| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me find non-metal jewelry!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:40 pm 
And you never will.

Does anyone know of a good source for non-metal jewelry that's fairly affordable? I'm allergic to most metals, even "hypoallergenic" ones, like sterling silver and surgical steel. I can wear niobium or titanium, but it can be hard to find and a bit pricey - though not as pricey as fine silver or platinum. I just want fun cheap jewelry that won't give me oozy welts.

Anyone else here have the same problem?

Post subject: Re: Help me find non-metal jewelry!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:02 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I solve that by shopping at Tiffany. (Or not)

The craft stores have a lot of nice minerals that you could combine and string on cord. I think minerals are pretty great. They are also mostly pretty cheap! I prefer the ones that are more organically shaped and not rounded and polished to an inch of their little rock lives, but those can be nice too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Almost all my jewelry is stones (bought myself a lapis necklace last year as a treat!). got in the habit after working with my pottery teacher and having metal jewelry burn me badly when I was close to the kiln (not cool!). I have several mineral bead necklaces I bought off of ebay really cheaply (maybe dyed, but I don't really mind). Michaels or the crafty places have a nice silicone type cord with an easy open mechanism that is really classy looking. We have a lot of wood-based jewelry down here, and I know in the US I've seen some pretty classy glass things as well, though I'm a bit too clumsy for glass.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks you guys! I guess I'm just gonna have to get crafty. In the past I've not had luck because a lot of non-metal cords etc. have metal fasteners, and even the tiniest amount of metal touching my skin is a not-good-thing (I have to cover the back of the metal buttons on my jeans with cloth, and can't wear glasses that have metal anywhere on them, for instance), but maybe things have changed since then and I'll be able to make something work! I just wish there was more trendy jewelry available that was made of wood or acrylic or something.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The craft store minerals are already prestrung so you can see what they will look like. You can buy whatever cord suits you and use a knotted cord clasp. I don't think you'd need to be too crafty. Nothing the cake goddess can't handle!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:22 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks! I'm gonna hit up the craft store this week!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:43 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

There's also lots of body jewelry in acrylic, silicone, wood or stone. Do you have earring holes at all? Not much options for super thin gauges, but at about 10/8 you can start finding some pretty cute stuff, and it's pretty easy to get up to that size.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:28 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Not even 10/8, you can get some cute wood stuff at 14g.

http://www.bodyartforms.com/products.as ... preorders=

There's also glass but that stuff is NOT cheap. I anti-recommend acrylic jewelry, just thinking about it makes me ears itch.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:42 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks you guys! I used to have ear holes (just standard whatever my 13-year-old self got at the mall), but I haven't worn earrings in many years so I'm pretty sure they've closed up. I've considered getting them re-peirced though, and would probably invest in some small niobium or titanium earrings to leave in all the time if I do. I mostly want necklaces and rings and bracelets, I guess, but non-metal rings that don't look like they came out of a vending machine are hard to come by.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Do you have a wholesale jewelry district near you? I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in NY you can walk into those places, pick out a bunch of stones, and they will string it all for you.

I also really love acrylic or glass chunky cocktail type rings. I usually see them at crafts shows.
This kind of thing:
http://www.glassofvenice.com/millefiori ... 7AodslkAqw

I am also metal allergic, but can usually tolerate steel, sterling, and hypoallergenic gold (the kind without nickel in it). But I had to give up on pierced ears altogether because anything stuck in there created disgusting infections.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:39 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Wait, you are allergic to surgical steal? What would happen if you ever needed surgery?

Do you crochet or knit? I use fine cotton "yarn" and a tiny crochet hook to make chokers and bracelets. Sometimes I also attach beads or stones. I usually use a metal fastener, but you could just tie them. Sometimes I also purchase trim, cord, etc. at the fabric store for this purpose.

I've seen stone rings at new age/hippie type shops. They are usually quite affordable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 pm 
And you never will.

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Wait, you are allergic to surgical steal? What would happen if you ever needed surgery?

I am! Steel is an alloy, and even surgical steel has trace amounts of nickel in it, which is my #1 allergy. I've never had surgery, but I've had stitches and stuff (like right after giving birth), and I assume the needle was surgical steel. I can only guess that the exposure was brief enough that my skin didn't have time to react. Not that I would have necessarily known I was having a reaction - the area wasn't exactly "happy" otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I hear ya girl, I'm allergic as well (even surgical steel, and I don't get to play with niobium either and my wedding rings are platinum but I have to get them dipped every once in a blue moon). I have "I can wear this for x amount of time" lists or I use a solution. Gold is a bit longer than some other metals but yeah, blah. Once I had a staple after surgery, that was a mess. Now they just glue me together, hah.

Solutions for things to wear a few hours (like fashion pendants and a ring) is a few coats of clear nail polish where it would hit you. It does wear off eventually, you have to reapply. You can also get a clear plastic coating as well but that's kind of pricey (so I do it on my wedding rings).

The 80's was awesome with it's plastic jewelry, I didn't have to worry about anything. Meh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm 
And you never will.

Ah, solidarity! I'm sorry you have to deal with the same thing! I've definitely done the nail polish trick in the past, and I guess it's okay if there's something I want to wear occasionally and can just coat it every time.