| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:27 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This is random, but I'm not sure where to post it. I emailed Sephora about something else, and instead of a response to my inquiry, I received this list of products that they carry that aren't tested on animals. This does not allow of China or parent company issues, but it's a decent jumping off spot, I think. Also, the private label Sephora brand is cruelty free. Whether the Izak Baked Eyeshadow Palette contains any animal derived ingredients is anyone's guess (my original question).

Amazing Cosmetics
Anthony Logistics
Balmshell
Bare Escentuals
Benefit Cosmetics
Blinc
Bliss
Boscia
Bremenn Research Labs
Carol's Daughter
Caudalie
CHANEL
Clarins
Clean
DDF
Dermadoctor
Dr. Brandt Skincare
DuWop
Frederic Fekkai
Fresh
Jack Black
Jonathan Products
Juice Beauty
Kat Von D
Korres Natural Products
L'Occitane
Laura Mercier
LaVanila Laboratories
Murad
Mustela
NARS
Nude
Ojon
Ole Henriksen
Perfekt
Perricone MD
Peter Thomas Roth
Philosophy
Phyto
REN Clean Skincare
René Furterer
Rosebud Perfume Co.
Skyn Iceland
Smashbox
Stila Cosmetics
Tarte
TheBalm
Too Faced Cosmetics
Urban Decay
Zirh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:29 am 

Also Josie Maran isn't included here, and they seem to be big on not testing. Maybe that list sucks. Eh, take it as you will.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Shopped till she dropped

mrsbadmouth wrote:
When Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats, they stopped carrying Ecco Bella mascara at the Nashville store! So there was like, no vegan makeup. WF really varies with their products by area.

A lot of the issue with that is every region has a different list of approved items, and buyers for each store are only allowed to purchase product from those lists. All too often, the buyers aren't vegan, or aren't aware enough of what makes something vegan or not.

I have this problem at my store. The current Body Care buyer doesn't stock ANY vegan lip balms. My lips dry out super fast from biking, and I always need one close by, or I'm in danger of getting a cold sore. Brands I'd expect to find (Crazy Rumors, Merry Hempsters, EcoLips etc), aren't approved for the Midwest. The only vegan balm we had for a while was Hugo Naturals. I didn't like my first tube, but after being forced to buy a couple more, I discovered the first one was just oddly dry and chunky. The rest were fine, but now I haven't seen them since the weather's improved. This thread is reminding me that I have to look into this whole shebang. My meager supply of lip balm is starting to run low. Our Body Care buyer must have the complete opposite schedule as me, because I never see her around.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kara kara wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
When Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats, they stopped carrying Ecco Bella mascara at the Nashville store! So there was like, no vegan makeup. WF really varies with their products by area.

A lot of the issue with that is every region has a different list of approved items, and buyers for each store are only allowed to purchase product from those lists. All too often, the buyers aren't vegan, or aren't aware enough of what makes something vegan or not.

I have this problem at my store. The current Body Care buyer doesn't stock ANY vegan lip balms. My lips dry out super fast from biking, and I always need one close by, or I'm in danger of getting a cold sore. Brands I'd expect to find (Crazy Rumors, Merry Hempsters, EcoLips etc), aren't approved for the Midwest. The only vegan balm we had for a while was Hugo Naturals. I didn't like my first tube, but after being forced to buy a couple more, I discovered the first one was just oddly dry and chunky. The rest were fine, but now I haven't seen them since the weather's improved. This thread is reminding me that I have to look into this whole shebang. My meager supply of lip balm is starting to run low. Our Body Care buyer must have the complete opposite schedule as me, because I never see her around.

That's weird--I always buy the bee-free EcoLips at the Lakeview WF. They carry Merry Hemptsers, as well--so, either the buyer at one WF isn't following the approved list, or the other one is misinformed. Do you work at the crazy-big WF? I imagine there are at least 100 coworkers you've never met.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:05 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I do work at the Lincoln Park store. I had one of the Whole Body TMs check on the availability of both of those, and they were both discontinued. The last time I checked was sometime in the winter, so they may have updated it since then. I'll check again when I go in tomorrow, and maybe I'll email the Body Care buyer about it as well. If not, I'll find some excuse to go to Lakeview. I'm thinking Fritz's is a good idea. Nom.

