| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 304  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:26 am 
Naked Under Apron

Nicole wrote:

I was just going to ask about this! I saw Scouse on the website yesterday and was all :O and googled swatches immediately (there are none). They didn't have it at Nordstrom yesterday, but I'll be stalking it.

I ended up buying Disco Biscuit though- it's so fun! I can't believe this is the first BL polish I've bought. Floodgates = open.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 am 
Ninja Master

They do sell Mavala over here but I've only seen it in the beauty wholesalers so you'd prob have to buy in a salon.

Models Own is pretty cool. It's fairly recent that they've started selling it in Boots over here.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know how often you go to London, but if you do and you have time Models Own have a very cool store in a mall there, it's designed to look like a nail polish bottle!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 210&type=1

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:39 pm 
Ninja Master

Ooh awesome. I need an excuse to go to Shepherds Bush. The pro make up shop's there and I get a good discount!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

heads up, half of the new fall zoyas are up on scrangie!

http://www.scrangie.com/2012/07/zoya-di ... tches.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is probably the first time ever where Zoya released a collection and I wanted all of them. I'm not usually big on reds, but Elisa is my favorite from those swatches, it's so glowy!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

apparently there are two other collections: designer (6 smoky cremes) and then a set of three "glosses" which are jellies you layer over other colors. i found a couple of swatches of the jellies but none of the cremes yet. probably won't be too long now, though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have Katherine already because I bought the Peter Som set during fashion week, but I'm interested in seeing Paloma and Frida.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

http://killerlipgloss.com/zoya-designer ... 2-swatche/
swatches of the cremes.

I'm slightly miffed they re-released the Peter Som colors. I jumped on that set because it was supposed to be LE.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I was perusing nail polish on the Sephora website as was looking at sets from the New Black and saw this
Quote:
THE NEW BLACK’s range of polish is long-wearing, chip-resistant, non-toxic, and vegan.

http://www.sephora.com/the-new-black?om ... ZS5jb20%3d

So new brand to try? I'm thinking yes.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bluedawg wrote:
heads up, half of the new fall zoyas are up on scrangie!

http://www.scrangie.com/2012/07/zoya-di ... tches.html

song! suri! elisa!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:05 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Fei Fei!

The first one is a total dupe of ORLY Oui, though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:33 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

booberthefraggle wrote:
I would keep mine the same for like two weeks at a shot if they didn't start wearing and chipping. Because of what I do (manual labor and art) my nails get trashed really really fast so I have to re-do them every 2-3 days. Keep us updated on the shellack sitch! if it works and is vegan I may very well be in to having that shiz done.

girrrlz, I forgot this thread. Yep, had three shellack appointments in the meantime and if you get tired of the colour, just put a different on top! As long as your nail polish remover is acetone free, it doesnt remove the shellack bit. I LOVE it! It doesnt chip, my nails live longer, and its pretty! The first design was black with red tips, then inverted french (nail was red and the base was white), and now I just have a light rose because it looks nice and summery. Def try it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jessilikewhoa wrote:
So I was perusing nail polish on the Sephora website as was looking at sets from the New Black and saw this
Quote:
THE NEW BLACK’s range of polish is long-wearing, chip-resistant, non-toxic, and vegan.

I was in sephora last week and I noticed these. The black was particularly interesting, because both bottles looked like they were just cremes even though I think one was supposed to be glitter. I kind of wish I had swatched now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've been waiting for those Zoya swatches. I've never met a nail color I didn't like but all I really wanted was a navy blue because I can't have enough. Natty will be mine! And probably Song, and Ray, and...

Just did a mani with my first Savina polish, After Midnight. Gah, it is just too beautiful. Has sort of a jelly-ness to it, either that or I have no clue about nail finishes. I was thrilled to find Savina at my teeny, tiny, health food store. They have two long shelves of them and even have the treatments for $4 a bottle.

Wearing Sinful Colors What's Your Name on my toes, another beautiful one. Luckily I also have Spoiled's Parking Meteor Expired which seems to be a dupe for the SC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Nicole wrote:
jessilikewhoa wrote:
Quote:

I was in sephora last week and I noticed these. The black was particularly interesting, because both bottles looked like they were just cremes even though I think one was supposed to be glitter. I kind of wish I had swatched now!

I'm so excited about this! I kept eyeing them up, but I didn't bother looking into it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:45 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Update. I got a quick answer from Depend. They are indeed vegan! They are also 3 and possibly 5 free (I only remembered to ask about camphor, which they do not contain). This is great news, but might be bad since these are everywhere here and a lot cheaper than everything else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:52 am 
Ninja Master

jerusha wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
I would keep mine the same for like two weeks at a shot if they didn't start wearing and chipping. Because of what I do (manual labor and art) my nails get trashed really really fast so I have to re-do them every 2-3 days. Keep us updated on the shellack sitch! if it works and is vegan I may very well be in to having that shiz done.

girrrlz, I forgot this thread. Yep, had three shellack appointments in the meantime and if you get tired of the colour, just put a different on top! As long as your nail polish remover is acetone free, it doesnt remove the shellack bit. I LOVE it! It doesnt chip, my nails live longer, and its pretty! The first design was black with red tips, then inverted french (nail was red and the base was white), and now I just have a light rose because it looks nice and summery. Def try it!

Boober, if you are very hard on your hands, Shellac may not be any better for you. According to nail techs I know, it lasts as a couple of weeks as long as you have good nails, follow the aftercare, and are not too hard on your nails. It might be worth a try but you might be better off with something a bit more hard-wearing.

Gelicure by Nubar is vegan, if you can find someone near you that provides it. It's a gel hybrid polish so it might provide a bit more strength than Shellac, which is not gel based. Plus there's loads of colours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I tried searching for this, but does anyone have a recommendation for a base coat to prevent staining? I know some of you said that you've had polishes stain even with a base coat, but I didn't know if anyone had found a particularly effective one.

My Disco Biscuit test thumbnail is a bit pink, and I want to at least try to prevent it before doing all my nails.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I usually use BL Flawless Basecoat and I don't get staining, but I think that in general, any base coat is going to help prevent staining over nothing at all.

Sometimes if I'm removing lacquer and it's a particularly pigmented color (navy blue, reds), it will get on my fingers and nails, but it's usually fine if I go over it agin with some more remover.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Staining is usually a quality issue, so you can easily avoid it by choosing a different brand.

Doubling up on base coat may help, but definitely look for one that is of a thicker, more gel like consistency or try a ridge filling base coat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i don't get staining and i always use zoya anchor as my base.

sorry, i know some of you are probably like YES LINDSAY WE HEAR YOU, YOU USE ZOYA, JESUS... but i know not everyone reads everything so i still like to answer people in case it helps. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks guys! The guilty party is Butter London, and I like them too much to avoid them. I've tested a lot of their colors though, and this is the only one that has stained my nail a bit.

Maybe I'll bit the bullet and get that Zoya base/top/remover set. Have I said lately that I hate ordering stuff online? Yeah. :P This seems worth it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My nails are forever tinged yellow from polish, mostly I get staining from blues and greens, but some reds and burgundys stain too. I don't really care though because nobody ever sees my naked nails. I've heard that ridge filling base coats are good for preventing staining, I'm guessing because they're usually tinted peachy or white, and they're thicker, but I haven't tried any.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I painted my nails rainbow last week, four different brands, with ORLY Bonder, and the only color that didn't bleed through at all was the purple Zoya. In general though, I don't have a problem with staining while wearing Bonder, so it was kind of weird that 4 out of the 5 colors stained.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 304  Next