| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 305  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kitteh wrote:
I can send you links for where I get my polish from. For now Australis and Sportsgirl's Nail It! are vegan/cruelty free. I spotted Orly in Priceline the other day but I think it was a one off. The distributors of Zoya and Orly here sell them for $17/18 and Butter London is in lots of hfs and they're about $22. I'll send you a message ;) I use Nubar Nu Nail (only avail. online) and it's awesome for keeping my nails strong and helps them grow.

I didn't even think to check the Sportsgirl stuff! That's cool. I ordered a couple of Zoya polishes from a store in Brisbane yesterday (they were like $15 there) and I've seen Butter London stuff at the big health food store here that I go to. What about Bloom? I was wandering around David Jones and they had a ton of polishes and other things, I'm pretty sure I remember them being advertised as organic or something, but I haven't found any info about whether they're vegan.

And that's awesome about the Nubar stuff, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erinnerung wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
I can send you links for where I get my polish from. For now Australis and Sportsgirl's Nail It! are vegan/cruelty free. I spotted Orly in Priceline the other day but I think it was a one off. The distributors of Zoya and Orly here sell them for $17/18 and Butter London is in lots of hfs and they're about $22. I'll send you a message ;) I use Nubar Nu Nail (only avail. online) and it's awesome for keeping my nails strong and helps them grow.

I didn't even think to check the Sportsgirl stuff! That's cool. I ordered a couple of Zoya polishes from a store in Brisbane yesterday (they were like $15 there) and I've seen Butter London stuff at the big health food store here that I go to. What about Bloom? I was wandering around David Jones and they had a ton of polishes and other things, I'm pretty sure I remember them being advertised as organic or something, but I haven't found any info about whether they're vegan.

And that's awesome about the Nubar stuff, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

I used to be a fan of Bloom polish but I'm not any more, they're way too expensive for what they are plus they're not 3-free (that's a turn off for me, but not everyone minds about those chemicals). For some reason when I went vegan I stopped using all nail products because I assumed they were all made using animal testing, then a few years later I contacted Bloom and got a reply with a list of ingredients so I assumed they were vegan, but I later realised that they'd only sent me a list of common ingredients, excluding any colours. So while they told me they do not test, they didn't tell me any of the colours so I don't know if they're from animal sources. I'll email them again. I have about 15 of their colours but I feel like binning them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Don't forget BYS (not 3-free, stinky, but great colors) as well as Glitter Gal and Ozotic.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Don't forget BYS (not 3-free, stinky, but great colors) as well as Glitter Gal and Ozotic.

Thanks, J! I mentioned BYS in my PM but I knew I was forgetting some, like GG and Ozotic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Okay guys, have you seen these in your town?

http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -wild.html

Jessi said they're for summer and I know that post is from April, but I went to Meijer and they didn't have the display (and i've never seen the display at Meijer), but on an end cap there were three bottles of the Spoiled ones...all of which I have, of course. I really want the star one. Like I will knife a bisque for it. Or trade someone!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I got a bottle at a CVS in Joliet, but I haven't seen them anywhere else except one picked over display at the Meijer in Plainfield, where the star one was already gone. I'm looking for a bottle to send Kitteh in our July swap, and if I find an extra I'll snag it for you. If not KleanColor has a bottle that's just clear with holo stars and holo glitter, no bar glitter though, but they sell a bottle that's clear with holo bar glitter too. Beautyjoint.com has KleanColor cheap.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Holy crepe. Need those stars! I will check Around here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I went looking for the star polish - because I love stars! I tried making my own star polish with some tiny star confetti my friend gave me - the color bled though - boo! This month's Maven box comes with a free nail polish - if you live in the USA it is a red/blue glitter with red stars for the 4th!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:10 am 

I'll check Meijer again, maybe they just hadn't put the display up? Fingers crossed?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If anything the Meijer display likely already came and went. They put up displays months before anyone else, usually before bloggers are even posting about the collections. It's a bit crazy making, because by the time I find out about a collection and get to Meijer it's already completely picked over, and then I have to wait at least a month for the polishes to start showing up elsewhere.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 pm 

