| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: generic clarisonic brushes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I bought a Clarisonic Mia like a year and a half ago before I realized they were owned by L'Oreal, and I've bought refill brushes since but kind of hate myself for it. I love the damn thing though, and really don't want to switch to another device, at least as long as this one is still working, so I was wondering if anyone had tried any of the many off brand refill brushes on Amazon or ebay? I figure brushes that are the internet equivalent to "discount TV 'fell off the back of the truck'" are probably not tested, so I thought I'd see if anyone had experience with them, and if there's a brand/seller you can rec. I'm currently using the delicate brush heads, but my skin has normalized a lot lately, so an equivalent to the sensitive ones would probably be fine too.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Post subject: Re: generic clarisonic brushes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't know the brand but I bought some from groupon and I can't tell the difference. I did not know they were owned by l'oreal either. Bummer.

ETA- they are the delicate ones too

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

add me to the didn't know list. i bought some off ebay (delicate ones too) and they work just fine. in fact, the one on now has been there forever and isn't showing wear, unlike the actual mia brushes that seemed to show wear visibly.

ETA- i don't know the mfr but think i bought the cheapest ones, because i got a whole bunch thinking they would wear as quickly as the mia ones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am 
Naked Under Apron

wow this is timely 'cause I just bought a 4pack of the generic ones on Amazon! I've bought them before and can't really tell the difference either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

man - you learn something new everyday. if you do find a brush replacement let me know. i use my mia daily. :/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to do some exploratory shopping, and when I order and try them out I'll report back.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:19 am 
Tofu Pup

well shiitake I didn't know they were owned by L'Oreal that really bums me out. I just bought a 4 pack in December so I won't need new ones until the end of the year but I look forward to hearing more about the brushes you get.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do they make generic Clarisonics? Because now I know I can't buy one again my will inevitably break soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i did research that when i was buying mine- there were some that looked the same but i have no idea whether they use the same mechanism or actually work well. i did notice that the non-chinese-ebay ones i saw (like loreal made one, for example) was called an exfoliating brush, and didn't say anything about ultrasound.
i don't pretend to know how it works, but i do know it is the first thing that has ever helped my skin, so i am also a bit afraid to think about what happens when it bites the dust. we already had to fix it once. (and when we took it apart, there wasnt anything magical inside, just the normal small circuit board and turny mechanism)
you might want to look here
http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty- ... -offs.aspx

PS- a lot of people in that thread just say "i use a washcloth and my skin is just as good"-- i wish i could agree but for me there is something that the clarisonic does that i could never get from a washcloth or anything else- i was getting monthly facials for blackhead removals for a while there, and the clarisonic gives better results without the irritation and bee-sting appearance that i always had for a day or two after.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have no idea how well they work in comparison, but these should be cruelty free

Conair is on Peta's do not test list http://www.conair.com/true-glow-sup-sup ... -1480.html (I've seen it $20 cheaper on average on other sites, just a heads up) I honestly might buy this to try it out when I have some spare cash, $80 isn't terrible. If I do, I'll report back.

I saw a review of this one of a cruelty free beauty blog awhile back, and the about us says they don't test, though you might want to get more info to be sure http://www.michaeltoddusa.com/soniclear ... clear.html

I saw the Foreo Luna listed as cruelty-free here http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/makeup/ ... uty-tools/ , but Logical Harmony has them on her list of brands to avoid, so that's one, if I were interested, I'd look into the company further myself.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks torque and jess!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

I don't know much about Clarisonic replacement brushes, but I just wanted to explain why Foreo is on my cruelty-free list (and why Clarisonic is not). Foreo is a swedish company (there are tighter animal testing laws in the EU) that ONLY makes beauty tools. This means that even if their products are sold in China, they don't undergo any animal testing. Only what falls under the "cosmetics" umbrella is subjected to the mandatory tests according to Chinese law. Clarisonic on the other hand make their own facial cleansers, i.e. cosmetics which are sold in China.

I've heard positive things about Michael Todd too btw, and they don't test. Their stuff is sold in Hong Kong but not the rest of China.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ooh! Thanks for stopping by and clarifying on that!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:33 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i switched out my last clarisonic brush for the amazon one. i have used it a few times. they feel a lot less firm than the clarisonic ones and they stain easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I forgot to share my experience, the ones I ordered off Amazon were like, more dense? I'm not sure what the deal was, but they didn't seem to vibrate very well, and I broke out a bunch. I went ahead and ordered the Foreo Luna mini, it got here yesterday and I'll be trying it today, but I'm hopeful.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:38 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

that sucks about the brushes....