| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan nail polish brands
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No worries, I totally understand, they're not unique they just look really good for stamping :)

Baps - I had a feeling that would be the case!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just saw this video on youtube about Julep polish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpuiqpW6KPA

This makes me really disappointed if true. One, the julep "team" promotes all their polishes as being vegan, and two, I'm wearing a red Julep polish as we speak. Sad face.

I've emailed the company to see if they can provide me with a list of their non-vegan polishes. Will update when I hear back!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That sucks, a lot. I've got a bunch of life related bullshiitake going on right now, but as soon as I can I'll be cancelling my Maven subscription.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

what the fizzle? I was told all Juleps were vegan too. I am rather angry. I need to cancel my subscription though since I always skip the boxes lately.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey all,

I heard back from Julep, they gave me the same answer as the lady in that youtube video:

Thank you for reaching back out to us. One of the great things about Julep is we have 4 Nail Parlors and amazing customers that let us test and try products on them all the time! Some of our products do contain animal derived ingredients (ei: milk and beeswax and etc.) Here are some products that are completely VEGAN: Facial for Hands Glycolic Hand Scrub, Our famous Julep Essential Cuticle Oil, Julep Polish Remover and any Non-Red nail polish. Another great thing our products are “4 Free”, we use NO paraben, NO sulphate phthalate, NO DBP, and they are tolene and formaldehyde free. We like to say, we took out all of the nasty carcinogens that are found in so many other products. Also, the Lip Vernis does not contain carmine or beeswax.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions or concerns and we would be more than happy to assist you. Until then, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

Caitlin Anderson

Julep Maven Team

So, looks like red Julep nail polish is NOT vegan. Kinda pissed that I bought and wore it thinking it was. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:50 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I am going to contact cs and see about replacing my 4-5 bottles of red julep polish. I am also finally canceling my subscription.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

So... I was curious and asked them if Julep's pink polishes were vegan. Here is the response:

"Thank you for reaching back out to us. Our pink polishes do contain some red pigment so we would not recommend using if you are vegan. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions or concerns and we would be more than happy to assist you. Until then, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!"

what the fizzle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i kinda wonder about purples...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Well this has just become a shiitake show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey again... More correspondence with Julep. I messaged them back after the pink polish response:

"Thanks again for writing back. I do feel a little deceived as I (and many other vegans) were led to believe that all Julep polishes were vegan. It is disappointing to have to get rid of my red and pink polishes. I do however love Julep polish and will still keep the rest of the colours as long as they are for sure vegan. Would it be possible to list on your website (or just an idea for the future) to list which polishes (or products) are and aren't vegan? Like Urban Decay does with their paw print logo (just an example). I would like to continue my Julep Maven subscription but don't know if I can, if I don't know which polishes I'm ordering are safe for me or not. Are there any other polishes besides the pink and red I should stay away from? Ingredients such as carmine, pearl, shellac, guanine, etc.....?"

Here was their response:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize that you have felt deceived. It was never our intention to make you feel this way. Julep is against animal cruelty but we are not considered a vegan line. We greatly appreciate your idea on adding a section on our website for vegan product options. Our customer service has forwarded your idea onto the correct department to possibly add this feature in the future for our Julep customers. Also we are looking to add all of our ingredients on our polish for future polish purchases. Again, we sincerely apologize for any frustrations."

So... they never answered my question as to whether other nail polish colours had animal ingredients. Very frustrating. Makes me wonder if any of their polishes are vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi guys, I decided to join after one of you commented on my video telling me about this board. Julep has unfortunately claimed to a lot of people, which is evident here that their entire product line was vegan. They won't even disclose an ingredient list as it's their "company secret." I was and am totally disgusted with them. They have tricked a lot of people into buying their products.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

