| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

veggiepalooza wrote:

Another bra question: how many bras are you supposed to own? I tend to buy one and wear it nearly all the time which is gross and not good for the bra I'm willing to bet.

I frequently wonder the same! I only have two that I like and they're on constant rotation. They are very practical underwire no padding American apparel bras. But I hate it when I need a different bra for an occasion! I bought a strapless one for my wedding and I couldn't find anything unpadded and I hated the way it made me look so I just went braless.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:15 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I had to throw away most of my bras because the underwire popped out, they were falling apart, or just ill-fitting. I tried measuring for new bras since the internet is insisting everyone do so. All I know is that my boobs are falling out of the bottom and spilling out of the top of my 38d bras. Or just falling out the bottom leaving gaping fabric at the top. So lately I'm either not wearing a bra, or too small bras because at least they'll stay on!

After measuring several times and getting different numbers each time, it was of no help! 34ddd was the most consistent result, which I couldn't find at normal stores anyway. To the fancy bra store tomorrow to get professionally fitted and drop all the cash!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I hate shelling out $60+ for bras, but I actually think it's worth it to finally wear a nicely-constructed, PROPERLY-fitted bra. I won't ever go back to cheapo bras.

I'm just gonna reiterate how nice Chantelle bras are. I have this one and this one. I. love. them. so. much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

veggiepalooza wrote:
Another bra question: how many bras are you supposed to own? I tend to buy one and wear it nearly all the time which is gross and not good for the bra I'm willing to bet.

I've always wondered this too. Since going up to a hard-to-shop-for size I've only been using two "real" bras, plus a couple of cheapo sports bras for wearing around the house. That worked OK in the winter, but now that it's warm I got two more because I get sweaty and most of bras are so thick they don't dry out overnight when washed. But honestly I think you could get away with having only two bras if you wash them in the sink frequently, especially if they're in easy-to-match colors (like black/nude). If I'm just hanging out around the house I either wear a sports bra or go braless, and that also helps preserve my more expensive bras.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:13 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I have to follow through on the awesomeness shown here: http://sameatschildren.tumblr.com/post/ ... -measuring

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Eeek I had the BEST bra shopping experience of my life! They said I was the biggest challenge they've ever had fitting though, only making me even happier that I went. I had to get the two I bought altered (which only costs $2). Can't wait to pick them up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

appifanie wrote:
I have to follow through on the awesomeness shown here: http://sameatschildren.tumblr.com/post/ ... -measuring

Great link, thanks for sharing! I never did understand the whole "measure your ribcage and add X inches" thing because it makes no sense... shouldn't 34 just be 34? I just remeasured myself according to those instructions for laughs, and it seems that I am wearing the right size! I feel like I still would have to go up a cup size in certain styles though, because of top boob bulge. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

veggiepalooza wrote:
Eeek I had the BEST bra shopping experience of my life! They said I was the biggest challenge they've ever had fitting though, only making me even happier that I went. I had to get the two I bought altered (which only costs $2). Can't wait to pick them up!

if not too invasive, would you mind revealing the approx cost of the bras you got?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:40 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

alice1drland wrote:
I'm just gonna reiterate how nice Chantelle bras are. I have this one

I went yesterday and this is the one I got. It's so nice! I wore my previously best-fitting bra there and the woman who fitted me said it was horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Limone wrote:
appifanie wrote:

Great link, thanks for sharing! I never did understand the whole "measure your ribcage and add X inches" thing because it makes no sense... shouldn't 34 just be 34? I just remeasured myself according to those instructions for laughs, and it seems that I am wearing the right size! I feel like I still would have to go up a cup size in certain styles though, because of top boob bulge. Sigh.

agreed! it shouldn't be algebra, for heaven's sake.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

veggiepalooza wrote:
Oooh thanks! I think I'm going to head here today: http://irislingeriebrooklyn.com/. They are Oprah approved! and apparently the owner will make alterations which is amazing. I'm definitely on a tight budget so we'll see how it goes. I've been told I'm a 28 DD but I think it's wrong (too small).

