| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 305  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 am 
Ninja Master

snarkyvegan wrote:
Looking for a fast drying alternative to Revlon's top coat. I need a replacement now that they are on Peta's shiitake list. Any recommendations?

Seche Vite. Best top coat ever, touch dry in about 10 seconds flat!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:35 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

ndpittman wrote:
http://www.thepolishaholic.com/2012/08/OPI-Fall-2012-Germany-Collection-Swatches-Review.html

I picked My Very First Knockworst from the OPI Germany collection. I love how I pick a boring color then I'm disappointed because it's boring. I really wanted Tickle My France-y, but the salon didn't seem to have it. Also, OPI names make me want to hang my head in shame.

I clicked that links and those names are the worst! My very first Knockwurst? Don't Pretzel my Buttons? I just...have no words. If they want to use German words, they should maybe have used a dictionary. It's Knackwurst people! And Brezel./rant

The colours are pretty though, especially that blue one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am 
Ninja Master

OPI names are the worst. OK maybe not as bad as Butter London, but still awful and cringey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

baps wrote:
snarkyvegan wrote:
Looking for a fast drying alternative to Revlon's top coat. I need a replacement now that they are on Peta's shiitake list. Any recommendations?

Seche Vite. Best top coat ever, touch dry in about 10 seconds flat!

Yeah, but doesn't that one have toluene and other nasties?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 am 

baps wrote:
OPI names are the worst. OK maybe not as bad as Butter London, but still awful and cringey.

The names really are terrible. Every Month Is Oktoberfest reminds me of a nail polish I used to have. I need a good purple... And maybe a polish that isn't really dark? I'm thinking silver maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 am 
Ninja Master

I don't think it's 3 free. I'm not sure. But to be honest I'm not sure if that bothers me really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 am 

baps wrote:
I don't think it's 3 free. I'm not sure. But to be honest I'm not sure if that bothers me really.

Personal preference, but something you might want to be aware of. It could also clash with some nail polishes. I'm rather sensitive and strong smells bother me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:26 am 
Ninja Master

fruitbat wrote:
baps wrote:

Personal preference, but something you might want to be aware of. It could also clash with some nail polishes. I'm rather sensitive and strong smells bother me.

It's ok, I am aware of it. SV only has toluene in, not the other 2. Most of the research I read when I was researching brands to train with state that the amount of this chemical used in polish is so low, it's not harmful.

I agree, the smell of SV is pretty gross but I love that it dries super quick and gives lovely shine. It's never clashed with polishes on me before, but then I only wear regular polish on my toes now, so I don't use it as often as it lasts longer on toes than fingers I find.

Also, I only use it on me, I use Nubar on clients and they are 3 free, as I know it is important to some people.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

SV makes a lot of polishes shrink, mostly Zoya. I doubt it's 3-free since it smells like all of my mom's polishes in the 80's.

Speaking of smell, ELF has the worst smelling polishes. I was marking my bottle tops (white out then a dab of the polish so I can see the colors from the top while looking in my drawer), and I had an array of polishes, including two ELF ones I got on clearance at Target. They smelled like death. I didn't even have to get close to the bottle to get a headache. I opened half a dozen bottles after that and the ELF smell still lingered.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 am 
Discovered unobtainium

SV is definitely pretty toxic.

I hate the Zoya base coat (I just find that it dries my nails out), but have found that the top coat plus quick dry drops isn't too bad. I am hooked on the drops now; I need to order more. I just wish the Zoya top coat were shinier. The drops work with others though--I get a perfect mirror shine when I used with Chanel top coat (that I'm not buying again since the prices went up again).

I did a Skittles with the three Dior Gris shades. I love them, but hate the brush. It's just so hard to get my nails to look nice when the brush is bigger than some of my nails.

My nails were over 1/4 long and getting annoying. I just clipped them to the tops and feel better. I just prefer shorter nails, I guess. Looks better with the dark colors anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Every month is Oktoberfest is GORGEOUS. Saying OPI names almost make me feel like one of the poor pups on dog shaming, like I should be wearing the name on a sign around my neck and hanging my head. The Butter London names don't bother me as much, but I think it's just because I'm American so other country's slang is OHMYGODSOCUTE!

LW, that sounds so pretty! Agree with you on nail length and the Dior brush. I do not get what's going on with that thing. I find that when my nail get too long typing feels really weird.

I like the SV, but I have been seeing a lot of shrinkage. I guess the trick is to put it on while your polish is still wet. Butter London PDQ is decent and some people like Poshe topcoat, but I didn't care for it much. It's supposed to be free of the ickies though, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 am 
Ninja Master

mrsbadmouth wrote:
SV makes a lot of polishes shrink, mostly Zoya. I doubt it's 3-free since it smells like all of my mom's polishes in the 80's.