Yeah, they didn't have it but it's weird that I never saw it, since I go to Mejier a few times a month and I always check the endcap displays. I will just sit here and make this face. :(

I wonder if there's a way to order it online?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:28 pm 

Also I bought a cute mini summer set from the 10th Walgreens I went to, not thinking, and both of the non-vegan colors are in it. I cannot win today! Maybe i'll just give the whole thing to the girl next door, she's 11 so she seems like the right age for nail painting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Question for the experts:

How long does polish last and what's the best way to store it? Does humidity or temperature matter since it's in a bottle?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kitteh wrote:

So, I've been searching for this Nail It! polish that Jessi told me about but I missed out on it, but I did find a colour I liked called Olive, this is 2 coats plus Orly Liquid Vinyl tiger stripes using KIP m57

LOVE your tiger stripes! Someday, after I get better at avoiding bubbles, I'll tackle patterns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:35 pm 

Polish can get thick and gloopy from the air, but it should last pretty much forever. They make thinning drops, and making sure you keep the lids really tight helps.

I know it's best to keep it in a cool, dark place if you can. I keep mine in a drawer, but if you want to display them just don't do it in a place where the sun is going to hit them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have 20 your old bottles! Keep them tightly closed, including between coats, and store in a reasonably stable environment.

You can add thinner to polish that gets gloopy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow, 20 years is a long time.

I'll put them in a drawer.

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

snarkyvegan wrote:
Wow, 20 years is a long time.

I'll put them in a drawer.

thanks!

I'm weird. I've been collecting Chanel nail polish for around 20 years. Some of those old colors are highly collectible. I use and enjoy though; I'm not running a nail polish museum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lavawitch wrote:
I'm weird. I've been collecting Chanel nail polish for around 20 years. Some of those old colors are highly collectible. I use and enjoy though; I'm not running a nail polish museum.

So, then I must ask: of all the polish you have in your stash, what is your number 1 fave?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I never did get a response from Lane Bryant on whether or not their Cacique polish is cruelty free and vegan. I didn't really expect to tho. Guess the silence speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

snarkyvegan wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

So, then I must ask: of all the polish you have in your stash, what is your number 1 fave?

I'll have a different answer on different days. But maybe Chanel Platinum. Pepite is awesome too. And Cosmic Blue. And....see what I mean? But Platinum is pretty darn amazing.It's hard to find swatches and doesn't photograph well, but it has a special aqua base like holo polishes and has an authentic mirror/chrome shine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

snarkyvegan wrote:
I never did get a response from Lane Bryant on whether or not their Cacique polish is cruelty free and vegan. I didn't really expect to tho. Guess the silence speaks for itself.

I do like their bras though!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I found a bunch of polish on clearance at Rite Aid today. It was such a nice surprise. They had Color Club, LA Girl Fruity and Disco Brites, WnW Chrome and Color Icon Bejeweled Collection. First I just found one Color Club purple in the regular cosmetics section and I was thrilled with that. THEN I found a huge table by the registers just full of polish. I got a few, *ahem*, a lot. I need to put myself on a no-buy next month...maybe...we'll see...a month is an awfully long time.

I haven't seen that WnW stars one but I'll snatch it up if I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can totally see how buying when things are on sale can become a problem. THIS is why I'm stalling when it comes to my first visit to Sally's. You guys talk about all their sales and I'm scared ;-]

I've already spent so much just ramping up. DH is freaking out, every time I come home, it's with a bag from somewhere.

I will tho, have to check out Chanel Platinum. I don't have a silvery color yet. Was ogling the holo polishes from Nubar? Nufar? Whatever. #64 or something.

oh well, time to go sort bottles by color until I feel sleepy.

night all!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Dont set your heart on Platinum. It has sold on eBay for up to $300.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 305  Next