| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WARM vegan shoes for winter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi everyone

I know winter is far away but in order to keep cool I'm thinking about it. I am one of those freaks who is ALWAYS cold. I have an old pair of North Face snow boots from pregan days but even they don't keep my feet warm (they always seem to get a little damp) and for regular everyday cute boots since going vegan I've always just bought a cheap pair of incidentally vegan boots at TJ Max and sometimes experienced extreme pain from how cold my feet were!

I'm looking for:
-a pair of great snow boots
-a pair of cute everyday tall boots (to wear with skinny jeans)
-and a cute pair of booties

warm sock suggestions would be much appreciated as well! I live in Brooklyn so I could go to MooShoes, has anyone bought shoes from there and are they actually amazing quality?

Post subject: Re: WARM vegan shoes for winter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i just bought these and i love them!!!! [i got black]
http://www.shoemall.com/p/sugar-womens- ... 4AodziQAdA

sorry, image is not cooperating but they are worth clicking on!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am 
Cranky

Bogs for warm boots. They're rated to -40F and are waterproof. I've had mine for 4-ish years, I think. During half of those winters they got very heavy use, and they're still in good shape.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:34 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

There are a couple of vegan sorels, which are what I have for snowboots. Sadly, many of the nicest pairs aren't vegan, but mine are waterproof, warm and super functional, which is what really matters.

I've had good luck with booties from Zara. About 50% of their shoes are man-made materials, and they're usually cute.

I'd also love to hear about good tall boots. I always wind up just buying a cheap pair that lasts one season and isn't really water resistant, so I would love something better quality that's still nice looking.

Mooshoes is great, but the quality of their shoes varies by brand - some are disposable and trendy, some are made to last.

Look for hiking socks. They're hard to find without wool, but if you hunt, you can find some that are all synthetic (I got some at EMS last year that have been pretty good).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 am 
Cranky

I guess it's time to repost my sock PSA.
viewtopic.php?p=411859#p411859

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dr. Apricot wrote:

haha, last year I think I bought 10 pairs of those Euro socks at Marshall's. They're the best.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:17 am 
Cranky

Quarantined wrote:
Dr. Apricot wrote:

haha, last year I think I bought 10 pairs of those Euro socks at Marshall's. They're the best.

They are! I don't need warm socks as much where I'm living now, but they were lifesavers in Boston.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:50 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Bogs for warm boots. They're rated to -40F and are waterproof. I've had mine for 4-ish years, I think. During half of those winters they got very heavy use, and they're still in good shape.

YES. A lot of vets I know (and me!) wear them for field service or outcalls because they keep your shiitake toasty warm. They come in a bunch of different colours and prints so you can pick fun ones if you want!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bought a pair of these Merrell boots on sale, but won't know how good they are until it starts to rain. All I want is a pair of non-bulky shoes that will keep my feet dry. So far, I've had a lot of trouble finding something vegan that is waterproof. I hope that these also keep my feet warm, but not sweaty.

http://www.planetshoes.com/item/merrell ... roof/18522

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I find Romika boots very warm and waterproof, with a good grippy sole. http://www.footwearmatters.com/romika/
They probably do non vegan items so be careful. I previously got mine from Veganstore in the UK but unfortunately they no longer mark which of their boots are Romika ones on the website.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Bogs are super. My toddler even has a pair! But because I am cheap for myself I wear my Hunter rain boots for snow too. They aren't warm, but they are totally waterproof and two pairs of synthetic hiking socks on the coldest days serves me just fine for northern nj and lots of outdoor time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I bought Bogs 3 years ago -- they are good at being waterproof and superwarm, but I always, always, always get gnarly blisters on the back of my ankles when I wear them. Does this seriously not happen to other people? (What's weird about my feet or my pair of bogs that that happens?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:47 am 

I was thinking about buying a pair of Bogs this year, but they look super uncomfortable and like they would cause blisters so I've been holding off. I really need a pair of warm boots though! (As in Canada winter warm)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:48 am 

I would love additional suggestions for warm weatherproof vegan boots. Stylish or not, whatevs. I'm sick of blisters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love my Hunters with the boot socks in them. For boots with skinny jeans I have a nice pair of Aerosoles but they're a few years old now. I like their shoes though because they are comfortable and stylish. I even have boots with a heel from them that don't kill my feet (and they're velvet!)

For serious snow though I have big bulky Sorrels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 am 

Do you have links for your Hunters and Sorrels boots?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

These are the Sorel ones that I have (mine are black) :

http://www.sorel.com/on/demandware.stor ... 2&start=12

I can't find the Hunter's I have-they might still make them -but I can't find them on a Site that's not the official Hunter one and that won't work on my phone. But this is their site.

http://usa.hunter-boot.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yes to horrible back of the ankle blisters from Bogs! I have to put that faux moleskin stuff on or I pay dearly. And I find them a bit clunky for the long walks and hikes I take with my dog. Then I found a pair of Sorels. Not as warm, but a lot easier to cover long distances in. Definitely check out Sierra Trading Post. You can find last year's styles for about half price. Check back often because their stock is in constant flow. I got a couple of pairs of Sorels from there for super cheap when they had an additional coupon code discount.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:50 am 
Cranky

I've never had blisters with Bogs, and I used to walk 5 or 6 miles at a stretch in them through significant snow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 am 

Ariann wrote:
But because I am cheap for myself I wear my Hunter rain boots for snow too. They aren't warm, but they are totally waterproof and two pairs of synthetic hiking socks on the coldest days serves me just fine for northern nj and lots of outdoor time.

yeah, i got a pair of larger rain boots for this very reason. i had some awesome boots last year that i got from the thrift store (i don't remember the brand) that had a layer of felt-y stuff as a liner, and they were slightly too big, so there was a lot of rubbing, and eventually the plastic bit that meets at the back of my ankle eventually rubbed through the felt. i might investigate to see if i can sew it back up, and then always keep an extra pair of socks with them at all times so there's less rubbing overall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

SuperCarrot...I truly recommend the faux moleskin stuff that sticks to your skin. You can reuse them (usually only once) as long as they still stick. My boots fit my feet well, but I have super small ankles so that's probably why they rub like a BUGGER!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:11 pm 

for a while i was using the johnson+johnson waterproof tape. sometimes even the paper tape works well. (depending on the situation, of course.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 pm 

thinking of getting these bogs, they are new: http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/ ... #recommend anyone have them? kinda digging the red.

also looking at these lately: http://www.davrain.com/collections/shop-all?page=2 anyone have any experience with dav brand? they seem vegan friendly - i emailed them, have yet to hear back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:32 pm 

icy wrote:
thinking of getting these bogs, they are new: http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/ ... #recommend anyone have them? kinda digging the red.

also looking at these lately: http://www.davrain.com/collections/shop-all?page=2 anyone have any experience with dav brand? they seem vegan friendly - i emailed them, have yet to hear back.

Wanted to ETA that the Dav people did write back to my query if their shoes were vegan friendly, saying "unfortunately, they are not".

So that's that then. Bogs for me!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Bummer! The DAG motto style were cute. Oh wells. I hope you like the bogs--I've heard good things!