Yeah SV is not 3 free, it only 2 free! It has toluene in.

I've never experienced the shrinking using SV. But then I'm not a Zoya fan so I guess the polishes I normally go for don't react to it.

Edit: just seen ndpittman's post and yes you're definitely right. SV has to go on wet polish. It's definitely not one you can use to top up your top coat a couple days after your mani, it will just wrinkle up and peel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 am 

I don't use SV often, but when I do I try to put it on as quickly as possible.

Oh and snarkyvegan, I use ORLY Bonder too and have the same problem with BL polishes. Those two just do not go well together, I mentioned my BL problem a few pages back about how The Dark Knight chipped in less than 12 hours and while I was at work, I scratched my palm and my entire thumb nail came up in a perfect sheet. I know most polishes work best with their own brand of base, but that is ridic. I love Bonder otherwise.

Now that my hand eczema is on break (fork you, summer) I can now properly remove my polish and clean up the edges, which means my polish lasts longer and doesn't look like a five year old did it. Yay!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 am 

MBM, did you send me your eczema? Also, I was having BL trouble using Orly Bonder. I thought it was the polish, but maybe it was just the two of them not working well together...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am 

Actually, it just transferred to my scalp. I had to put tea tree oil in my conditioner! But at least I can paint my nails and not wear 2-3 bandaids again...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I have a cut under my fingernail. I must of cut it opening a package. No polish in fear of remover getting near it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Actually, it just transferred to my scalp. I had to put tea tree oil in my conditioner! But at least I can paint my nails and not wear 2-3 bandaids again...

OH! Does that help? I've been using Giovanni's 50:50 balanced shampoo and conditioner and California Babies detangler, but it's still getting a little funky around my hairline.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Oh and snarkyvegan, I use ORLY Bonder too and have the same problem with BL polishes. Those two just do not go well together, I mentioned my BL problem a few pages back about how The Dark Knight chipped in less than 12 hours and while I was at work, I scratched my palm and my entire thumb nail came up in a perfect sheet. I know most polishes work best with their own brand of base, but that is ridic. I love Bonder otherwise.

Thanks for the confirmation! I wondered if that was the problem. So what does ORLY bonder work with other than ORLY polish? I guess I'm still looking for an awesome basecoat and top coat. I could deal with the smell of SV but not the speed with which you have to apply it over wet polish. I'm not that quick now that I have a shaky left hand. Takes me forever to do a paint job.

Thanks to everyone for the discussion on top and base coats. This really helps!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Glanced and my nails tonight and realized: I have my mother's nails! GA!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

snarkyvegan wrote:

Does Essence sell their Better Than Gel Nails top coat in the US? This stuff is absolutely awesome! And cheap, too. Never had any shrinking problems and it does dry super smooth and shiny.

(As far as I know, Essence is cruelty free.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Lily wrote:
Does Essence sell their Better Than Gel Nails top coat in the US? This stuff is absolutely awesome! And cheap, too. Never had any shrinking problems and it does dry super smooth and shiny.

(As far as I know, Essence is cruelty free.)

Thanks for the tip! I'm searching for it now. Looks like Ulta sells the polishes but I can't find the top coat on their website. May have to go by a store after work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:42 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Sinful Colors - Hottie

(Not my picture)

I used two coats.
It's really pretty, but I'm not sure I like it sheer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

My right pinky nail apparently got hurt at some point because now everytime it grows past super short it flattens and cracks and splits. It's been a few months now. So sad.

The hubs got me the new CG holiday green - winter holly? - because last year's glitterin garland is my favorite polish EVER and w.h. isn't great. it's more sheer and it dries matte and it peeled off in sheets today.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:55 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have been comparing Studio M and Seche Vite to see which I like better (yanno, expensive vs inexpensive), and honestly, each has their place and I think would be personal preference. Sometimes I want to use the Seche Vite, and others, the 0 to 30 Speedy....

I say try out different top coats till you find one you really like because different ones will react differently in the regions you are in depending on humidity and all kinds of stupid factors..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:51 pm 

snarkyvegan wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation! I wondered if that was the problem. So what does ORLY bonder work with other than ORLY polish? I guess I'm still looking for an awesome basecoat and top coat. I could deal with the smell of SV but not the speed with which you have to apply it over wet polish. I'm not that quick now that I have a shaky left hand. Takes me forever to do a paint job.

Thanks to everyone for the discussion on top and base coats. This really helps!

Bonder works fine with CG, and okay with Zoya. I really don't want to go on a wild goose chase to find the one base/top that works with every brand of polish, mostly because I have two bottles of Bonder since I lost one, bought a new one, and then found it.

I need to thin out my topcoat, i'm pretty sure that using straight up acetone is a no no? Help?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 305  Next