Apologies for minor thread derail.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey guys,
Here is the Too Faced list-sorry for the delay-I had printed the email a while ago to take shopping but I guess I deleted the email so I had to scan to pdf and manually type it (lesson learned: save your emails!) This was from about November I believe. I can't say I've looked over every product with a fine toothed comb, but what I did look at so far seemed vegan, and they got back to me really fast. I noticed that their website now says if something is vegan or has vegan friendly shades (in the case of the latter I'm guessing you can just email then to know which colors?) Hope this helps out :)

Amazing Face SPF 15 Powder Foundation-Honey Beige, Perfect Nude, Warm Ivory, Warm Honey, Vanilla Creme
Absolutely Flawless Concealer-Honey, Perfect Nude, Vanilla
Borderline Anti Feathering Lip Pencil
Brightening Blush-Mocha Mi AMore
Brownie Brow Pencil-Browne-y, Blonde-y
Caribbean in a Compact-Sun Bunny
Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer
Chocolate Galaxy Glam Eyeshadow-Cocoa Comet, Mocha Meteor, Amber Asteroid
Dui Eyeshadow-Ooh and Aah, Fantasty Island, Skinny Dip, Lucky Charms, Shamrock Chic, Rich bisque
Exotic Color Eye Shadow-Nice Stems!, Cop a Teal, Firefly, Frilly Lilly, Petals to the Metal, Midnight Mist, Poison Orchid, Enchanted Garden, Night Nymph, Violet Femme
Foiled Liner-Bronze Bombshell
Foiled Liner-Black Beauty
Full Bloom Lip and Cheek Creme Color Sweet Pea, Prim & Poppy, and Tea Rose
Full Bloom Ultra Flush Powder Blush-Sweet Pea, and Cocoa Rose
Galaxy Glam Eyeshadow-Shooting Star, Super Nova, Moon Beaml, Deep Space, Blue Angel
Kitty Glitter-Pussie Galore, and Purrfect
Leopard Love Bronzing Set-Candy Leopard, and Peach Leopard
Lip Injection Lip Plumping Gloss
Lip Injection Technocolor-Techno Kiss, Techno Tart, Techno Punch, Techno Glow
Lip Injection Extreme
Lip Insurance Primer
Liquif-Eye Eye Shadow Transformer
Liquid Lava Eyeliner-Lave Matte
Long Stemmed Lashes
Love Lisa Lip Balm SPF 15
Matte Eye Palette
Metal Eyed Shimmer Liquid Eyeliner-Blackout, Handcuffs, Twilight, Get Lucky,Plum Crazy, Brown Sugar, Dirt Bag, and Shotgun
Mirror Mirror Lip Gloss-Envy Me, I Love Myself, I Know You Want Me, Damn! I'm Hot, Don't Hate Me..., I'm Perfect!
Peach Leopard Brightening and Perfecting Bronzer
Perfect Eyes-Perfect Black, Perfect Brown, Perfect Storm, Perfect Peacock
Perfect Lips Nude Lip Liner
Primed and Poreless
Primed and Poreless Bronze Tint
Primed and Poreless Loose Powder
Refresh Blotting Papers
Single Eyeshadow-Label hors d'oeuvre, Blonde Ambition, Neptune
Starry Eyed Liquid Liner-Restraing Order, Mad Mad Love, Stalker, Drunk Dial, Obsessed Fan, Ooh and Aaah
Superfreak, Gold Digger, Silver Lining
Tanning Bed in a Tube
Tanning Bed for he Face
Teddy Bear Hair Brushes
Wrinkle Injection Extreme Wrinkle Filler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 am 

@katiewantscupcakes thanks for posting that! The list is from Too Faced themselves? Sorry, I forgot, and I'm being too lazy to go back and read. Which is pretty sad considering you typed that list. In my defense I just woke up and am still in bed even.

While I was lying here thinking about this an avoiding actually getting up to get ready for work, I had a total "a-ha!" moment that I thought I would share. I really like the UD lux lash formula, but what I like more than anything is that shabby brush. So! Why not just save the brush from my last tube, clean it, and use it with another mascara or even as a lash comb? Especially since some of the other vegan friendly mascaras seem to take a while to dry. Anyway, I thought you'd appreciate that. I guess I should take a shower.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:33 am 
Ninja Master

ndpittman wrote:
NARS
Smashbox

That looks a pretty good list and I only know about 2 of them...

