| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JCrew Factory Sizing?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:52 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I wear an 18x/1x in tops from Lands End. The bust measurement is the same for both Lands End and the JCrew factory outlet online, according to their size charts, at least.

I am apple-shaped, and my stomach and hips have nearly the same measurements. I also have fairly broad shoulders. I haven't a JCrew location nearby to try items on. Does anyone have any experience with JCrew sizing? Do you find it to be generous or smaller than other brands?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: JCrew Factory Sizing?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I haven't bought anything Jcrew in a long time, but always found them to run small. The factory stuff can be really wacky size wise: three size 12 skirts of the exact same style will be different and you have to try a few to make sure. Or that could just be the traveling "outlet" that they would bring to the university I was at.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks, lavawitch. This is just what I was hoping to hear... I'm going to hold off on ordering anything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What is their return policy like? The site I buy from most has free shipping and free returns that get processed very quickly, so I'm not longer too hesitant about sizing. Usually it works out, but I'm not out anything if I must send the odd item back.

I've noticed that Lauren has size 18 in a lot of styles now. The plus line also starts at 14W, so there is some sizing overlap, but cut more generously in the hips, etc. If you are looking for business casual kind of stuff, you could try there. They have good sales often enough it's worth adding stuff to a wish list and checking back. I was keeping an eye on a $300 dress and just got got it for $89 a few weeks ago.

Of course, I'm just biased because I hate shopping and have a huge soft spot for the fact that RL was one of the first quality, nice, readily available, plus size lines. No muumuu crepe, just the same clothes cut for curvier bodies.

I'm fairly hippy, but most RL jeans and pants are cut too full for me because I have a fairly defined waist so they could work for you. I'm more of a weird pinched-in rectangle than an apple.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

For me, J. Crew and J. Crew Factory have been running large (i.e. vanity sizing) lately. The only exception I've found is chino shorts--in those I was able to get the size I'd expect to be in other stores, but in everything else, especially tops, things have run large.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:08 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Their return policy between 30-60 days dependent upon where items were purchased, so that is good. I have a hate-love relationship with online purchasing. The convenience is great, but I wish it were possible to try things on prior to purchase, instead of going through the returns process.

Good to hear that things are running large--I might stand a chance ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've found the sizing is pretty standard, BUT their skirt lengths tend to be short. I expect it from Forever 21, but always thought of J Crew as grown-up (office appropriate) clothes. If I'm spending $100+ on a sheath dress, it shouldn't be hitting mid-thigh. Sorry, rant over!

I also believe you can return Factory online purchases to the regular stores, if that makes any difference.