| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan nail polish brands
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

Also found out that Bondi New York is also vegan and cruelty free. When I asked on their FB page if they were cruelty free and vegan, they responded:

they are both. We never test our products or their ingredients on animals, nor do any of our products contain animal by products such as solvent etc

Just received a couple of their polishes over the weekend and they look good. Plus I love that their profits go to charity.

http://www.bondinewyork.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm not a nail polish person but decided I should get some (now that it's 90°F & my toes are exposed to the world)... and the first brand I come across touts itself as vegan: Color Me Earth. I noticed it's not on the list so I thought I'd give it some props.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

fishgirl182 wrote:
Also found out that Bondi New York is also vegan and cruelty free. When I asked on their FB page if they were cruelty free and vegan, they responded:

they are both. We never test our products or their ingredients on animals, nor do any of our products contain animal by products such as solvent etc

Just received a couple of their polishes over the weekend and they look good. Plus I love that their profits go to charity.

Funny seeing you here ;)

I posted about BondiNYC on the previous page - it's so good to see brands being so forward about being vegan/cf :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ETA: double post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am 
Tofu Pup

It's because of you, Kitteh. :) Though I am not vegan I do think it's helpful to know what is so that people can make informed choices. I am compiling my own list of vegan/cruelty free polish and figured I would let people know if I found a new brand. I am finding that a lot of np brands are vegan or at least cruelty free. Hoping this is a trend that continues since it seems like you can be vegan and still make really awesome nail polish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 am 
Tofu Pup

Adding another brand - Jesse's Girl are vegan/cruelty free. See the extremely short reply that I received.

CathyLawrence <cathy@jessesgirlcosmetics.com>

Yes they are.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 2, 2013, at 10:50 PM, fishgirl182 wrote:

> There is a new contact form submission from JessesGirl.
>
> Name: fishgirl182
> Email: ---
> Message: Hi!
>
> I was just wondering if you nail polishes were vegan and/or cruelty free. Thanks!

http://www.jessesgirlcosmetics.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I emailed Jesse's Girl before and got a different answer.
"Hi Jessi,

Our nail polishes may contain guanine or carmine depending on the shade.

Jesse's Girl,
Cathy"

I'm wondering if maybe she doesn't know those two ingredients aren't vegan. That's why when I email companies I ask about specific ingredients rather than just ask if products are vegan, because I've seen too many companies mislabel products as vegan that contain carmine and/or beeswax.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Good to know. I am not vegan so I am not super familiar with ingredients that may not be. Is there a list somewhere that I can use when I email companies? I don't want to give anyone false info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Non-vegan ingredients I've come across in polishes are shellac, guanine, carmine, silk, and pearl. Usually I'll ask if there are any ingredients derived from animals, marine animals, or insects, and then I'll say for example: and list those ingredients.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jessilikewhoa wrote:
That's why when I email companies I ask about specific ingredients rather than just ask if products are vegan, because I've seen too many companies mislabel products as vegan that contain carmine and/or beeswax.

I was going to bring this up, too. So many companies have no idea what vegan means and just say yes, so it's best to list ingredients so they actually have to go and check them.

Fishgirl - I re-read the response you posted from Cirque - did you copy and paste or re-type it?
Cirque wrote:
Thanks for your message. Yes, our products are cruelty free however they are not vegan. Hellebore contains carmine, but that is the only one that is animal-derived.
They say that their products are not vegan but then single out one specific example as being the only one that contains animal-derived ingredients - maybe they typed it out wrong or their range is not vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Dazzle Dry! I just read about the quick drying top coat on a nail artist's blog and found out their range is vegan and dries super quick without the need of a uv light and will last for weeks. Apparently it works best if you use their products only but I plan on using the top cot with other polish as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I keep seeing people say that China Glaze isn't CF because it's owned by Coty, yet when you google 'who owns china glaze' it's really easy to find out they're owned by American International Industries. So where are people getting that they're owned by Coty? I even went to Coty's site and neither company is listed, if it's even possible that they could own AII.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hmm.. maybe people are just mixing up their info and confusing CG with OPI (even though their names/initials are completely different)? Or there's a buy out about to happen? I hope people are wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, Peta has multiple Aii brands listed as cruelty free. I haven't seen anything about Coty buying Aii either, and usually when CF brands get bought it shows up on the CF beauty blogs.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:03 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have seen this for well over a year so it's not a recent fear, it's one person in particular who says that and then I saw a beauty guru tell someone on youtube that it's not cruelty-free because it's made in China, which we all know that's not how that law works.

I just wanted to confer that they are horribly, horribly wrong.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Christ, if that was how it worked half my makeup collection would be wiped out, because most if not all of the cosmetics from Wet n Wild and elf seem to be made in China. Even some of the pricier brands sell stuff made in China.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Kitteh have you heard of Picture Polish? I saw somewhere that they're cruelty free and Ocean is so pretty!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yup! I'm going to email them to find out for sure :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i do not ciate on the list...i thought they were vegan...hmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I remember reading the ingredient list and it looking vegan, though I don't know if anyone got email confirmation. I admit I've been crepe at adding brands because I just use the ones I know, and I haven't been buying nearly as much polish.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

*THIS THREAD*, where have you been all my life?

Hi, gals, I'm Rheyn (rain), and I'm mainly posting here to subscribe to the discussion, but I don't want to be a creepy lurker and not show myself.

So, this is me, and thank you for existing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

Kitteh wrote:
fishgirl182 wrote:

Funny seeing you here ;)

I posted about BondiNYC on the previous page - it's so good to see brands being so forward about being vegan/cf :)

(Ooo, double-quote!)

For those who haven't heard, Bondi is doing a subscription box beginning next month. I do Julep and Square Hue already (both of which I skipped this month, FWIW), so I have yet to pull the trigger, but I'm thinking about it. $19.99 for three is obviously better than their regular $12.50 per, and I have been curious to try Bondi; maybe I'll try then cancel if it's not much better than Color Club/other Forsythe brands.

e.l.f. is also starting a bi-monthly beauty box soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know if you're vegan or not, but just an fyi, it turns out Julep polishes aren't all vegan. If you search a few pages back in this thread there's discussion about it.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:49 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't have any of the non-vegan ones, but thanks for mentioning it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:08 am 
Tofu Pup

P.S. I went back and read the posts you're talking about, including the correspondence from Julep, and a few mentions of perhaps cancelling your Maven sub. Not sure whether you ever ended up doing it, but they now list ingredients for every product on the website, and I have not come across a new carmine-containing red or pink -- certainly not since they switched to the flat brushes, but even anything released within the past 9 months (at least.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next