| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So...as of right now, all I have tried is Lush, which is new to me. One of the vegan moisturizers. Using it a week, so far so good! No breakouts. Going to start using the toner soon.

Still trying to get some Arbonne samples from my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

la vie sale wrote:
I am starting to think too that as long as you moisturize and clean it doesn't really matter what kind of skincare products you use, granted your skin has no issues with any products. I have easy skin, although dry. I have bought, and still do sometimes, expensive skincare products but have lately resorted to plain jojoba or calendula oil on face in the AM, then dab on some day cream, then liquid foundation. Makes my foundation go on very smoothly and I love the dewy rehydrated look and feel. Of course if your skin is oily this would be too much.

I agree with this, except I do think sunscreen is important. But other than that I've totally simplified my routine- just splash water on my face in the AM, then use Key's Soap Solar RX mixed with a bit of foundation, then dab on some extra cream on dry spots (right now using ShiKai 24-Hour Repair Cream), and put mineral foundation on top of all that. Then at night I cleanse with oils and moisturize with more oils of varying types.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Does anyone know about or have experience with the Yes To ______ brand? From what I can tell they are cruelty free (at least they have a CF logo on the packaging) and their website says that there are are a few products that have beeswax or honey in them, which are easy enough to steer around... I haven't researched who owns them, but everything else looks good and they have decent/comparable prices.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I like to use the Yes To wipes when I'm too lazy to actually wash my face. I've also used the lotion and conditioner. I think they work pretty well and they smell good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have tried some of the Yes To stuff... the blueberry (which is supposedly anti-aging) line smells like asscrack to me, so personally I would not recommend it. Actually, more like mildew and asscrack with a hint of blueberry. I didn't use any of it long enough to comment on the quality because of the smell. I have also tried some stuff from the cucumber line, which is much better. They're heavily scented, but if that doesn't bother you the scent is fairly pleasant. They're not the most moisturizing/amazing things under the sun, but they're OK, and I would say the face wipes are above average.

Anyway, back on the original topic. I've tried a few different products from Alba and have liked all of them, so I would say they're worth investigating. Most of the products are in the $10-$15 range so they're not crazily expensive either. I found this moisturizer in particular to be good as a night cream, but if that sounds too rich they have a bunch of other varieties as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yes To is now selling in China, so they are no longer cruelty-free.

http://www.logicalharmony.net/yes-to-ca ... z2EEj5laJa

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but get the leaping bunny app for your iphone and you will be able to check on brands. For my day face I like Beauty without Cruelty moisturizer with SPF. At night I soak my face in almond oil about an hour before bed. Drink lots of water and limit sun exposure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yes To is now selling in China, so they are no longer cruelty-free.

http://www.logicalharmony.net/yes-to-ca ... z2EEj5laJa

I didn't know that thanks! I used to use that brand and found it to be quite good. No more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

The Yes To stuff made me itch anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Guess I won't be getting any more of those cucumber wipes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:38 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The problem I keep running into (skin care, cosmetics, etc) is that they are cruelty free, but they are owned by a company that is not. I mean, the money goes into the pockets of the bad guys anyways, right?

It's a real struggle for me right now, recently discovering that many of my products I have been using for years, they are owned crassholes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I know, it's dis heartening. So tired of it. And it's such a confusing mess.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:49 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I need a solution to my clogged pores/blackheads. Something other than squeezing the shiitake out of my skin, which I know is horrible. I don't really get pimples (I happen to have one right now, but they are rare), but my pores on my nose are gross. I generally have oily skin. I know next to nothing about this stuff. Help?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ashley wrote:
I need a solution to my clogged pores/blackheads. Something other than squeezing the shiitake out of my skin, which I know is horrible. I don't really get pimples (I happen to have one right now, but they are rare), but my pores on my nose are gross. I generally have oily skin. I know next to nothing about this stuff. Help?

maybe try a salicylic acid product....i use peter thomas roth aha/bha acne gel. you leave those on, but maybe a scrub would work for you too. derma e has a few different exfoliators:) lots of products can clog pores, even of they are meant for oily skin...what do you normally use?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:24 pm 

Maybe go get a facial and have them extract your blackheads after they steam your face.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:50 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

sharky wrote:
ashley wrote:

maybe try a salicylic acid product....i use peter thomas roth aha/bha acne gel. you leave those on, but maybe a scrub would work for you too. derma e has a few different exfoliators:) lots of products can clog pores, even of they are meant for oily skin...what do you normally use?

i second the recommendation for salicylic acid treatments. the skin on and around my nose used to have a lot of large, clogged pores with angry raised edges, but about a year ago i added a moisturizer containing salicylic acid and occasional multi-acid exfoliation to my routine, and it's made a big difference. my skin isn't perfect, and i still have visible pores, but they aren't inflamed craters full of gunk like they used to be. i've noticed that my skin is less oily in general, too. i used to be able to see oil creeping up in my pores about 30 minutes after washing my face, but it almost never gets noticeably greasy now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm 

Thanks - I will look for something with salicylic acid. I guess I will wander over to Whole Foods and see what they have.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thirding salicylic acid for blackheads. I have always, always had issues with blackheads around my nose despite having dry-ish skin elsewhere. I know squeezing can be gross, but I've found that if you steam your face well first and use an extraction tool (this is the one I have) they tend to come out easier, and despite it being sort of gross it's cool to watch. Alba makes some salicylic acne stuff (this) and they don't animal test.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm 

Limone, coincidentally, I bought that exact Alba stuff yesterday! It happened to be the first salicylic acid product I picked up that said vegan on it, so I bought it. I got that face wash and a face cream from the same line. Just used it for the first time this morning. The cream felt a little burny going on, but my face seems to be tolerating it now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i tried the alba stuff and it was way too strong...i am acne/clog prone and very oily. the cleanser is too strong for me except to use once in a while, and the toner tore up my skin. have not tried the spot treatment. you might be better off with something that is meant to cover the entire face. devita has pads with 3% salicylic acid, iherb.com has them at a discounted price...they also carry andalou naturals(has a spot treatment that could probably be used all over), desert essence, mychelle, and derma e(spot treatment is gooey and has a very strong tea tree scent). there's also REN, boscia, and peter thomas roth.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I only tried the Alba gel, not the other products, so I can't comment on all of them. I will say that I don't know how often you use salicylic acid, but I've found that daily use is too much and can rough up my skin. For me every 2-3 days works. Of course your results will vary depending on your skin type and a number of other factors. There's so much trial and error with this stuff, because even if a product has glowing reviews everyone's skin is different. :/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've found that SA cleansers are too much, but lotions with SA in them or wipes/gels that i can apply before or under my moisturizer are all right for once-daily use (i use a different, lighter moisturizer in the morning and the salicylic acid at night). but, yeah, it takes some fiddling and adjusting based on your skin's reaction, and the same product can have a different effect over time. i wouldn't recommend using more than one anti-acne product at a time right away, ashley, especially if you aren't prone to breakouts. overdoing it on an all-over treatment could help with the blackheads but cause other problems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I also recently had the I'm in my 30s and need to take care of my skin realization.

I bought some Paula's Choice retinol cream a couple of days ago (the one in the maroon tube) and am a fan, so far. It is a bit drying, but does make my skin look better if I moisturize well the morning after using it. I also like the BWC vitamin C and coq10 cream, it stings a little but is very moisturizing. I alternate those each night after I shower and follow them with jojoba oil for more moisture.

Paula's Choice seems like a pretty decent brand, vegan-wise. They don't test or commission tests and all but a handful of products are vegan (and those that aren't are listed on their website with the specific non-vegan ingredients highlighted. But two of them use shark fin, which is pretty terrible).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am 

I just love my argan oil for moisturizer. And makes my foundation go on smooooth like buttah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I started using the Avalon Organics Vitamin C moisturizer and it's giving me some pimples on my cheekbones. And it's SO THICK! It feels heavy and coats my face when I put it on. I'm gonna use it up, but I don't think I'll repurchase.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next