NARS' website says they do not animal test and don't employ anyone to. However, they are owned by Shiseido who I think do (they have the old 'only where required by law line on their website).

Smashbox are owned by Estee Lauder.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:35 am 
Tofu Pup

ndpittman wrote:
@katiewantscupcakes thanks for posting that! The list is from Too Faced themselves? Sorry, I forgot, and I'm being too lazy to go back and read. Which is pretty sad considering you typed that list. In my defense I just woke up and am still in bed even.

While I was lying here thinking about this an avoiding actually getting up to get ready for work, I had a total "a-ha!" moment that I thought I would share. I really like the UD lux lash formula, but what I like more than anything is that shabby brush. So! Why not just save the brush from my last tube, clean it, and use it with another mascara or even as a lash comb? Especially since some of the other vegan friendly mascaras seem to take a while to dry. Anyway, I thought you'd appreciate that. I guess I should take a shower.

Hi :) Yes, the list is from Too Faced-Someone named Erica in customer service-I should have quoted my earlier post where I mentioned it was from Too Faced so people didn't have to read the entire thread over again haha- sorry about that :) And yes, definitely great idea about the Lush Lash!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 am 

Here's my quick list of questionables from the Sephora list.
Bare Escentuals parent company Shiseido
Frederic Fekkai parent company P&G
Korres Natural Products parent company Johnson & Johnson
L'Occitane on PETA's do test list (Beginning/began sales in China?)
Laura Mercier parent company Alicor/Amway (debated animal testing; conservative political support)
NARS
Smashbox
Urban Decay Beginning sales in China

Also, I find this website super helpful!
http://nottested.co.uk/Cosmetics.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I hope this item from Too Faced is vegan - because I can't resist leopard! Leopard Love Bronzing Set-Candy Leopard, and Peach Leopard

Laura Mercier parent company Alicor/Amway (debated animal testing; conservative political support) - that sucks. I guess shopping at any big box store though has the risk?

I went to Ulta yesterday and just looked around. I wish all my faves did not suck now. I actually went to look for a Mia (I want the animal print for my bday) and they told me to go to Sephora...Their customer service is off! The oddest part was that they did not even now what a Mia skin care brush was - even the manager and they are in the ads and a big $120+ seller.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 am 

missmuffcake wrote:
I hope this item from Too Faced is vegan - because I can't resist leopard! Leopard Love Bronzing Set-Candy Leopard, and Peach Leopard

Laura Mercier parent company Alicor/Amway (debated animal testing; conservative political support) - that sucks. I guess shopping at any big box store though has the risk?

I went to Ulta yesterday and just looked around. I wish all my faves did not suck now. I actually went to look for a Mia (I want the animal print for my bday) and they told me to go to Sephora...Their customer service is off! The oddest part was that they did not even now what a Mia skin care brush was - even the manager and they are in the ads and a big $120+ seller.

Yeah, I mean, I still shop at Target. I don't know. Trying to decide what's worse gives me a sad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The girl who runs Veggie Beauty posted that she is removing a lot of her companies from her CF list until she can do more research to find out if they're selling in China, etc. because she doesn't want to lead anyone astray. Someone responded asking her if she was making sure none of these companies use palm oil as well and then got in a vegan pissing match with her.

And this is why none of us can win unless we don't wear makeup, wash our hair, shop at any store that sells meat...basically we need to start a vegan commune and make sure we don't buy the land for a meat eater.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I just contacted pur minerals to see what is vegan. I saw the brand at Ulta yesterday....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

This is what I got back from Pur Minerals - boo on them. I wrote again asking if they had any vegan products.

No, we are not “vegan” free.
Example, we have Lactic acid in few of our products and these are derived from
Milk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ndpittman wrote:
L'Occitane on PETA's do test list (Beginning/began sales in China?)

what the fizzle?!!!! They used to be on the do not test list. I do not like this development.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mrsbadmouth wrote:
The girl who runs Veggie Beauty posted that she is removing a lot of her companies from her CF list until she can do more research to find out if they're selling in China, etc. because she doesn't want to lead anyone astray. Someone responded asking her if she was making sure none of these companies use palm oil as well and then got in a vegan pissing match with her.

