| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urban Decay
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just saw that Everyday Minerals has "travel" sizes that come in rollerball applicators! I'm intrigued by this.

Does anyone have info on Sonia Kashuk? I just sent an email about a couple of the eyeshadow quads. I'm in the pro pressed shadow boat as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

This places has vegan loose shadow that they will press for you:

http://shop.buycsc.com/Custom-Products-Custom.htm

I do not know the quality - I found them via a search.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
The girl who runs Veggie Beauty posted that she is removing a lot of her companies from her CF list until she can do more research to find out if they're selling in China, etc. because she doesn't want to lead anyone astray. Someone responded asking her if she was making sure none of these companies use palm oil as well and then got in a vegan pissing match with her.

And this is why none of us can win unless we don't wear makeup, wash our hair, shop at any store that sells meat...basically we need to start a vegan commune and make sure we don't buy the land for a meat eater.

The forking palm oil people, I swear! I get their argument but quite honestly, you can make that same argument for so many different things. If we live, we destroy something. At least we have people making a massive step forward in trying to reduce their harm. The palm oil people have been some of the most pretentious vegans I've ever had the displeasure of sharing a title with. You can't go one post without seeing someone proclaim, "Well I don't use palm oil so I'm a real vegan, this is why my opinion is above yours." fork you. If you avoid palm oil, give yourself a pat on the back but you can do it without being a crasshole.

/Rant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:16 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I don't pay attention to the palm oil talk...I have bigger tofu slabs to fry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:10 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Mr. Shankly wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
The girl who runs Veggie Beauty posted that she is removing a lot of her companies from her CF list until she can do more research to find out if they're selling in China, etc. because she doesn't want to lead anyone astray. Someone responded asking her if she was making sure none of these companies use palm oil as well and then got in a vegan pissing match with her.

And this is why none of us can win unless we don't wear makeup, wash our hair, shop at any store that sells meat...basically we need to start a vegan commune and make sure we don't buy the land for a meat eater.

The forking palm oil people, I swear! I get their argument but quite honestly, you can make that same argument for so many different things. If we live, we destroy something. At least we have people making a massive step forward in trying to reduce their harm. The palm oil people have been some of the most pretentious vegans I've ever had the displeasure of sharing a title with. You can't go one post without seeing someone proclaim, "Well I don't use palm oil so I'm a real vegan, this is why my opinion is above yours." fork you. If you avoid palm oil, give yourself a pat on the back but you can do it without being a crasshole.

/Rant.

OMG yes, the "palm oil people" are the only vegans I've met and really truly disliked. A woman came & shouted at a friend of mine at her bakery stall at a vegan fair because she said she uses a margarine containing palm oil. Actually shouted & shoved leaflets in her face - I swear I've never met a ruder person. I give less of a shiitake about palm oil because of her!

/Rant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Uh oh... ... I don't know One Single Thing about palm oil, and now I'm half afraid to look.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

jojo wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

/Rant.

OMG yes, the "palm oil people" are the only vegans I've met and really truly disliked. A woman came & shouted at a friend of mine at her bakery stall at a vegan fair because she said she uses a margarine containing palm oil. Actually shouted & shoved leaflets in her face - I swear I've never met a ruder person. I give less of a shiitake about palm oil because of her!

/Rant.

I agree that palm oil isn't ethical, but if people want to start a line of face punching, I keep buying Earth Balance, so...

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

ndpittman wrote:
I just saw that Everyday Minerals has "travel" sizes that come in rollerball applicators! I'm intrigued by this.

I love this format , really easy to use and doesn't make a mess. I pretty much always have at least 3 in my purse.Plus they often give em as promos. You just gotta tap the ball a few times to get the product flowing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Aren't there some ethical, sustainable palm oil sources?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Picking apart other people's veganism does nothing but make you feel superior (which is what I really think the point is for those sorts of people). Yes, there are issues with palm oil but buying your coconut oil to make your EB substitute at Whole Foods is not exactly an issue-free event.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

lavawitch wrote:
Aren't there some ethical, sustainable palm oil sources?

Yes, that's another thing, not all palm oil is cutting down the rainforest. A lot of it is and like I said, it's obviously not ethical but vegan and ethical don't always go hand in hand, no matter what we might like to think.

I'm reminded of my first MoFo post two years ago, it was about cheap vegan groceries and had a picture of my week's food, and the first comment was some girl telling me that I was awful for buying bananas and supporting slavery. There's a right and wrong way to present information to people.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It's all so exhausting.