This is why i'm automatically weary of any brand that isn't some kind of organic hippie brand (and even then, I start to think of beeswax) who comes out with 'all of our products are vegan!' Like, if they have a list of what is or isn't vegan, I know they've at least looked into it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So, if a product is made in China does that = animal testing? I know that if a product is sold there then it must have gone through testing and I just looked at BYS and their bottles say Made in China.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just answered this in the Estee Lauder thread, but I'll put it here too, my understanding is that the testing policy is only for foreign products imported into China, not for products made in China for export to foreign markets. I haven't heard otherwise from Peta or Leaping Bunny.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Coolio, so we're ok with BYS, at least for now :)

Also, do you if Ciate Velvet is vegan?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Did you get my response on facebook?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yep, thanks, hun!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:30 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Does anyone know if Topshop's polishes are vegan & cruelty free?

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 am 
Ninja Master

jojo wrote:
Does anyone know if Topshop's polishes are vegan & cruelty free?

Cruelty Free yes. Vegan I'm not sure. I asked them the question ages ago and there were not particularly helpful. They said that all stores should have an ingredients list in the store. However, the ingredients lists on the website all say 'may contain carmine'.

You'd have to email them about particular shades I think. When I asked about their eyeliners, they asked me for product code and then confirmed they have carmine in. I'll try emailing the people that mailed me back about the polishes and see what they say.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I use the elf brand, but im not a nail polish kinda girl thou

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:23 pm 

I've been meaning to post this, Leigh (raspberryswirl) contacted Natalie Dee about her new line of nail polish. I wasn't really surprised that she got the response she did, if you read Natalie's comics or follow her makeup blog you can probably sum up that she thinks veganism/cruelty-free is stupid. So it's technically vegan but i'd rather buy from someone who doesn't think i'm a moron.

Quote:
Hi, Leigh-

I updated the store to include a page with the ingredients:
superblacklacquers.com/pages/ingredients

I don't animal test, and the facility that supplies my chemical ingredients isn't a laboratory, so they don't have the infrastructure to animal test. However, the individual MSDSs for individual ingredients almost certainly had to do some form of testing in order to compile the information required by OSHA and governmental agencies. Every ingredient in every cosmetic has to have toxicity information and information about dangers individual ingredients would have on the environment in the event of a spill or runoff from factories, and it is nearly impossible to establish those values without some form of testing. If you follow the supply chain, there is animal testing for every ingredient, even water and olive oil, although if was probably by a contracted lab that is unaffiliated with the cosmetic brand or their manufacturers, and the testing happened 20-30 years ago. So, no, I don't animal test, and neither does the company that supplies commodities for my products, but I am sure that some form of testing happened in the past 20-30 years to supply the information for the MSDS and establish that the ingredient is safe for human use.

Thanks for writing-
ND

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Well, that explains this shitastic blog post. I wonder if Natalie Dee posted that after Leigh contacted her? Her husband may be a chemical engineer but that doesn't make her adept at logic. Circular reasoning, anyone?

I love the comics she and Drew make; just, if she's going to be a jerk, can she do it secretly so the rest of the internet can keep on enjoying her well-scripted fart jokes?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:25 am 

No, that was before. Leigh asked me if I had heard of them and I referenced that blog post as the reason why I was hesitant to even email her to ask about the ingredients and testing status. I'm sure she has no trouble selling her polish so if she doesn't feel the need to hide how she feels about this stuff to sell more polish, good on her I guess? If she doesn't think anything can be cruelty-free, then no, she probably shouldn't market her product as such.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I thought it was a good thing that she talked about how easily non cruelty-free companies can use the label, and that most companies contract with outside labs. But that could have been a "here's how to do your research" post instead of "you're just stupid if you care." Why on earth would it be bad thing to use products that are no longer tested on animals vs. those that still are?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

mrsbadmouth wrote:
it's technically vegan but i'd rather buy from someone who doesn't think i'm a moron.

This was my exact feeling after ND replied to me with the polite (I guess) but still slightly condescending email. There are plenty of other vegan nail polish companies who I can buy from that don't think my ethical beliefs are stupid. Or at least, they don't come out and say they do.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next