| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 03, 2015 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Granny Hair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

You know that blond streak in my hair - it is mostly grey, no biggie. I still bleach my roots and dye the rest of my hair (dark brown from dull black). However I would like the bleached part too look less yellow to blend with the grey. I usually use a 40 developer kit and then use the toner that comes with the box. it only takes a bit of the brassy color out.
Anyone know of a violet toner that works well? Has anyone used Manic Panic Virgin snow with success? I am more of a DIY type - I do not like people touching my hair (I am very tender headed)...

Post subject: Re: Granny Hair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have used the MP Virgin Snow with good success. It makes my hair look white. I use 40 volume peroxide first - my natural color is dark blond with about 20% grey now though probably less last time I did virgin snow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am trying to google and I found this: http://www.storenvy.com/products/100669 ... ors-not-te
I have been thinking about going back to platinum but my old go to isn't vegan (wella).
I did get it pretty white though at one point!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:25 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

thanks guys. i have access to mp virgin - i will try that first then go from there!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If Virgin Snow doesn't get it white enough on its own try adding a tiny tiny amount of a Manic Panic purple to it, I add a smidge of Ultra Violet to Virgin Snow to keep my pre-toned hair nice and white. But literally the tiniest amount, for a half jar of Virgin Snow I dip a qtip in Ultra Violet and just use the qtip of dye to mix it all up.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:08 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i did not see ultra violet at hot topic yesterday - too bad - it was bogo on hair dye. i bought virgin snow - will try that later!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:34 pm 

I want to do this color http://www.storenvy.com/products/100668 ... colors-not

It looks like crazy color brand silver to me. I have one tube of that but it's not enough for my hair. Maybe I'll order some of this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:11 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

might need to buy that...my grey hairs are pretty white - not silvery so i am hoping that the virgin toner might make my stripe more one toned that crepe dye job looking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:20 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

my grey hair seem to be whiter but the yellow is still not really gone from the rest of my hair after virgin snow. ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i similar experience with manic panic's it didn't get it white enough for me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:04 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

ugh...i wish wella was vegan/cf my cousin swears by this and her hair has been pretty damn white at one point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:05 am 

I know Ion's semi permanent colors are vegan- I'm going to email about the permanent ones but this color looks good http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-dye/ION ... lt,pd.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

are you mixing developer with the toner?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

blondiefk wrote:
I know Ion's semi permanent colors are vegan- I'm going to email about the permanent ones but this color looks good http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-dye/ION ... lt,pd.html

In desperation I've used that without knowing the vegan status. If you're going for an ash blonde where gold still peeks through, it's the color for you. If you want white or silver, not so much.

The best permanent white toner I've used that's vegan is Framesi Framcolor Glamour 12.62. I've talked to Framesi on the phone and in emails, they told me both times that everything in their line is vegan. That's not necessarily true, they have some haircare products that list silk protein in the ingredients, BUT the Framcolor Glamour line and their developers are fine. Downsides other than ingredient scanning, it claims to be low ammonia, and maybe it is, but it reeks. Also if using over freshly lightened hair I wouldn't go over a 5 volume developer and I'd process for the shortest time possible because the 12.62 is a high lift color and can be damaging because of it. The other downside is it's pro only, so if you're not licensed you're going to have to order it online and hope you're getting authentic product from the seller. But if you're looking for white platinum, or a base to then use Manic Panic or whatever veggie dye to go silver or pastel, it's up there with the decidedly non-vegan Wella toners in efficacy.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:12 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i am having a hard time getting the yellow out of my hair. i am not sure why that virgin snow/most toners do not work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:39 pm 

fupapack wrote:
are you mixing developer with the toner?

I've never used the permanent ones. I assume they need developer. Wella dies, doesn't it? The semi-permanent (I used aqua and pastel pink) don't require developer

The best white toner I've used is Roux Ultra White Minx. I don't know if it was vegan but it sure was white,and they made permanent pastel toners too.. It's off the market though except a leave in kind that I don't know the vegan status of. I've also used off the scalp frosting bleach which got my hair super white. Also no idea of the vegan status, it was years ago.

I'm going to try the Framesi maybe.. I talked the boy about silver and he thinks it will look weird.. Still me hair my decision but I respect his opinion..

MMC how pale are you prebleaching too? It really has to be very very pale yellow to work..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Roux are owned by Colomer who are unfortunately owned by Revlon.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This is strangely timely, the phrasing is weird, but it sounds like Framesi's silk is synthetic. Which was also a thing that happened with Tarte awhile back, they claimed the silk in their eyeliners was synthetic. Like how Eyeko say their beeswax is synthetic. I'm not sure I trust any of these claims because you'd think they'd in that case list synthetic silk/synthetic beeswax on their ingredient lists. Whatever. The Framesi hair dye and developer was vegan anyway, but I guess the Color Lover haircare line might be too.
http://veganmakeup.tumblr.com/post/1159 ... th-post-on

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:33 pm 

Does the Framesi go with a certain developer? I found the color on Amazon I just need to know what it mixes with.

Eta - the Framesi website calls it premixed so I'm assuming it needs no developer?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If it's the 12.62 Framcolor Glamour it needs a developer. I used their Proxima developer, which looks to be the only one in their line to come in a 5 volume. I'm awful about mixing brands though, and have never had a problem doing it, so if you already have a 5 volume, or if any of the Sally's developers are vegan a 5 of those would work too. 5 will do deposit only. If you're trying to lift and tone go 30 or 40.

ETA the Proxima has palm oil, just a heads up if that's an issue for you.

twitter @jessilikewhoa