| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why buy a mattress anywhere else?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:18 pm 
Semen Strong

We are looking for a nice new mattress and thought we found one at Sleepy's (the Dr Breus), but there are so many online complaints about the mattress itself and about Sleepy's refusals to honor their own warranties.

So where would you buy a mattress and what would you get?

Post subject: Re: why buy a mattress anywhere else?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

A year ago I bought a queen mattress after I moved in with my partner, the twin bed just wasn't cutting it. I bought it from a place called America's Mattress. I have no idea if it's a chain but the salesperson was so knowledgeable about every bed and let me lie on the mattresses forever without seeming impatient. I found that although I initially thought I'd want a pillow top mattress, because they are super comfy, after a while they apparently get lumpy and smooshed down where you normally sleep so they don't stay comfy for long. (no first hand knowledge just what I read with reviews/talking to people that have pillowtops). I tend to like the firmer type mattresses because I can always buy a mattress topper to make it softer and those can be replaced (if needed) much easier and cheaper than another mattress. As I was doing my research there was talk about spring and coil count, but really just trying out a bunch of mattresses is my recommendation. The coil and spring count were just numbers to me that didn't factor into my decision at all. It was all about how I felt laying on the mattress. Which brings me to my next point: test out all mattresses, and not just for a second, really lay on the mattress and change positions and see what it feels like after say 10 minutes. Also, really read and understand the warranty that comes with your mattress. I found out that while my warranty covered a new mattress if it became defective/springy/lumpy/saggy for the lifetime of the mattress; any stain on the mattress (no matter how small) would void the warranty because any drop of a liquidy type substance on the mattress could cause the springs to rust and cause them to poke, sag, and not function properly and then the defectiveness would then be my fault and not the actual manufacturing of the mattress. I ended up investing in a waterproof mattress cover and hope that when we move in the next 2 months the mattress stays dry during transit to the new place! I've also heard really great things about memory foam mattresses. They take a few nights to get used to (sore muscles and achey backs) but after your spine is realigned by sleeping on the memory foam (i have no idea if it's actually been proven to be beneficial) you get the best sleep ever. Good luck on your mattress search!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I read a lot of horror stories about Sleepy's refusing to honor their warranties, too. Of course, I read this AFTER we already bought a Sleepy's mattress, but we haven't had any problems with it in the last 2 years and it wasn't made of wool, so I think everything might be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Temperpedic! Or Sleep Number.

I have a T and love it, but my parents tried it when I first got it and they hated it, so liking those is an individual thing. But it's great for my back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ikea!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:33 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

When I moved to america and heard the radio for the first time... I was HORRIFIED at what I heard. "sleep country... USA!" GASP! Do people not know it's supposed to go "sleep country... CANADA!" It was so wrong... so very wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a 12 inch memory foam mattress from walmart and it's awesome. And it was cheap as far as mattresses go. And it shipped to my house for free. I have it on a cute platform frame from Overstock.

My mattress:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Spa-Sensat ... ss/7695950

My bed frame:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ha ... oduct.html

Previous to this I had a cheap memory foam mattress from Ikea for 4 years or so, but it was thin, and when I checked for something comparable from them in my price range this summer when I needed a mattress all their mid range foam mattresses contained wool. Because they're jerks.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I have a 12 inch memory foam mattress from walmart and it's awesome. And it was cheap as far as mattresses go. And it shipped to my house for free.

We have this too. It's comfy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:39 am 
Chard Martyr

lavawitch wrote:
Temperpedic!
My mom swears by her numerous Temperpedics, and they are very comfortable.
(I think I'm the only one who doesn't sleep like a baby on one, but I have sleep issues/insomnia and don't sleep well on anything. Everyone else who stays over raves about it.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 am 
WRETCHED

We have a sleep number but I wouldn't recommend if you like cuddling or sleeping close together. Otherwise it is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

solipsistnation wrote:
Ikea!

Do you like it?? We've been needing a new mattress and wanting to go the Ikea route (probably a foam mattress on a platform frame) but were worried about the quality, especially over time, since they are so relatively inexpensive. Has it held up well?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would love to hear about Ikea mattresses as well!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Mars wrote:
When I moved to america and heard the radio for the first time... I was HORRIFIED at what I heard. "sleep country... USA!" GASP! Do people not know it's supposed to go "sleep country... CANADA!" It was so wrong... so very wrong!

Wooaaaah, that is wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

superherogirl wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:
Ikea!

