| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

baps wrote:
I can't help with preventing them but mending a split is easy. Instead of clear polish you need nail glue. Tea bag paper works but if you can get hold of some fibreglass, that's way better (you can get this pretty cheap in sally's usually).

Just cut off enough to cover the entire split, put some nail glue over the split and put the piece of fibreglass over it. Then add more nail glue on top to cover the fibreglass. let it dry then file any raggy edges off and use a buffing block to to smooth it over if it's rough.

I just fixed the edge of my nail with nail glue, a piece of teabag and a buffer (didn't bring clear polish) and I can't even see where it was split. Flying and cheap airport soap always mess up my nails, so I decided to get some glue this time, just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

ugh, both my hands and feet are in such rough shape. i've chipped, broken, or bitten every nail off in the last few weeks. damn you, stress! but i'm going at them with a vengeance today...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just ordered Diwali. I'm a bit annoyed: I've had at least 4 emails from chanel.com in the past week for various things, but nothing for the Paris-Bombay collection; I just found it by accident. Hrmph.

I was nervous that my gift card wouldn't go through, but it did. Yay. That was sure worth the hour sitting around critiqueing an education website.

Also: this had better be the most forking amazing color/polish EVER since the total was $37, with shipping. Yeouch. Of course, it is already on ebay for $64. I guess it is comforting that there are people dumber than I am.

I am speculating that this might not actually sell out as fast as anticipated. Gold Fingers is still available. I think that this new ridiculous price point is limiting sales. I probably should have waited until July when Skyline is out so I could have paid for one shipping and bought both on the same gift card.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

First paint job since college in the 80s:

base coat: Butter London horse something, not really a base coat but the gal at Ulta said it could be used that way, we'll find out when MacBeth comes off
color: Butter London MacBeth, 2 coats
top coat: OPI regular top coat

Bubbles galore but no chips since applying Tuesday evening. This is day 5. Some wear on the tips but not noticeable from above, only by looking under the tips.

I really wanted to use a nail strengthener under everything because I had a lot of side cracks forming back in the skin area. That's what my nails do, crack and peas (this was really p-i-s-s but the forum software is changing it to peas) me off. Then I end up with nail chunks missing back into the fingertip while other portions are normal. Hoping to grow these out so they can be properly trimmed.

Used cheapie nail clippers and cardboard emery to trim before painting. The nail scissors I have are crepe and just made a mess so I resorted back to clippers.

Activities: typing, painted walls and baseboards of dressing nook of bedroom & cleaning brushes and rollers, dishes without gloves but I don't immerse dishes rather rinse and pop in dishwasher, nothing really too stressful on the nails.

LOVE the MacBeth color. Goes with pink or peachy-pink clothing.

So, I'm really happy with how long this paint job has lasted but now I have to figure out how to ditch the bubbles. I don't remember getting bubbles in the 80s but I also never used base and top coats back then. And the Butter London was so thick that I couldn't paint 2 THIN coats without streaks and skips.

Anyway, this is still pretty encouraging for an old broad like me. And I would NOT have made it this far without this PPK thread. Seriously. Sounds shallow but true. I can go to meetings now without hiding my hands during presentations (except for the bubbles but I'll work on that ;-) Thank yous guys!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:18 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Bubbles are usually because you didn't wait enough time between coats for it to dry. The more coats, the longer the drying time. I usually take about an hour total to paint my nails, sometimes if it's late or I need to do something, i'll put on just the base and one coat and go to bed/let it dry and then do what I have to do and continue in the morning.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Bubbles are usually because you didn't wait enough time between coats for it to dry. The more coats, the longer the drying time. I usually take about an hour total to paint my nails, sometimes if it's late or I need to do something, i'll put on just the base and one coat and go to bed/let it dry and then do what I have to do and continue in the morning.

Aha! That makes sense. I'll try that next round. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What MBM said, but also coats that are too thick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:31 pm 

Also standing in front of the air conditioner to dry your nails faster also makes bubbles. It sucks.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Has anyone tried the dipping your hands in cold water trick? I've never wanted to risk new nails to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've don't dip but I always run them under cold water a few times. I'm probably jinxing myself here but I never get bubbles.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:21 pm 

I do remember hearing about the cold water trick in high school. So we at least know it's been around for oh...30+ years or so. I don't recall trying it.

