chicks with tons of perfume I get ill and light headed. There is no need to have ever nose within a five foot radius smell you. The rock ones at least do not carry tons of hazardous scent ingredients...

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 4067
Location: Portland, OR
gunk wrote:
Also, I'm just wondering if separate men's and women's categories are really necessary.



agreed.

_________________
get sconed!
& @jdfunks on that thing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Skincare is pretty dependent on body chemistry. It isn't just about scent or all marketing bs.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Online
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10811
Location: Illinoize
I just solved my own problem: tag things with 'aftershave' 'cologne', etc., explain why there is no tag called 'mens products' in the faq. That is so simple i'm almost embarrassed that I asked for help figuring it out.

Also the lady at my bank drive thru was wearing so much perfume yesterday that I could smell it on the stack of deposit slips she sent me through the tube.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10543
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Also the lady at my bank drive thru was wearing so much perfume yesterday that I could smell it on the stack of deposit slips she sent me through the tube.

Worst. We went into a Zellers (Canada's Target) yesterday and I feel like I still smell like other peoples' perfume.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
Spent a night at the Bates Motel
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm
Posts: 2137
Location: detroit, mi
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I just solved my own problem: tag things with 'aftershave' 'cologne', etc., explain why there is no tag called 'mens products' in the faq. That is so simple i'm almost embarrassed that I asked for help figuring it out.


Perfect solution. I dig it.

So how can we help get this up and running? I was thinking of starting to draft some reviews, but would it be more helpful for me to tackle the lists first?

_________________
I'm still buddhist & I still love cupcakes.
My crochet blog! http://threadbythreadzen.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:23 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1967
Location: Joliet, IL
I just emailed Makeup Geek to see if they have a list of what shadows of theirs are carmine free and vegan friendly, mostly because I want to know so I can buy some because they look really nice, but also because they could get added to the list if they are.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:39 pm 
Offline
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 1801
I love that you're starting this and would love to help however I can.

_________________
"I would love to be president of the United States. It's been my dream ever since I discovered what power was." ~ RandiJM, age 11-ish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
Oh! jessilikewhoa, I'll be very excited to hear what they say!! Have you used their products before? There are several colors that I like.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4630
Location: Surrey, UK
jessilikewhoa wrote:
I just emailed Makeup Geek to see if they have a list of what shadows of theirs are carmine free and vegan friendly, mostly because I want to know so I can buy some because they look really nice, but also because they could get added to the list if they are.

Awesome, I was wondering about MUG. I watch Marlena's tutorials on youtube, she's adorable.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
Online
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10811
Location: Illinoize
One thing anyone can do right now is email as many companies as you can stand - even if they're already on CF lists, even if we're sure nothing they have is CF or vegan. Sometimes people will get different responses so one person may hear several products are totes vegan and another person will hear that that's not true. Ask them if they have any vegan products (maybe give some examples of common things like lanolin, carmine, etc.), if their products are tested on animals either by themselves or an outside company, if their ingredient suppliers test, if they have a parent company or not. I would say someone can set up a form letter for all of us, but I think a little personal variation will be a good thing in this case. You can write one letter and then change the name of the company when you send it.

Here is a crazy asparagus reply from Revlon to someone, which basically says nothing and beats around the bush. My conclusion is that they test on animals and can eff right off.

Quote:
Revlon is in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to animal testing. All ingredients used by Revlon and all products manufactured and sold by Revlon comply with both U.S. and European Union laws and regulations, including full compliance with all Europe-wide bans on testing of cosmetics and cosmetics ingredients using animals, which are part of the European Cosmetics Directive.

Revlon has long been an industry leader in the elimination of animal testing. In 1986, Revlon was the first beauty products manufacturer to close down its animal testing facilities completely. In addition, Revlon holds its suppliers of ingredients and components to the same standards. All chemical supplier purchase orders require confirmation by the supplier that it does not perform animal testing on materials supplied.

To assure product safety, Revlon relies on the judgment of pharmacologic, toxicologic and medical experts, non-animal alternative test methods and the established safety of formulations and ingredients. Revlon is committed to providing safe and effective products and will continue to comply with all government laws and regulations necessary to assure the quality, safety and efficacy of its products.

Thank you for your interest in our company. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:48 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Edinburgh
I'm happy to help. I don't wear much make-up, but I'm thinking of looking into different skincare (I've been doing the same damn thing to my face for about 6-7 years, so I'm looking for a change) and could talk about that. And I can contribute about some hair stuff and what's available in my city. Are you also looking at things like toothpaste and other toiletries (sunscreen? other things I can't think of?)?

