| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deoderant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

What's your favorite deoderant?

I am on the search for a good one. I have had a recent breakout on just one pit and i'm beginning to think it's my deoderant, so i have to make a switch to something new. On my search, I found this:

http://www.veganbeautyreview.com/2010/1 ... undup.html

and apparently LaVanilla wins. I am really frackin hesitant to spend the money, too, and the only thing that's worked in the last year at keeping smells away has been Pomegranate Scented spray Crystal Essence deoderant (and it smells like freshness and heaven).

Post subject: Re: Deoderant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:22 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I have tried a handful, the only thing that works for me is Mitchum. The other deodorants leave my underarms itchy and red.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:41 pm 
Human Gravy

I use Tom's 24-hour (I personally prefer Beautiful Earth, the apricot is ok, not so much a fan of the unscented) with Lush Vanilla Puff power. I smell fine, but it doesn't help with sweating if that is a problem for you. Apparently, I'm allergic to everything, but I have no problems with this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just got Toms beautiful earth, I really like the scent, it's nice and light, not too perfumy. I find that it doesn't work super well though, I think I'm just too stinky :( maybe once I've used it for a while it will be better? I'd been using Mitchum antiperspirant prior to the toms so part of me thinks that crepe needs to get outta my system so regular deodorant will work better.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mitchum forever!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mitchum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

mitchum is the only thing that works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i like the crystal deoderant. i work out a bunch too and don't stink too horribly. or should i say, no worse than when i used to wear more traditional deoderant/antiperspirant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If I'm wearing white, or some light color, it's Tom's apricot. Otherwise, it's a layer of unscented Mitchum, followed by a a later of apricot. antiperspirants leave yellow stains on white clothes, for me at least. I think it's something having to do with the aluminum and sweat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mitchum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:13 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I put on a layer of natural deodorant (for sticking purposes, but a slightly damp pit also works) and then pat on baking soda so a very thin layer covers the whole area. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for B.O. to penetrate the baking soda layer. It lasts a really long time, too. You have to make sure to pat and not rub, though, because it's extremely abrasive. And maybe moisturize at night. Baking soda is the only thing in the world that's been able to keep me 100% stink-free.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ban is accidentally vegan (or it was when I checked, years ago!), so I've been using that.

LaVanila makes a good natural one, but it's super expensive and runs out really quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really liked Kiss My Face Stick deodorant in summer scent but they've discontinued it. I still like their patchouli scent stick if I'm wearing a patchouli based perfume, but if not, it clashes with whatever perfume I'm wearing. I've recently bought the sport scent but haven't had a chance to really try it out. I find the staying power of KMF is better than Tom's, at least with my body chemistry.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Bobs Red Mill Baking Soda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Adam Crisis wrote:

isn't that like, fancy baking soda? I just buy the store's own brand.

I make my own deodorant out of baking soda, shea butter and cornstarch. Works amazing!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 pm 
Human Gravy

Momo wrote:
I just got Toms beautiful earth, I really like the scent, it's nice and light, not too perfumy. I find that it doesn't work super well though, I think I'm just too stinky :( maybe once I've used it for a while it will be better? I'd been using Mitchum antiperspirant prior to the toms so part of me thinks that crepe needs to get outta my system so regular deodorant will work better.

I had this problem when I made the switch (I was using Mitchum as well). It's worth letting your body transition. It's better for you and the armpits of your clothes don't get all shitty from the chemicals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:30 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I love me some Crystal.

I've used it alone various times, and it's worked wonderfully. I just have a travel-size crystal and it's lasted over a month, still going strong. I always apply right after showering, though. I hear they're not that great if you're already smelly.

Normally I'll spritz on Kill It Dead afterwards, which is a vegan liquid deodorant from the makers of Chicken Poop lip balm. That doesn't really work by itself for me, but I'm trying to get rid of it, and putting it on over the crystal gives me some sort of satisfaction that I'm not wasting it by tossing it in the garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:22 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Quarantined wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

Fancy Baking Soda for a Fancy Fella, but Im willing to dig deep and pay the extra 1.50 per year for a company thats worth supporting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Adam Crisis wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

Fancy Baking Soda for a Fancy Fella, but Im willing to dig deep and pay the extra 1.50 per year for a company thats worth supporting

that's very true...now I feel like a cheap jerk!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:25 pm 
Chip Strong

I have the tom's stuff too in the natural scent. It works alright unless I get really sweaty, in which case it seems to sweat off the deodorant and I reek. It doesn't really bother me too much though. I had a problem with my pores getting all clogged up with antiperspirant (at least this is what I'm guessing) and my pits would still smell after I scrubbed the shiitake out of them in the shower and it freaked me out so I stopped using that stuff. I'd rather stink a little than have metal clogging up my pores.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:48 pm 
Chip Strong

Adam Crisis wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

I know that Bob's Red Mill is aluminum-free, though I'm not sure if most store brands contain aluminum or not.

A year or so ago I was just using whatever deodorant I could find, but my pits suddenly started getting really itchy, so I took that as a sign that I should switch to more natural stuff. It seemed to clear up the problem.

Tom's deodorant works okay for me, though not great. I do like the apricot scent, and I like their products because they're pretty cheap and they usually have coupons. I just wish they weren't owned by Colgate or whoever. I have a sample of Muddy H20 Pit Stop, and it works pretty well to absorb sweat, but I imagine baking soda would work fine too. Right now I'm using some sort of roll-on crystal-based deodorant, but I can't remember which on and I can't check right now. This one seems to work pretty well, though.

Fyi, The Desert Essence tea tree deodorant did not work for me at all. I've used and liked some of their products in the past, so your mileage may vary.

There. That's all I know about vegan deodorants.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The best I can tell Certain Dri is vegan, and they don't test. It only has three ingredients, water, some metal stuff (different from usual metal stuff) and baking soda. I was having major sweat issues toward the end of the summer and nothing was working. It's a little irritating, but I think that's the baking soda. I use it every other night and then use Nature's Gate deodorant in the mornings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:41 am 
Tofu Pup

I use Mitchium in the summer(if I'm going out). But I really loved the Tom's apricot one that I have. It took some time tolerating roll on. I really prefer clear liquid gel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:45 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Allison, not Alison wrote:
Momo wrote:

I had this problem when I made the switch (I was using Mitchum as well). It's worth letting your body transition. It's better for you and the armpits of your clothes don't get all shitty from the chemicals.

That's what I figured. I am also always warm, especially when I am at work because the air circulation is so poor here. It's always super muggy inside the office :(

I can smell myself after maybe 4 hours of putting the deodearnt on...hopefully noone else can?? I think I am sensitive to smells though and overly worrysome of smelling bad...

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:37 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My previous deodorant situation stopped working altogether, so I picked up Nature's Gate Autumn something-or-other in stick form. Smells kinda manly, but that's what I like my pits to smell like. Excited to see how things turn out!