Do you like it?? We've been needing a new mattress and wanting to go the Ikea route (probably a foam mattress on a platform frame) but were worried about the quality, especially over time, since they are so relatively inexpensive. Has it held up well?

We have a queen-sized version of the midrange. We have only a mattress-- box springs annoy me, anyway. This is, let's see... Sultan Huglo, I think-- springs and foam. It came rolled up. We got it with that basic Malm bedframe, although we aren't using that now since the boy rolled out of bed a couple of times and that was very traumatic. So, mattress on the floor. (Yes we are adults, why do you ask? 8)

It's held up pretty well, considering it's been through a couple of moves and a baby. It's not the finest mattress I've ever experienced, but it's not bad, and I certainly sleep as well on it as on any mattress.

The frame was your basic Ikea thing-- not too bad, reasonably attractive, easy to assemble. Overall we've certainly gotten our money's worth, and when it's beaten down and stuff, it won't be too much hassle to replace.

I'd say that it's definitely worth checking them out, especially for the money. I don't really see the point in dropping a thousand bucks on a bed at the best of times (especially considering that mattress dealers are basically the car dealers of the bedroom)...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I have one of the top of the line Ikea mattresses (got it several years ago) and I love it. I have an extra mattress pad on it to make it super plush because I like the squish, but the mattress itself is great. Very supportive, and really comfy. I've been super happy with it.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:42 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It is actually one of my favorite mattresses ever, the Ikea mattress.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Spending over $1000 on the right mattress definitely has a point if you have physical issues like arthritis or back problems! There are lots that aren't necessarily worth the money, but many are and can make a HUGE difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 pm 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
Mars wrote:

Wooaaaah, that is wrong!

Haha, when I lived in Spokane, we shared a tv station with some towns across the border, so I heard both intermittently. International!

Aaaaand, that's my contribution to the mattress thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 am 
Semen Strong

At Macy's all the mattresses are 50% to 60% off bc Stearns and Foster is rolling out their new lines.

We loved many of them, but then read a lot of not good reviews where the mattress got lumpy and Macy's wouldn't honor the warranty. I'd be pissed if I spent $1000+ on a mattress and hated it. Plus we're having a baby. And every seller seems to agree that stains void your warranty - so one drop of blood or gunk and you're done.

Interestingly, we really liked the Floknes Ikea mattress and you can get the set for $449 (foundation and mattress in queen). And ikea has an A+ from the BBB for standing behind their warranties (25 your limited - ikea can allow or deny exchange at their discretion but apparently generally is good about it). If we got one now, and it held up for 5 years, i'd be thrilled (according to the reviews you should generally expect them to be good for 5yrs before they start to sag). The Spa Sensation from Walmart has fantastic reviews, but we don't want to buy an untested mattress....

Thank you so much for the feedback. I wouldn't have thought of either Walmart or Ikea for mattresses otherwise!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:05 am 
WRETCHED

Costco is also good about warranties as well. They have some at their website but you'd want to check them out at a different store since even the mattresses in store aren't on a bed to try.

You'd need a Costco membership($50) but here is one comparable mattresses

$499 3 layer memory foam mattress, 10" of memory foam, free shipping
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... =C&topnav=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:25 am 
WRETCHED

And because i can't edit, that mattress has a 20 year warranty and if you ever buy anything from Costco and a manufacturer won't honor their warranty, you can contact Costco about it.

The description also said this which is interesting and the reviews back it up

This 10 inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offers 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress.

It is a firmer mattress though based on reviews but Costco has others as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:31 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! We have a costco membership! I'll look into it. The mattress sounds great

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:20 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

You could also try a natural mattress maybe http://thenaturalsleepstore.com/whybuyorganicfaq.html. apparently off gassing from some synthetic mattresses can be quite bad for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:28 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Meggs wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Temperpedic!
My mom swears by her numerous Temperpedics, and they are very comfortable.
(I think I'm the only one who doesn't sleep like a baby on one, but I have sleep issues/insomnia and don't sleep well on anything. Everyone else who stays over raves about it.)

I don't either! Well, I sleep fine but I wake up with all sorts of aches. Which is weird because it's molding to the shape of my body and all. My body is naturally painful

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:10 am 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
I wake up with all sorts of aches. Which is weird because it's molding to the shape of my body and all. My body is naturally painful
Mine too. We should demand they make a special Space-Age Temperpedic for us, or just jump on them and try to not spill a glass of red wine.

That's the right commercial, right?

Sorry to derail the topic.