I went yesterday, and got a chantelle ($68 inc tax). I've been wearing 34D or C most of my life, used that measurement guide on sameatschildren and got 30 DDDD, but the bra that fit turned out to be a 32 DD. Slightly smaller on the right side! It is much more flattering but around 4 or 5 times what I normally spend on a bra.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

appifanie wrote:

I started using this method of measurement a couple of years ago and it makes a world of forking difference to me. I have a smallish ribcage and massive breasts and I used to be all why is a 38 E (which fit me in the cups) not supporting me? Oh because I was really like a 32I or something. (Now I am down to a 32G! Oh boy!)

Annoyingly, I dropped somewhere between one and two cup sizes recently, so I have to buy new bras again. I just bought two like last year! Ugh. But it will make a world of difference to me.

I'm going to buy one of my standard (Le Mystere Dream Tischa) and then I am going to step outside my comfort zone and try a Fantasie bra that has really good reviews. It took me like two weeks to decide on this, because I seriously get anxious/edge of panic attacky about bra shopping. (Weird, but I hate dropping the money on something that might not fit and I have weird self consciousness issues with my breasts.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

try one of the sites that has free returns, and purchase two or three different sizes. then return the ones that don't fit. I wish I'd done that with one I just returned to Nordstroms. Hence I finally went to a physical store and got properly fitted.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm a 32G as well and my standby is the fantasie smoothing balcony t-shirt bra. I'm also going inbetween cups and I had to size down to a FF for one this last time, why won't my body just stay the same. Grr.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:45 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I HATE bras, but I particularly hate them in the summer - I find that I'm always sweaty under them, and they can be awkward under some of my tops. However, I don't like being braless because I hate the feeling of my boobs sitting on my underboob skin. It gets so damn WARM under there!

Enter the Hanes Bandini. I've linked the one that has some slight foam padding, but there is also one that has no padding and comes in a two-pack. They come in sizes S to 2X. In normal bra sizing, I am usually a 38/40 C/D, depending on the bra - in the Bandini, I fit an L but I find the XL more comfortable because I abhor tight things - so unfortunately, I don't think these would work for those of you who have large busts.

It has these cool straps that can be worn both up (as a racerback), one shouldered, or as a strapless bandeau - and it stays up pretty damn well for me. I have a semi-physical job, and I find that they're great for that. Much better than my regular sports bras that I wear when I run (I swear by Moving Comfort sports bras, either the Juno or the Rebound Racer), just because they are more comfortable to wear for a long period of time. So, I think that these could work as a low-impact sports bra too!

These have seriously changed my whole shiitake up. I am really excited about them and I wanted to share.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

JillW wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

if not too invasive, would you mind revealing the approx cost of the bras you got?

Not too invasive!

I got two, one was $90 and it is a Prima Donna brand and the other was about $70 (Chantelle). I know it seems absurd but my life is CHANGED. I hate how big my boobs are for my body and I know most people don't want this, but my new bras make my boobs like SO much smaller! Context: I'm a 29 E, so I'm petite and I feel like I finally look proportional. Plus SO much more comfortable. And it's like my entire closet got a facelift because everything looks so much better on me. I'll save my pennies for another one, definitely worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

xanthia wrote:
I'm a 32G as well and my standby is the fantasie smoothing balcony t-shirt bra. I'm also going inbetween cups and I had to size down to a FF for one this last time, why won't my body just stay the same. Grr.

That is the one I got, and I forking love it. I ended up sending the La Mystere back to exchange for a second of the Fantasie smoothing balcony thingy.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AutumnVegan wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
I'm just gonna reiterate how nice Chantelle bras are. I have this one

I went yesterday and this is the one I got. It's so nice! I wore my previously best-fitting bra there and the woman who fitted me said it was horrible.

