| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: A thread about LUSH!
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i'm reading everything in the world on the LUSH website about face stuff now. does anyone well-versed in the LUSH lineup have an opinion on what i should aim for/avoid if i...

have acne, but am seeing a dermatologist & using tretinoin 2x per day (retin-A cream/gel). he wants me to use a mild cleanser (he recommended cetaphil but it's Not Vegan so i have been using earth science A-D-E cleanser instead, with good results). i've been on this track for a couple of years now, and generally it's been okay except that when the seasons change i sometimes have flare-ups and/or my skin gets flaky and i have to use a thicker moisturizer. also i had to go off birth control recently, which i believe caused a flare-up, so i hate my face lately but i think/hope it's getting better again. anyhow: my ground rules are basically to use something gentle, *not* something "for acne" or for "for oily skin." is angels on bare skin a 2x daily kind of cleanser? or more of an occasional scrub? i keep reading testimonials that make it sound like it solves every problem a face might have but i fear i am succumbing to internet excitement. i was also reading reviews for fresh farmacy and some of them sounded great, but then i hit a whole bunch that complained of dryness and i for sure don't need that.

for moisturizer, sometimes i use earth science almond & aloe (which is fairly light), but lately (last several months) i have needed to use the stronger tretinoin (which is more drying) so i have been using a heavier moisturizer, origins starting over. i'm looking at imperialis, celestial, skin drink, and they all look good, heh. i can get a bit shiny, which makes me want to try enzymion, but i also do need the moisture with my medication so i should probably avoid that one? i fail at LUSH guessing.

the only LUSH stuff i buy regularly is the lip balm and the ultrabalm, and the occasional massage bar, so i'm not in there super often and i worry about asking for a boatload of samples, but i also hate to buy full-size stuff only to realize 3 days later that it's tOtally not going to work for me.

so any insight would be super appreciated! i know some of you are really good at this stuff. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The imperialis is super light, definitely lighter than the Earth Science Almond and Aloe. Celestial is a bit heavier, and I've never used skin drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just use a tiny bit of Celestial (and I mean tiny!) and it moisturizes without any shiny or dryness. It's kind of a bargain! But bluedawg, there is no harm in asking for some samples, even if you have to brave the Lush sharks to get them.

Also, henna DOES rule. I've been dyeing my hair red since I was 14 and this first henna application is the nicest colour I've ever had.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 am 

I have henna in my hair right now! It's like smearing your head with mud. I dyed my hair red for a long time and loved it but I was so tired of how damaged my hair was and I felt like I was killing my brain cells with the chemicals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I went to a store today and bought fresh farmacy and tea tree water. Can't wait to try them tomorrow night when I get back home. I also got samples of two face moisturizers and Turkish Delight body wash. They didn't use to give out samples here before, but now they've started to and I was overly exited about getting these small bottles of free stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:26 pm 

After two hours my hair is barely red! My hair is naturally darkish blonde, so it shouldn't be too dark to show up. The instructions say the color develops over a few days--any chance it will get redder?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

strawberryrock wrote:
After two hours my hair is barely red! My hair is naturally darkish blonde, so it shouldn't be too dark to show up. The instructions say the color develops over a few days--any chance it will get redder?

i have naturally blonde hair, and it was only kind of orange after i first dyed it. i dyed it again the next day, left it on for four hours, and it became a deep red.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:35 pm 

It's totally gotten a little redder since I posted, but I think I will dye it again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Did you cover your head with plastic? The helps redden it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 pm 

I put on a shower cap I already had, I didn't do plastic wrap. It's orangish now, I want it to be darker though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I left mine in for 11 hours, covered by plastic wrap, and it's super red. My hair is naturally darkish blonde too, but it was (chemically) black beforehand. Dye again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I went to Lush today and got a sample of enzymion. As a very oily bird I like it so so much! But $40 is so expensive for moisturizer....I think I'm going to have to take some time to convince myself to buy a pot.

I bought the Guv'ner deodorant and so far, so good! I'm super sweaty/stinky (even Mitchum barely works on me!) but I tried it out tonight and it works at least as well as MItchum. A little messy to apply; maybe that will improve over time. I still sweat a bit but there was no smell -- a plus in my book.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:
I just use a tiny bit of Celestial (and I mean tiny!) and it moisturizes without any shiny or dryness. It's kind of a bargain!

Agreed! You need like less than a finger dab of moisturizer from it, I really doubt it's actually more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I went to Lush yesterday on a whim and splurged on a few things that I absolutely love! :) I got the Sympathy for the Skin lotion and it is so moisturizing and awesome. I find that my legs get really dry after shaving them and this moisturizer really helps! I also got the Grass shower gel which I haven't used yet. And the Sweet Lips lip scrub which really helps my lips not get chapped!

