| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CURLY hair products
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:51 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Any good tips on vegan hair products for curls? I'm looking specifically for a vegan mousse. Thanks!

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

Post subject: Re: CURLY hair products
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Sarah Kramer raves about Jessicurl. I've never tried it as I have straight hair, but she swears by it!!!
http://www.jessicurl.com/

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have curly hair too. I am looking for a leave-in conditioner or styling cream. I don't like anything too heavy or sticky. I liked the giovanni leave-in when my hair was longer but now that it's super short it's almost too much. I'll try diluting it.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My super inexpensive solution: I mix one part Africa's Best Ultimate Hair Oil (I swear by the stuff) with three or four parts of whichever body lotion I'm currently using. At first my hair looks a bit greasy, but shortly drinks it all in and my curls look shiny and frizz-free for the remainder of the day!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Momo wrote:
Sarah Kramer raves about Jessicurl. I've never tried it as I have straight hair, but she swears by it!!!
http://www.jessicurl.com/

Jessicurl is great, the Aloeba conditioner is a staple product for me. I always go back to it even when I play the field and try out other products. I didn't like the styling products though, magnesium sulfate dries out my hair.

For styling and frizz taming I like Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Ecostyler olive oil gel. KCCC can be found at Target or Wholefoods, and the Ecostyler gel is available at Sally Beauty Supply and Walgreens. The gel is much cheaper at Sally's, I paid $4 for a 32 oz tub.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 am 

Thanks, I'll try the Jessicurl and report back, I hope the WholeFoods near me has it!

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm curious to hear how you make out with Jessicurl. I have curly hair too and haven't found a product I like yet...but I haven't tried Jessicurl.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Jessicurl didn't do anything for my hair.
This stuff is ok: http://www.beautifulcurls.com/store/pc/ ... category=2 but I still haven't found anything to replace my beloved L.A. Looks Sport gel, which seems to be Not Vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Have you tried any of the "Be Curly" products from Aveda?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I have been using just straight olive oil instead of gel for a few years with really good results. It did take a while for my hair to adjust to the transition from the (non-vegan) styling cream I had been using. I moved a few months ago and the weather here is so much drier that my hair has been dry and frizzy even after using more olive oil. I just got a big jar of coconut oil at TJ's for around 5 bucks and that has worked great! My hair is shiny and soft (I hate the way gel can get crunchy) and I can use a lot less than with the olive oil, so I think it'll actually save me money. I also use it for dry elbows, etc. The nice thing about trying out edible stuff is that if it doesn't work for you as a beauty product, you can just use it for cooking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 am 

rohai wrote:

I didn't realize Aveda was vegan! I actually really like their stuff - thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 am 
Level 7 Vegan

eatmonaeat wrote:
rohai wrote:

I didn't realize Aveda was vegan! I actually really like their stuff - thanks!

Not all of it is, some of it contains honey or beeswax, but most of it is vegan. If you google it you can see which products contain those items, otherwise since it should just be those obvious items reading the label isn't too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

rohai wrote:

I tried some kind of cream stuff from the Be Curly line. I found it really frizzed up my hair, which is kind of weird. That was in a different (drier) climate though, so I should go find the container and try it now that I live somewhere different. Thanks for the reminder!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my gorgeous sister-in-law swears by those DevaCurl products. Not sure of the veganness though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aveda came out with a concentrated BeCurly thing that I like since it just helps prevent frizz. Sometimes I also mix in one of their smoothing products with the regular BeCurly gel so that I get a smoother curl (does that make sense?).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I really like Alaffia's Beautiful Curls line, made with shea butter. As a plus it's a really great company that is committed to fair trade!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:51 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i'm going to be changing things up a bit soon so i'll post reviews here. i know all curls and hair types are different but my curls are long and not extra tight. jessicurl did nothing for me. be curly wasn't enough frizz control and the confixor is a standard purchase for me because i use it as a light gel and frizz control is great. the curling potential is pretty decent. pricey, however.

i'm forgetting the name of my favorite product that i get at whole foods. i ran out of it and need to repurchase.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mandycoot wrote:
I really like Alaffia's Beautiful Curls line, made with shea butter. As a plus it's a really great company that is committed to fair trade!

I have the leave-in conditioner for wavy hair, and it's really nice! Moisturizing but not too heavy.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Jessicurl is amazing! I do my hair research on naturallycurly.com. They have a mart attached to the site, that sells a ton of curly specific products. You can also take a curl type quiz and shop by curl type.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Phyto Organics OmniStyler is my all-time favourite curly hair product. It's vegan, and even has quinoa in it for extra vegan cred! It's seriously so, so great.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was going to suggest Be Curly, also. I love Aveda! There's also Phomollient, which isn't specifically for curly hair, but it's mousse-ish... but I think actually that one has honey.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Let's bump this thread!

I have slightly wavey hair that I like to encourage into wavey/almost curly when it's short and it's humid outside. I've been using Not Your Mother's curly creme the past few months and dig it, but it's sold in such a small size and the price has doubled on Amazon.

Whatcha got for me? : )

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Audrey wrote:
my gorgeous sister-in-law swears by those DevaCurl products. Not sure of the veganness though.

My hairdresser swears by those as well. She told me they were mostly vegan, and the "Angel" curl holder gel and the "No poo" shampoo/conditioner are for sure. I use those... my hair still fizzes, but I haven't tried anything else on it (oils, etc), since letting my hair go natural. Apparently I'm too rough with it, and that's why?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just started using the Be Curly line last month and I really really like it! My main problem with my curls is that my hair is suuuuuper fine. If I let it air dry I get stringy curls and by the end of the day any well defined curls also fall out and look stringy. But they still manage to frizz too! If I use the aveda curl enhancer and braid or twist my hair at night, I can let it air dry the rest of the way in the morning and it coils up really nicely. When it strings out mid-day I can reactivate it with a little water and gentle scrunching. I haven't been using hair spray, so I'm going to try the be curly one and see if it helps with frizz.

I just bought a sample kit of the joico curly line of shampoo and conditioner. Not sure if I really need a special shampoo/conditioner but I'm looking for something that will not weigh my hair down and will also help with moisture (I read somewheres that curly hair is drier and breaks more often, which certainly has been my experience!)

I don't have much to add about controlling frizz in humid conditions! Benefit of living in central CA.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:45 am 
WRETCHED

I posted another thread about encouraging curls and Pinko posted about the method to use a t-shirt or towel to encourage curls when it is wet. It actually works really well. My hair is funny where it is curly (loose curls) when wet but it dries mostly straight.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/augustafallett ... .ivXbRMw0j