Did read that blowing on them will create bubbles so I didn't do that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 pm 

Does anyone else get the impression that Sally's keeps some stuff in the back? They had the Prismatics, then they disappeared and last week they had a massive polish clearance, and then this week I went back to hunt for stuff to swap with jojo, and the clearance was full of Prismatics!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've had bare nails for two days. Not quite a record, but close.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:00 pm 

ORLY Mysterious Curse AND IT IS ALREADY CHIPPING AFTER TWO HOURS WHY GOD WHY

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:06 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hm, must really be cursed!
Seriously, I bought that polish recently so less than thrilled to hear this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:26 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Does anyone else get the impression that Sally's keeps some stuff in the back? They had the Prismatics, then they disappeared and last week they had a massive polish clearance, and then this week I went back to hunt for stuff to swap with jojo, and the clearance was full of Prismatics!

Sally's stock room, first paragraph. Looks like you're not the only one. http://thelacqueredlady.blogspot.com/20 ... s-and.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

mrsbadmouth wrote:

What is the formula like? Maybe it went on too thick? That's usually when I have that problem.

I love the name of this polish. Off to google swatches.

Oh, that is gorgeous. It reminds me of Chanel Cosmic Blue (Cosmique), but without the mirror shine. Cosmic Blue is one of the old colors I'd pay eBay prices for if I could afford it. The bottle is opaque shiny blue, so I have no idea how much I have left. I did a toothpick test, but my bottle seems pretty thin and unworkable. I think I got that in 2000.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

yes! i bought mysterious curse on friday, put it on friday evening, and this morning i had two chips before i even finished showering. ARGH. it's beautiful but i was a little bummed about the chips. it's also my first orly polish so i wasn't sure if it was just the brand or what.

orly mysterious curse by vegan.chai, on Flickr

Last edited by bluedawg on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Do all deep blue/purple polishes chip more easily, maybe?

I've noticed that mine chip quicker than other colors (like Blue Satin). I can get 3 days or so, but not a full week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

hmm, i am pretty addicted to navy blues and i haven't found that to be a problem with other blues... i get a week of wear out of zoya ibiza or a england tristam, for example... and barry m navy wears really well (for me) too. harumph.

i was planning to do a fresh top coat today (i usually do it every other day when i'm being good) but i never even got that far. so now i'm just going to leave it, let them get beat up at the humane society tomorrow, and then do a fresh mani tomorrow night. #firstworldproblems

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:03 pm 

All ORLY's aren't like that! I've had Oui last for a week with no major chips, and I seem to be really chip-prone. It was kind of hard to get on and gloopy, so i'm blaming the formula.

The desire to peel it all off is so strong...must...resist.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was talking to my mom yesterday, and she asked me if nail polish is vegan. I was like, "MOM! Where have you been?!" Then she was going to get L'Oreal polish but I convinced her to seek out Orly, Sinful Colors, or Wet N Wild. She also did the, "Am I too old to wear one of those bright colors that are in now?" Aw, Mom.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm 

Brian's grandma told me her favorite brand is Sinful Colors and she was rocking neon pink a few weeks ago. She thought it was too bright but I told her she was totally on trend.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Brian's grandma told me her favorite brand is Sinful Colors and she was rocking neon pink a few weeks ago. She thought it was too bright but I told her she was totally on trend.

That is awesome!

Come to think of it, I saw an older woman (mid 60s, maybe?) who had some kind of bright pedi. I think it might have been yellow or blue, like something really bright and funky. I remember I was looking down while walking, and it made me smile, so I looked up, and you could tell that the woman totally liked that I dug her nail polish. She was glad that I recognized the hip, hip lady that she must be!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've missed about 4 pages of this thread, I have some catching up to do!

Ozma - your sneaker nails look awesome!

missmuffcake wrote:
Nice! I am thinking of finally giving and buying BL 'dark knight'...

It looks really good on, buy it! You too, Nicole!

Erinnerung wrote:
You guys! I think you all broke me because I've never cared about nail polish before, but now I want some. So where do I start? Do I need top coats and base coats and stuff (and which ones)? And what's a good thing to make my nails stronger? I'm clumsy and always break them while doing really innocuous things. Help me be a fancy lady!

I can send you links for where I get my polish from. For now Australis and Sportsgirl's Nail It! are vegan/cruelty free. I spotted Orly in Priceline the other day but I think it was a one off. The distributors of Zoya and Orly here sell them for $17/18 and Butter London is in lots of hfs and they're about $22. I'll send you a message ;) I use Nubar Nu Nail (only avail. online) and it's awesome for keeping my nails strong and helps them grow.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I feel your pain!

2 coats of Orly La Playa with Orly Lemonade stamped over using KIP m21, it sort of matched the book I was reading

So, I've been searching for this Nail It! polish that Jessi told me about but I missed out on it, but I did find a colour I liked called Olive, this is 2 coats plus Orly Liquid Vinyl tiger stripes using KIP m57

Reply to topic  [ 7494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 300  Next