| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: why buy a mattress anywhere else?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I went to Mattress Giant. Good prices, good quality, good service. I'm very happy with the mattress I got, which is a full-size "Ivanhoe Visco Plush".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 pm 
Semen Strong

I ended up getting the 12" memory foam walmart Spa Sensations, because it cost about $350 and had 1600 reviews of which almost all were positive. It feels great. we both really liked the Ikea Flocknes in the stores ($449 for a latex mattress, a great deal), but it felt like the Ikea mattresses had mixed reviews and many people felt they really lost firmness very fast. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... /20139925/

I ended up using sleeplikethedead.com for reviews and found it really helpful. It was pretty insane to realize how many of the high end beds were really unpopular with consumers. SLTD rated the TempurPedic Cloud highest in owner satisfaction (86%) and the Spa Sensations second with 82% or owners being happy with their purchase. High praise, especially since the TempurPedic Cloud (queen) we saw was around $3000, so nearly 10x as much. Ikea foam had 77% owner satisfaction.

My partner and I also bought the Ikea bedframe Bemnis, and holy crepe is it complicated to put together there are so many teeny weeny parts and there are two configurations you can use, which aren't clearly delineated in the instructions. 6+ hours (my partner is really handy so if I'd had to do it, it would be back at the store already) later it looks great though. It sounds like other people have the same issue with putting it together, and I'm a bit surprised because normally Ikea stuff is a breeze to put together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We've had the 12" Spa Sensations for a few months now, and I really love it. I do sometimes sleep a bit hot from the foam, but nothing terrible.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Id get an organic one because they spray all sorts of knarly chemicals and fire retardant crepe and other yuckies that I dont want slowly seeping into my body

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Adam Crisis wrote:
Id get an organic one because they spray all sorts of knarly chemicals and fire retardant crepe and other yuckies that I dont want slowly seeping into my body

Do you know of any organic mattresses that cost less than $1000? I would *love* to buy an organic mattress but, as far as I know, I can't afford one. Do you know? Are you magic?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 pm 
Semen Strong

You can get them wholesale for $600. I agree that it would be nice to have one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
You can get them wholesale for $600. I agree that it would be nice to have one.

From whom?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think we're getting Target's 10" memory foam. Hopefully that will work out well

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tempurpedic all the way! Between my Tempur and my "turtle shell" (lush duvet cover from Anthropologie + a comforter from Ikea) my bed is my favorite place on earth. I wish I could afford a new Tempurpedic. I would take my old one and make the guest bed and I would upgrade to the new super pillow topped one. Gah, if only I had a few thou laying around. The pillows are a must too.

They take a while to get used to though. And they have to settle in to your household climate and you. So on the first night you might not experience that great night sleep thats advertised. But I think thats why they have a 90 day money back deal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
I ended up getting the 12" memory foam walmart Spa Sensations, because it cost about $350 and had 1600 reviews of which almost all were positive. It feels great.

I bought this one based on your recommendation. It is awesome.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:45 pm 
Semen Strong

It is SO COMFY!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We ended up going with a middle of the line Ikea foam mattress, and we seriously could not be happier. It is really comfy, and we've both slept a lot better over the past month than with our old, worn-out junker from before. We also got the Ikea Malm bed frame, but we found one in the clearance section (it has one tiny chip in the top of the headboard, it cannot even be seen unless you're looking specifically for it) and it was almost 50% off!!! That made the whole king sized set really affordable!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:09 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

We unrolled our foam mattress 39 hours ago and it's still kind of wavy. Like one corner is flatter than the rest of the mattress and one area near the middle is higher than the rest of the mattress. Normal? The one we got did get good reviews. I don't know if waiting a couple more days will help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:16 am 
Semen Strong

which one did you get?

It definitely takes a bit to uncompress - I think ours said leave 72 hours, but we were ok sleeping on it after about a day and a half. I will say that the off-gassing was not pleasant while it was expanding, so I was happy to stay off it for a while.

Also, I am so excited that you're on the East Coast now! It was so lovely meeting you in Montclair, and I hope we get to see you again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

IKEA! also they have a 14 piece tupperware set for $4. if i were you i would get both.

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19 pm 
Semen Strong

My mattress is crazy heat retaining. Does anyone have a recommendation for cooling gel tops or something for the summer?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ha! I bought the same one as you based on your recommendations and I noticed the same thing. It's nice this time of year, but summer will be warm! I'll be watching this thread.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

My dog ate my ikea foam mattress... Just bought a new one from Sears mattress Sale (50% off) and i'm loving it...but i also haven't slept on a regular mattress in months so that might have something to do with it...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ours is from Sleepy's, a few years old now, we love it. They gave us a ridiculous deal on the same model in a smaller size this year for our toddler's bed (wanted something comfortable enough that our old bones wouldn't mind sleeping on it).

I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a mattress from Costco. Their return policy is ridiculously good.

We had a foam mattress for almost 10 years (an off brand, which we got for free!), and it got lumpy and developed sink holes in the middle. We have switched to a inner spring with a foam topper, which is actually way more comfy anyway. Firm yet soft!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I see now how old this thread is. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:29 am 
Tofu Pup

Ariann wrote:
I see now how old this thread is. :)

Haha I only realized how old this thread was by reading your comment, however since Im here id like to ask on an advice on sleeping mattresses. Im looking to buy this one http://www.urbanmattress.com/mattresses/lumina, does anyone know the price range or if it is as the review states? Im new to the forum and not sure if I should create a new thread