| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tell me about buying bed sheets!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

smoothie wrote:
i love love love love love bed sheets! i have a serious love for cotton sateen (not the shiny kind, the really soft and heavy sateen woven kind!)

if you get decent quality sheets they will get softer and even more amazing with time. i don't tumble dry mine very often, but i do iron them pretty often. crisp, fresh, newly ironed sheets are the best. which reminds me, i really should put that bed linen i've been lusting over for a year on my christmas wishlist..

I guess I am no longer the thread sheet fanatic! Even I can't imagine actually ironing my sheets, lovely as it sounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:30 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I've always got good quality sheet bargains at TJ Maxx, and they usually have separate fitted sheets to buy. Over the years, I've found it's worth only buying pure cotton (rather than polycotton) and 300 count for comfort.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

Nicole wrote:
I have jersey ones (like tshirt material) from bed bath & beyond that I love.

ETA:
These: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 136&RN=16&

Yes YES! Get these now! I just bought sheets in dark blue and pillowcases in green. Even though I knew I wanted these (I had a set years ago), I still had to shop in person. The colors look better and you get to touch everything.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mel c wrote:
The best way is to just feel the samples swatches they have at the store or open the package up enough to sneak a few fingers through.

That's what she said?

I just bought some super cute one's from my friends shop. I find cotton best, but it's a preference thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

I like bamboo ones, too. They're cheap, considering, and best of all they never pill. It's the pilling I hate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Jersey sheets are the worst! I have long hair and they are the ultimate hair trappers. I had to throw out the (nice) ones I had because of hair getting stuck in them. Blech!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

seitanicverses wrote:
I like bamboo ones, too. They're cheap, considering, and best of all they never pill. It's the pilling I hate.

Pilling is the worst! I finally threw one out that was all pilled because it was driving me bonkers. Still need to buy some more damn sheet though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

chatter710 wrote:
Nicole wrote:

ETA:

Yes YES! Get these now! I just bought sheets in dark blue and pillowcases in green. Even though I knew I wanted these (I had a set years ago), I still had to shop in person. The colors look better and you get to touch everything.

Sheet twin! I have a set of dark blue and a set of green too. I love these sheets so much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I can't afford really pricy sheets right now either, but I really like the organic ones from Target. They are a bit sateen and seem to hold up well.

Sadly, I have to change my sheets fairly often because of crumbs. Ha ha ha ha ... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Target has the organic cotton ones on sale this week. The advertised price was $32 for a full set, so I'm sure the rest are on sale. In fact, I plan on getting a couple more sets later this week since all my sheets are starting to wear out after years of use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I did some serious comparison shopping one day, going to 3 different outlet shops (Ross, Nordstrom rack, ect) as well as Target. I discovered I couldn't find anything nice for less than $40...so just expect to pay that. I settled on Costco, 400 CT sheets for $49. I LOVE them. I'm not sure which brand it was, but I know they have them at Costco in California.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

make sure it's cotton or maybe bamboo - my husband was all proud of himself for buying high thread count sheets but they were some weird material so they felt gross.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:52 am 
Saggy Butt

fatcat wrote:
Target has the organic cotton ones on sale this week. The advertised price was $32 for a full set, so I'm sure the rest are on sale. In fact, I plan on getting a couple more sets later this week since all my sheets are starting to wear out after years of use.

If sheets wear out it tends to be in the middle, not the edges which have been tucked under the mattress. So you can cut the sheet in half lengthwise, turn the edges to the middle and sew it back together. Doubles the life of your sheets.
Not sure how well this works on double sheets as the wear on those will be different from singles.
And I suppose it wouldn't work on fitted sheets either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nicole wrote:

ETA:

I have like 5 sets of these in black and red. They're awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:25 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lavawitch wrote:
Jersey sheets are the worst! I have long hair and they are the ultimate hair trappers. I had to throw out the (nice) ones I had because of hair getting stuck in them. Blech!

That's crazy! My bed seems the only place that my hair *isn't* all over, and I have super long and super thick hair. It does collect dog and cat hair, but what doesn't really?

JerseySheets4life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I love my jersey sheets! So cool and comfortable in the summer. I'm a once-a-week sheet changer, that's about as long as I can go without feeling icky about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 am 
WELFARIST!

I like jersey sheets too. Soft and comfy. I also love nice flannel sheets, like a grandma. I actually need to add another set or two of bedsheets into my rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have actually managed to find some really amazing sheets at second hand stores. this one duvet cover is SO SOFT, i can't believe it. it is pale yellow and white striped. another duvet cover is blue and white striped, and just regular heavy cotton. it seems barely used. and i paid $3 per duvet cover and $1 for pillow covers.
and got a few sets of IKEA children's bedding.. i love the design of them (hello, frogs, circus and stars!), but i think they are going to be handed over to my niece pretty soon. i am not too fond of the material.. the cotton gets all coarse after a few washes. also, some guys find it creepy that i have children's bedding.. haha.

anyway, it might be worth checking out 2nd hand stores! my friend made some pretty amazing sheet buys at the same store as i found mine, so maybe we just found the holy grail of sheet shopping!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm 
Chip Strong

I have no advice (I've had the same sheets forever, I don't know where they came from) but I wanted to say that I feel a lot less alone now that I know others also don't use the top sheet. People always tell me I'm crazy/weird for not liking it, but it just ends up kicked around in a mess at the bottom of my bed/on the floor and I find it more trouble than it's worth.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

Khols always has 600 - 800 thread count sheets by sonoma for $20 - 40 at the black Friday sales. So if you can swing it and put up with 4 - 5 am shopping, that's where I always get mine. They are the BEST sheets ever. I use flannel in the winter and the sonoma sheets in the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I almost always get my sheets at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. The ones I got most recently were about $40 and are the most luxurious-feeling sheets I've ever had! Unfortunately, I threw out the packaging before I realized how great they are, so I don't know a brand. Otherwise, I'd be stocking up on these things like crazy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I bought my last sheets through overstock.com. I hate to spend a lot of money since I have two big dogs and one of them likes to make holes in the sheets. The ones I have are pretty sturdy so I just sewed them up. I have to buy king size so they can get pretty pricey. I think I paid $40.00 for the set on overstock. Anyway I love clean sheets too but only change mine once a week but twice a week sounds really good. I am very energy conscience so that is the only thing stopping me from washing them more often. What I really needs are fitted bottoms only but they are very hard to find.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am all about nice sheets. Nice natural fibers, nothing below 300 thread count, a cute or interesting pattern, will fit over a deep mattress, and preferably cotton sateen. Not the easiest combination to find. I happen to have ordered all of my favorite sheets from garnethill.com. Unfortunately it is far from the cheapest place to buy sheets, but I've learned to hold out for sales and coupons. I've purchased several sets of cheap sheets and have regretted all of them. They pill or they're scratchy. My lovely sateen sheets do neither of those things, and they last me years and years.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

I only buy bamboo sheets. Since I bought my first set 2 years ago bamboo sheets are the only sheets for me. If you've never felt bamboo fabric you can request a free sample swatch from http://www.greenearthbamboo.com/100-Bam ... ds0001.htm. They are 250 thread count, but feel like silk!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've been very happy with the sheets I got at Costco. They're comfortable and wear well. I have a pet peeve about sheets that will barely fit over the mattress, and these are generously sized, which is a plus.