I have a question about the Buffy bar - I love exfoliating bars of soap and this one has such a great scrub on it, I can feel my dead skin scrubbing off! I just don't know if I'm using it properly ... I bought the larger bar of soap (which was like $22!) and I find that it is being used up really quickly...is this normal? I'm using it in the shower and I read that you are supposed to use it after you clean yourself normally with soap... after scrubbing my arms and legs with it, I used up like...1/4 of the bar! Am I doing something wrong? I really like it but this could get very expensive if I continued to keep buying like...a bar a week!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

loolie wrote:
I went to Lush yesterday on a whim and splurged on a few things that I absolutely love! :) I got the Sympathy for the Skin lotion and it is so moisturizing and awesome. I find that my legs get really dry after shaving them and this moisturizer really helps! I also got the Grass shower gel which I haven't used yet. And the Sweet Lips lip scrub which really helps my lips not get chapped!

I have a question about the Buffy bar - I love exfoliating bars of soap and this one has such a great scrub on it, I can feel my dead skin scrubbing off! I just don't know if I'm using it properly ... I bought the larger bar of soap (which was like $22!) and I find that it is being used up really quickly...is this normal? I'm using it in the shower and I read that you are supposed to use it after you clean yourself normally with soap... after scrubbing my arms and legs with it, I used up like...1/4 of the bar! Am I doing something wrong? I really like it but this could get very expensive if I continued to keep buying like...a bar a week!

Did you use it under running water? If so, try not to next time since the water will make it run away for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i think i'm going to go to LUSH tomorrow and see if they have any insight into potential face cleansers/moisturizers i should try. fingers crossed for samples so i don't have to learn the super-expensive way!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

pannkakan wrote:
Did you use it under running water? If so, try not to next time since the water will make it run away for you.

I did at first...and then I tried to stay out of direct running water in the shower the second time. It worked a bit better that time. Do I put it under the water before using it, or do I just use it on my skin that is wet from being in the shower? thanks !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah that's definitely very fast! I've used it all over my body everyday for about three weeks and it's like 3/4 still there. I never get the bar wet, I keep it out of the shower. That should help! It's sooo great. I can't believe what it's done for my arms.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I should say I keep it out of the shower when I'm not showering to clarify

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was annoyed to find out that they closed all the Macy's locations in my state. Now there is only one store at the Mall of America.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i am back from LUSH with many items. for cleanser, i bought 9 to 5 (wasn't even on my list when i walked in, but they convinced me) and i also got a sample of angels on bare skin to play around with.

for moisturizer, i went with imperialis, and they also gave me a sample of enzymion.

aaaand i bought a toner (eau roma) even though i feel like i was told years ago that toners are totally useless. i fell for it, whatevs.

they wanted me to wash my face in the store(!) so i could try everything, but i was like, uhhhh, noooo, i don't think i'm up for that today... so we did inner arm facials instead. ;) on one arm we did AOBS and celestial, on the other we did 9 to 5, eau roma, and imperialis. the back of one of my hands also tried enzymion. i smell pretty good right now.

they assured me that i could try everything (they encouraged me to wait 2-3 weeks to really be sure) and that if it's not working i can bring it back. i hope it all just works because that's easiest, but if not i hope i have the guts to bring it back. i always feel guilty trying to return something i used, especially if i use it that long. but she said, so...

anyhow, i got out of there for less than $50 and got two pretty generous samples so i guess that's not too awful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Exciting! I went in yesterday with a friend. She loaded up and I limited myself to the million kisses lip tint.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:02 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

bluedawg, that's v weird! I can't imagine asking someone to wash their face in the shop.
I totally would have recommended 9-5 too, though, and sampled Angels. It's a miracle-worker but if you're taking any meds for your skin it can be much more reactive and it's worth you trying out your scrub to check it is okay.

I probably wouldn't have recommended Enzymion just because we tend to find the lemon can be a bit strong on acne-prone skin, but it is amazing stuff. It's a bestseller for our black customers for the combination of shine-busting lemon and cocoa butter to stop ashiness.

loolie, just use it on wet skin and then put the bar down before you rinse off the scrub. Hot water will melt the bar faster. It helps to remember there's no soap or lathering agent in there, so you don't need to add any water during the scrubbing process to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 am 
Ninja Master

vijita wrote:
Oh and T For Toes is amazing. I hate having sweaty feet at work, but I'm on my feet all day and work at a farm so it was inevitable. A tiny bit of that powder obliterates my stinky and sweaty feet problem.

HUGE thank you for bringing this to my attention! It is a miracle powder!

I had 2 days of training in closed shoes with no socks and this stuff stopped my feet being sweaty and my new shoes smelling mingin! Awesome stuff.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

thanks for weighing in, cornflowers! that helps validate my purchases. i've been using everything since monday night (9 to 5, eau roma, imperialis) and so far, so good, i think... it's a little weird to get used to 9 to 5 because you put it on dry skin... so figuring out how much to use, how long to rub it into my skin, and how much rinsing is needed has been a little dodgy, but i guess it will seem normal eventually.

i really want to give aobs a shot too, but i was using a little self-restraint so i wasn't using too many new things at once. maybe this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 42  Next