Bra twins!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 am 
Tofu Pup

Limone wrote:
appifanie wrote:

Absolutely it should, I measure 32 and I wear a 32. I am in the UK and I wear a UK bravissimo Alana in a 32k and the cup and band and gore fit perfectly. Check out fullerfigurefullerbust , thin and curvy, CurvyWordy all very god blogs (regardless of your size, they all give good advice on good fitting and CurvyWordy especially has amazing photos of well fitting bras)

The plus 4 method of fitting is just wrong in so many ways. 80% of the support for a bra should come from the firm band under your bust. If your bra rides up at the back it is too big. If you spill out of the cups the cups are too small. If the wires protrude from
Your chest in the centre your cups are too small. If the wire sits on breast tissue the cup is too small.

Trust me, I have a very awkward size but I am very comfortable in my lovely bras. Raw Michalak does beautiful bigger and custom bras to order at good prices from Poland and Curvy Kate do great 28 backs and go up to UK K cup, so if you're reading this thinking "but if I am a 34b but that is too big on the back and I go down to a 30D where am I going to get that?" Curvy Kate may be your answer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:15 am 
Inflexitarian

I bought another Chantelle c-chic off ebay, now that I know what size to get. ($24!) This time I got a 3 panel instead of the molded cups. For some reason though, it feels less comfortable. Itchy lace and underwire digs a little. Any other chantelle owners have this issue?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Okay, so I've officially had a bra revelation! I tried the proper measuring technique, and learned that my sizing has definitely been off (was wearing 42D, measured at 40J). I ordered two bras from Bare Necessities, which I got today. One of them is going back, because the cups are a weird shape, but the other one. OH WOW. I've never, ever had the gore of a bra sit flat against my chest before, and this one does. The girls are sitting up all nice a pretty. I did the scoop thing, and I'm kinda afraid I'll need bigger shirts, but this is easily the best bra I've ever had. And I'm not even sure that it's the right size!

Several of the things I've read online say that the straps should not be holding the weight, that the band should do that. But mine are especially saggy (ALL MY LIFE.), and I don't know if I'll ever avoid the weight on the shoulders. I think I'll order another size or two of the same bra, just to make sure the sizing is perfect. But seriously, I had no idea. I'm just in brassiere bliss.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You're funny: brassiere bliss. I need to go bra shopping again. I always feel the straps are holding the weight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My first Doreen just arrived! It's weird having a Mad Men-type bosom but it's also nice not having wires. I'm amazed this thing works without wires and yet, nothing jiggles ;-P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:19 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LOL, Mad men-type bosom. But actually, that sounds very appealing to me...

I just want to say that I used to hate buying bras, I'm a bigger girl all around and it used to make me feel really bad about myself. Then one day I finally decided to go to a proper boutique place that has properly trained fitters and it changed everything! Yes, you do pay more at those kind of places but its so worth it. I would go to sears and they would put me in 42DD all the time. I always felt uncomfortable and my back hurt. When I was properly fitted by someone who knew what they were doing it turns out that I'm actually a 38G, not even close!
Also, I'm not stuck with just matronly beige as my only option. My boutique has all sorts of different styles and colours.

For bigger ladies, some of the brands they carry at my place that I have loved:

Freya (I love Freya, they are my favourite, I actually have a tankini top by them too, which is super hot),
Chantelle, Fantasie and PrimaDonna.

I think its worth spending money on good quality bras. Not only is a good bra the foundation of any outfit but also because an ill fitted bra can effect your health as well (lead to back problems and shoulder strain). Worth it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Courtney wrote:
I think its worth spending money on good quality bras. Not only is a good bra the foundation of any outfit but also because an ill fitted bra can effect your health as well (lead to back problems and shoulder strain). Worth it!

Absolutely! Getting professionally fitted makes all the difference. My favorite brand is Elomi and after years of trying to fit into a 38C, I finally went to Nordstrom and discovered I'm actually a 36G. And for the Doreen, I ordered the same size and it fits perfectly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next