And this is why none of us can win unless we don't wear makeup, wash our hair, shop at any store that sells meat...basically we need to start a vegan commune and make sure we don't buy the land for a meat eater.

This is why I've been kind of scared to commit to helping with your blog, because I know if I messed up somehow I'd get crucified by non-ppk type vegans. Like in the Trader Joe's thread on here someone posted that the cookie butter isn't vegan because of bone char sugar, which I appreciate, it's good info to know so I can make informed choices, but they linked someone's blog post as their source and it was like "so it's not vegan, and if you eat bone char sugar you can't call yourself vegan, just vegetarian".

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Last post for now, I swear. I checked out Veggie Beauty's new list, and saw that she has questions about some companies, Kitteh emailed Paul Mitchell and got a response

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry about our distribution in China. As the present moment, we have ceased any and all registrations of product into China as we realize that the Chinese government requires animal testing. We are an animal-friendly company and have made the decision to hold off on further product registrations until we find humane ways of registering and importing products into China.

In regard to vegan-friendly products, Paul Mitchell, MITCH and Tea Tree hair care and styling products are all on the list! Some of our Awapuhi Wild Ginger products contain keratin that is derived from sheep's wool, but rest assured that our sheep are never harmed during the shearing process!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Thanks for being a Paul Mitchell fan!

So it sounds like they began entering the Chinese market, then when they found out about the animal testing (or heard the uproar about UD) they stopped.

I had emailed Leaping Bunny about it as well, and they assured me that PM aren't currently in China.

Now not all the PM products they listed in the email as vegan are, some have beeswax and some have honey. Can vegans get together and send a press release out to personal care and cosmetic manufacturers detailing what is and is not vegan? Because I'm sick of everyone and their mother labeling products "vegan" when they have bee products or carmine.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:16 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

missmuffcake wrote:
This is what I got back from Pur Minerals - boo on them. I wrote again asking if they had any vegan products.

Milk.

I'd like to oppose Pur Minerals not on the basis of their animal ingredients but rather on their poor grammar and lack of reading comprehension.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

dakini wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Milk.

I'd like to oppose Pur Minerals not on the basis of their animal ingredients but rather on their poor grammar and lack of reading comprehension.

And the crappy customer service, I doubt I would buy from them. I just got back this after asking if they had a list:

No, not at this time.
Purminerals!

I guess they are doing so well that they do not need anymore business.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:

My hunch, lacking in any real emperical evidence, is that issues like this contribute to leading people away from veganism. For some people, you can't ever be vegan enough.

I think that if you post what is known about the companies, including recent emails from them and links to their sites, that should be enough for people to make their own decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm 
WRETCHED

You know, I'd totally eat cookie butter from Trader Joe's and not even be ashamed.

I think you just have to do your best but not drive yourself crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm a fan of Alima Pure's mineral eye shadows http://www.alimapure.com/. They have a really nice variety of neutrals, plus some bright blues, greens, golds and pinks. Also if you're into mineral foundation they have a huge selection of colors and they're really generous with samples. I'm glad to give my business to a small, Portland-based company that makes an effort to point out that their products are cruelty free and vegan (except for the lip balm).

I'm starting to run out of some of my Aveda and Origins products and I'm really struggling with what to do next. I try not to get caught up in perfectionism, but I also know I have to give it my best shot. I may still buy them in the future, if I can't find something that doesn't make my skin freak out, but if I don't at least try to find replacements, I'm going to feel crappy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Has anyone had any luck pressing loose shadows themselves? There are so many shadows and pigments that I love in swatches, but I HATE loose shadow. I spill it, it gets in my eyes, I get fallout and smears all over my face. I just don't have the coordination for loose shadow. But I've heard you can press them yourself, and I'm curious if it works.

Because if it does I'm going on a Medusa's Makeup spree.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am 
Ninja Master

I've never tried pressing pigments but I remember seeing someone do it on a blog. Maybe try it with some cheap ones just to see, I'm sure there's some vids on youtube.

I am also not a fan of loose shadow either. Although I do love Sugarpill's Chromalusts, they are fab, but I prefer pressed shadow.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next