I'm not a real vegan anyway because I have birds. PETA would crucify me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I just realized that when I go to Sephora/Ulta/Macy's and they try to slather me with stuff and I tell them I am vegan - I can't get excited and tell them that UD is great due to the paw prints when they mention the brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 am 
WELFARIST!

The big thing with the palm oil people- I don't really care whether or not someone uses it. The problem is when they go around presenting themselves as "the real vegans" and spitting on everyone else. These same people wear clothes and shoes made from slaves, their food more than likely was grown and picked by slaves, their house was made by killing trees to both construct the building and clear the land, etc. They don't have any right to act ethical-than-thou. Riding a high horse isn't vegan!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 am 

Yes, but, EYESHADOWS!

http://www.yabycosmetics.com/eyeshadow-refill/

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but it looks like the shiz.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

good Lard, those look great! the dramatically neutral palette is so pretty!

AND they have blush, which is always the tough one for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
Yes, but, EYESHADOWS!

That's pretty cheap! I wonder how strong the pigments are.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 pm 

I saw somewhere else they were compared to MAC, but I don't know for sure. Here's a review from crueltyfreekit.com. When I googled "yaby cosmetics" a video with Melisser popped up, too, so maybe she can comment?

http://www.crueltyfreekit.com/2011/02/yaby-eyeshadow-palette/

I wrote to Josie Maran about their eyeshadows. Below is my message and their response.

Quote:
RE: Argan Beautiful Eyes in Beautiful Nudes I see this product is not listed as vegan, and I'm wondering why that is? What animal ingredient is included in this product? They look like lovely shades, and I'm looking for replacements to Urban Decay as they now allow animal testing. Thanks, Nicole

Quote:
Hi Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to write in, my name is Iesha. All of our Beautiful Eyes including Beautiful Nudes are indeed Vegan Products and we will definitely list that on the website as soon as possible! They are wonderful shades and we're an animal cruelty-free company! I hope this helps!

We appreciate your feedback, please feel free to contact us whenever you have questions or comments! Hope to hear from you soon, have a great day Nicole!

Best, Iesha

ETA: Also, Lush Cosmetics color (Emotional Brilliance) look like they'll be out mid-July (21st, maybe?). The video is kind of dumb.
http://www.lushusa.com/Emotional-Brilliance/emotionalbrilliance,en_US,pg.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:51 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

If I may derail a little farther on the palm oil issue... from what I remember of my LUSH days, palm oil production is causing massive deforestation, destroying the habitat of endangered animals and exploiting the labors of indigenous communities. It's a good issue to be aware of and if you can find palm-free alternatives to your favorite products, I send my high fives. If you can't, consider writing a letter to your favorite companies asking them to seek alternatives. LUSH replaced palm oil in their soaps with a blend of coconut oil, canola oil, and some other stuff I forgot. In my experience, it is easier to find palm-free beauty products than it is to find palm-free convenience foods. It's in everything, seriously.
I have Earth Balance in my fridge as well. Bring on the face punches.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:53 pm 

Also, when we get our new beauty site going I'll write a detailed review and tutorial, but this $3 concealer stick I got by Wet and Wild is seriously rocking my world.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ndpittman wrote:
Yes, but, EYESHADOWS!

ZOMG. Need.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Josie Maran confuses me- they had their liquid foundation listed as vegan, so I got a sample, considered buying it, then noticed the vegan designation was gone from the website. I also emailed them about the sunscreen (appears to be only sold at Sephora, it's not the one with moisturizer), and I got a response saying they'd look into it, but never heard back. I want to like their stuff though!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

dakini wrote:
Also, when we get our new beauty site going I'll write a detailed review and tutorial, but this $3 concealer stick I got by Wet and Wild is seriously rocking my world.

Oooo, what is it called? I really, really need concealer right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:09 pm 

It's this stuff: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wet-n- ... 25-product
and actually it's $2, not $3.
I'm reeeeaaaalllllly pale and the lightest shade was perfect for me. I use it under my eyes- bye bye, bags!- and on my hormonal acne which hasn't gotten the memo that I'm not a teenager anymore. Afterwards, I top it off with this Wet and Wild Natural Blend powder, which was $5, still cheap compared to the $30 I usually spend on Benefit- http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wet-n- ... 06-product .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Thank you dakini, you just made my day!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next