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Land of the First Kaiju
Sure, I can help out! This shiitake is getting ridiculously confusing, so it would be nice to have a site (that's updated) to visit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 pm
Posts: 349
Location: SF Bay Area
Oooh, this is a great idea. I'm personally not that into beauty products, but I'm always on the look out for unscented vegan cf products! My boyfriend and I both have mild chemical sensitivities - being mostly sensitive to fragrances, and it's often annoying to pull a sample off the shelf at WF or similar grocery store and see I can't use it because it's got lavender fragrance in it!

To be fair, I'm not sensitive to all fragrance, but because I'm sensitive to a lot of them I tend to stay away from anything with perfume in it for fear of reaction. I'm sure there's a few other ingredients that are irritating to my skin, but I never come across them because most of the products I see in grocery stores have "parfume" or even "natural fragrance" in them and I don't want to try it.

So, if you could have a tag for unscented/fragrance-free I'm sure the fragrance-sensitive vegan cf population would super appreciate it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 1016
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
lavawitch wrote:
Skincare is pretty dependent on body chemistry. It isn't just about scent or all marketing bs.


Oh, definitely! I know that my skin has changed pretty significantly since being on testosterone. It's much oilier now than it used to be, for example. But I'd probably use a product targeted at oily skin or something now, regardless of how it was gendered (I don't actually use any cleansers or anything like that, because my skin tends to be best when it's left pretty much alone). Also, I guess I don't think that body chemistry is always dependent upon gender. I could definitely have been clearer about that in my post earlier, though.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I just solved my own problem: tag things with 'aftershave' 'cologne', etc., explain why there is no tag called 'mens products' in the faq. That is so simple i'm almost embarrassed that I asked for help figuring it out.


MBM, that solution sounds great! I was thinking of something along those lines, but didn't manage to get the words to come out properly or something. Having trouble articulating myself lately!

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy
After all, you can't spell Richard Dawkins without "dickwad". - EmperorTomatoKetchup


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
chaioli wrote:
So, if you could have a tag for unscented/fragrance-free I'm sure the fragrance-sensitive vegan cf population would super appreciate it!


Great idea! I have to go pretty much unscented because any strong "fragrance" gives me headaches, sometimes migraines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1967
Location: Joliet, IL
I just heard back from Make Up Geek about their eyeshadows, and most of them are vegan!

Quote:
Hi Jessi,

Here are the shades containing carmine, all the others are ok to be considered vegan:

Twilight
Razzleberry
Duchesss
Unexpected
Unicorn
Cupcake
Mango Tango
Country Girl
Manderine

Hope this helps!

the MUG team

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
@jessilikewhoa--SWEET!

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:23 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 693
Location: Germany
Ooh! This sounds fantastic. I have an especially hard time tracking down products that are both vegan and "clean," as in "free of ingredients with scary track records." Most clean brands seem hopelessly devoted to beeswax.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2008
So true. A friend recommended a brand to me, I checked it out and was getting my hopes up because it's not tested on animals. On their FAQ page it said something like "no, our products can't be considered vegan, because especially lipstick cannot be made without beeswax for example". BS!

_________________
When it comes to, you know, modern technology, think of me somewhere in the Middle Ages, training my hedgehog friends to knit socks. ~Phoenix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 am 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7151
Location: Modesto, CA
fisticuffs wrote:
On their FAQ page it said something like "no, our products can't be considered vegan, because especially lipstick cannot be made without beeswax for example". BS!



They probably think you cannot make pizza, tacos or bbq without meat...

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10543
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Maybe this will be a good place to publish my Lush Survival Guide for Introverts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:08 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
vijita wrote:
Maybe this will be a good place to publish my Lush Survival Guide for Introverts.



OMFG, yes!! I have such anxiety about that place, and I think I saw somewhere they're going to start carrying makeup. I've seen they have a few bases/foundations or whatever, but ugh! Going in there! It's so much with the people and the smells!

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1967
Location: Joliet, IL
ndpittman wrote:
I think I saw somewhere they're going to start carrying makeup.


Huwhaaaaaaaa?!!!!! My interest is now piqued!

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1967
Location: Joliet, IL
Google showed me this
http://www.kissandmakeup.tv/2012/06/lus ... ction.html

Balls about them doing cream shadows though, with my oily skin cream shadows just slide all over and crease like crazy. I am super psyched for the 11 different liquid liners, and for the 13 liquid lipsticks. Just switch those shadows to pressed powder and we're good to go.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer