| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Unstoppable Thread of Vegan Shoe Coveting
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am 
Huffs Nooch

irgendwas wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Can anyone suggest some good men's dress shoes that stand up to lots of wear? My husband is on his feet a lot at work and I swear his shoes just fall to pieces. The last pair only lasted maybe 2 months! Looking for affordable, but willing to pay a bit more if they are really durable!

I can recommend the Cambridge Shoe by Vegetarian Shoes, which I own by myself. The price may be rather high, but these shoes are Goodyear welted insted of being glued together like most cheaper footwear. While the welted construction makes the shoes quite heavy and stiff, it allows for comfort when broken in and an excellent repairability.
With its captoe Oxford design and a typical English last, the Cambridge Shoe looks very classic and understated, although it might be a bit too conservative for some.
I strongly advise polishing the shoes for a better look and kepping shoes trees in them.

Those shoes bring back the memories. My mum (who was an ardent omni) actually went all the way to Brighton to buy me a pair of these to wear at my wedding because she thought my other shoes weren't formal enough. I have to admit I didn't like them & pretended to lose them so I didn't have to wear them! They've been gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere since 2001.

Back on topic, I really recommend the Kent Klark shoes http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/mens___unisex_shoes/kent_klark_shoe_black/11176_p.html - like all VS stuff not cheap but extremely well made & last years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

creep! my one month late reply. i'm totally fine w/ trying on the leather ones and then buying the synthetics, re: docs.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 am 
Baking In The Flavor

any New Rock fans?

http://www.newrock.com/newsletters/vegan/vegan.html

i have a vegan pair already, but they only had 2 styles available:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

wow New Rock has vegan styles now? !5 years ago I would have sold my front teeth for a pair!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

they just had 2 or 3 styles starting maybe 3-4 years ago...but now i will be so broke lol!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

So, it looks like it's finally time to trade in my trusty three-season boots. I got them in Fall of 2010 and they're beginning to look pretty worn. 2.5 years is an okay life for shoes, especially since I live in a city and walk everywhere. But I'm willing to shell out a bit of money to find a pair of boots that will last even longer. (By the way, by old boots were these, by Jambu: http://www.planetshoes.com/item/jambu-c ... egan/10169).

I'd be willing to spend a fair amount, since my boots get a ton of wear and I prefer to buy one really nice pair of boots rather than a few pretty good pairs. So I was looking online at the luxury brands, like Olsenhaus, etcetera. But I just can't find what I'm looking for! I want a pair of flat boots, black or brown, hopefully that will accommodate my (fairly) narrow calves, that are really high quality (rubber/wood soles, etc). I like the look of Born boots, only, you know, without the leather.

Really appreciate any recommendations!

eta: I should note that "spend a fair amount" for me means like $150, more or less (not $400).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Nouns--I am a huge fan of Madden Girl boots. I have a knee-high pair I got when I lived in Chicago, and I've had them for four years. I had them resoled once, but otherwise they remain in great shape. I don't wear them every day, but I do wear them often. The style I have no longer is made, but these are similar: http://www.zappos.com/madden-girl-zerge-cognac

Novacas--a really high quality brand--has a nice pair: http://www.mooshoes.com/index.php?produ ... &color=Brn
Beyond Skin has a nice-looking faux suede pair: http://www.beyondskin.co.uk/pandora-bla ... tretch-590
I don't know much about Rocket Dog, but these look nice: http://www.zappos.com/rocket-dog-gretta-black

Mooshoes also still has a lot of sizes in your Jambus if you want another pair of those.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Can anyone reccomend a pair of steel-toe work boots? I need them for the once-weekly practicals in my class, so they wont get super heavy use, but I'm hoping to get something that could potentially last my entire 3 year degree. I'm happy to spend a bit on them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:44 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

molasses jane wrote:
Nouns...
I don't know much about Rocket Dog, but these look nice: http://www.zappos.com/rocket-dog-gretta-black

I just bought these last week! Obviously I can't speak to how they hold up over time, but I think they look pretty good in person, especially for being only 80 bucks. They are slip on, and a liiiiiitle bit loose in the foot area, but not enough to be causing me blisters (although I did put cushy insoles in them).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm 

skinnydaisy wrote:
molasses jane wrote:
Nouns...

I just bought these last week! Obviously I can't speak to how they hold up over time, but I think they look pretty good in person, especially for being only 80 bucks. They are slip on, and a liiiiiitle bit loose in the foot area, but not enough to be causing me blisters (although I did put cushy insoles in them).

I almost got these! How does the calf fit? I have bigger legs, so I usually stay away from boots like this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ndpittman, I have big-ish calves compared to the rest of my legs and thick ankles (but I don't have a tape measure to figure out just how big), and I have plenty of room to wear jeans + thick socks tucked in to the boots. I'm 5'2" and have them in a size 7.5 if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm 

skinnydaisy wrote:
ndpittman, I have big-ish calves compared to the rest of my legs and thick ankles (but I don't have a tape measure to figure out just how big), and I have plenty of room to wear jeans + thick socks tucked in to the boots. I'm 5'2" and have them in a size 7.5 if that helps.

It does except that now I want them even more!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molasses jane wrote:

I have a pair of Rocket Dog heels (these guys) and I've been pretty happy with them. Quality seems good, and I find them pretty comfortable. I wear heels most days and they're one of my lowest pairs so I'm probably not a great judge of what most people would find comfortable, but still. I've had them for over a year and I wear them pretty often and they're still in great shape.

I'm trying to save money which means not buying stuff I don't need, but it's hard you guys. I really want these:

Even though I hardly ever wear flats so I really have no need for novelty pairs. If shipping from Modcloth weren't so annoying, I would have snapped and bought these in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So cute!

But yeah, Modcloth. I'm ignoring its existence now. It's not their fault but the custom charges & UPS handling fees are over the top. I ordered a dress in their sale last summer, it cost $43 including shipping. I got a slip in the mail saying there was a € 30 import and handling charge. Umm, yeah, no.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The returns are the worst part for me! I have a stack of Modcloth stuff at home that I need to sell or something because it didn't fit, but it costs more to post it back than I would get as a store credit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

Aldo and Call It Spring have become my favorite places for shoes. I appreciate those handy little stickers they put on their shoes to let you know what sources the materials are from (H&M does this too). It's pretty nice that these places have gotten more accustomed to providing vegan options.

Aldo:

Call It Spring:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

what do you guys think of these? I needed new shoes for my new job that look nice, but are comfy and i can still wear socks with. (ps, the amazon link says leather, but the skechers website assures me they are faux leather.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1Z ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:00 am 
WRETCHED

I like them IDJI. I used to wear skechers oxfords all the time to work, although I got out of the habit somehow long before becoming vegan (I don't remember if what I wore was leather or not).

And depending how fast you need them, Amazon tends to be faster but Shoebuy has a 20% off sale right now
http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-moon-gl ... 93/1243949

their shipping is fairly slow so I'd give it a week or slightly more to get them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks! I've been wanting oxfords for a while, but haven't bought any before now.
20% off the already super cheap price is awesome! I already ordered them on amazon and I start on March 4th, so it's probably better that I did that, but that's an awesome sale.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Olsenhaus on MyHabit (Amazon sale site). I'm drooling. Wish I could get something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I like the purple line detail!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kelly wrote:
I like the purple line detail!

Same. Love little touches like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

JimXVX wrote:
irgendwas wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Can anyone suggest some good men's dress shoes that stand up to lots of wear? My husband is on his feet a lot at work and I swear his shoes just fall to pieces. The last pair only lasted maybe 2 months! Looking for affordable, but willing to pay a bit more if they are really durable!

I can recommend the Cambridge Shoe by Vegetarian Shoes, which I own by myself. The price may be rather high, but these shoes are Goodyear welted insted of being glued together like most cheaper footwear. While the welted construction makes the shoes quite heavy and stiff, it allows for comfort when broken in and an excellent repairability.
With its captoe Oxford design and a typical English last, the Cambridge Shoe looks very classic and understated, although it might be a bit too conservative for some.
I strongly advise polishing the shoes for a better look and kepping shoes trees in them.

Those shoes bring back the memories. My mum (who was an ardent omni) actually went all the way to Brighton to buy me a pair of these to wear at my wedding because she thought my other shoes weren't formal enough. I have to admit I didn't like them & pretended to lose them so I didn't have to wear them! They've been gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere since 2001.

Back on topic, I really recommend the Kent Klark shoes http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/mens___unisex_shoes/kent_klark_shoe_black/11176_p.html - like all VS stuff not cheap but extremely well made & last years.

As far as as I know, the higher formality of closed lacing is an especially British issue. In my hometown of Vienna, Oxford shoes are uncommon in comparison to Derbies (which have open lacing). In historic photographs from the first half of the 20th century, black captoe Oxfords (or Balmoral boots) seem to be the usual footwear worn with city suits or morning dress.

The Kent Klark shoes are not my taste. I really don't understand the appeal of a square toe and those two prominent seams.

By the way, it's sad that Vegetarian Shoes' range of welted footwear only consists of black Oxfords and chunky Airseal boots/shoes. I've already sent them an e-mail about this issue. As NPS already produces various styles of Goodyear welted shoes, making a non-leather version of these shoes probably wouldn't be too difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

What shoes would you guys wear for travelling Europe for 2 weeks? I want something super comfy but stylish and versatile so I can just wear those and not bring anything else (we're backpacking).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 am 
WRETCHED

I'll say from my experience, wear something with a good sole, if you can hike rocky areas with it, you can walk with it in europe. A lot of cobblestones killed my feet in Greece when I went and I ended up buying a pair of sneakers there when I went. I can't think of anything specific but I think a good pair of walking shoes will do you good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 50  Next