| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hairbrushes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've relatively recently grown long hair for the first time in my adult life. Consequently I don't own a hairbrush of my own, so I've been using my boyfriend's comb. It's, uh, been a little rough. So, does anyone have recommendations of a hairbrush that's good for fine, fragile hair? I also get crazy static-y hair in the fall and winter so anything that helps with that is a huge plus.

Post subject: Re: Hairbrushes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I used to like the paddle style brush when I had really long hair.

http://www.bellasugar.com/What-Does-Pad ... Do-2353538

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My favorite hair brush is made by Earth Therapeutics and has wooden bristles. It's the only brush I've used that doesn't make my hair poofy, and it helps detangle without ripping through my hair.

A seamless comb is another good tool, especially for wet or damp hair. I have a Madora wide tooth comb that I use in the shower. It was expensive but I've used this comb for 8 years now and it is very sturdy. Speert also makes quality combs, and this one was my favorite until I lost mine.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I got whatever hairbrush was under 5 bucks at Safeway.

It (and similar hairbrushes replaced whenever my local woman decides it's time) has stood me in good stead these 20 years since my last haircut.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:51 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I really love having a wooden comb. I got mine from The Body Shop for probably $8. There is no seams on it that rip at your hair, and the teeth are widely spaced so it doesn't tug at knots. That's what I use to brush my hair, and I hardly have any breakage. When it comes to styling, I'm using a pregan boar bristle brush that I've had for probably 15 years. I don't know what I'll do when it inevitably gets too old to use.

I also use a shower comb made by Goody in the shower to evenly distribute conditioner. I find it makes a big difference with how knotted my hair is once I get out of the shower.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I don't know how people with long hair use combs? I am not sure how long she is talking about, my hair used to be down to my asparagus and there's no way I could get a comb through that shiitake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:45 am 
Saggy Butt

dragonssister wrote:
I don't know how people with long hair use combs? I am not sure how long she is talking about, my hair used to be down to my asparagus and there's no way I could get a comb through that shiitake.

I start towards the bottom and work my way up to get out the tangles. I only do this right before bed and in the morning before I shower, though, as I have very wavy hair and brushing or combing it during the day is not a good plan for me.

On a related note, are there any vegan soft-bristled brushes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I use a wide tooth comb on wet hair and a cushioned wooden handled (plastic tip salon brush) for styling. Never brush wet hair - always use a wide tooth comb - you can get them at most stores - they last for years!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

dragonssister wrote:

I use a comb in the shower, when my hair is full of conditioner. If my hair is really tangled, I finger comb first but usually just a regular comb is all I need to detangle when washing.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I keep my hair short, but when I had a bowl cut last year the stylist I saw at Aveda had me buy a nylon bristled Denman brush like these
http://us.denmanbrush.com/denman-brushes.aspx

It kept my hair really sleek with no frizz or fly-aways. I always use a wide toothed comb in the shower when my conditioner is in too.

I've read really great reviews of the Tangle Teezer but I've never used one.
http://www.tangleteezer.com/products_si ... duct=green

I think the Denman looks more elegant though.

twitter @jessilikewhoa