| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan pomade/hair wax
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

okay, i've whined about this before but not in great detail, so here goes:

back in the day, i used aveda control paste and i looooooved it. i originally started using it when i cut my hair rather short 300 years ago (think gwyneth paltrow in sliding doors), but then even as i grew it out into a bob, i still used it and got great results.

when my hair is super long (i get bored with my hair so i tend to grow it way out, then get bored again and lop it off, and repeat the cycle ad infinitum), i don't use a product like that, but when it's short enough to be free of my shoulders, i like(d) it for texture and hold and slight "messiness."

after aveda went to china i stopped using all of their products cold turkey, but i never found a good replacement for control paste. it has a pretty unique texture, i guess, and therein lies the problem. my only sort-of replacement has been giovanni wicked texture, but it's quite different: VERY sticky and a different consistency altogether. i get okay results with it (certainly better than nothing), but it's not really what i'm looking for.

a few weeks ago i chopped off my long hair, so i'm back to an angled bob, and i'm back to my search for a wonderful perfect pomade/wax. (i bought a thing of giovanni in the meantime, but i really hope to find something better.) here is how i usually do my hair: after getting out of the shower, i do all of my face crepe, makeup, teeth brushing, and so on before doing my hair. when it's at the still-wet-but-not-dripping stage, then, i sometimes put in a leave-in conditioner/heat protectant spray (sometimes not), and then i put in mousse. i blow it all dry, and then i use the paste/wax as a "finisher" to kind of scrunch through my roots (to get some lift that hopefully will hold) and then piece through the rest of my hair to rough it up just a bit (so it won't look like a smooth helmet, har har).

i have tried yarok's feed your do styling paste, but it's sort of the opposite problem of the giovanni wicked texture -- it's very smooth/creamy, and almost no hold/friction/messiness to speak of.

so... just checking in to see if anyone also uses/wants a product like this, and if you have any ideas? in my internet searching i stumbled across this stuff, which apparently is vegan, and it sounds kind of awesome:

imperial matte pomade paste

it looks to be marketed almost exclusively to dudes who rock pompadours and such, and i haven't found any more-girly-haircut-reviews of it. is anyone here familiar with their stuff? would you recommend it?

Post subject: Re: vegan pomade/hair wax
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Have you tried the Lush Dirty hair cream? It smells kind of dudely, but not super strong, like I don't notice the fragrance in my hair at all, and I like it a lot for piecey but non-crispy texture.

A lot of the Paul Mitchell Mitch men's line products are in the wax/paste family and the majority of them are vegan (all their vegan products are labeled on their site, just click details on the individual product pages), the downside is they're very strongly fragranced, and in my opinion smell like bug spray, BUT a lot of people love the Mitch products, so I could be an anomaly. I do like the performance of the Mitch products, just not the smell.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 am 

thanks for the reminder about LUSH! i tried it once, but my hair was still long then so i didn't really need it, and then the sample dried out. whoops! i can't really remember what i thought about the consistency or anything... i'll grab another sample the next time i go back.

thanks for the heads up about paul mitchell, too. i haven't ever tried their stuff, but i looked online and there's a salon near me that supposedly carries the mitch line. i'll see if i can go in and sniff the reformer; it seems like it might be closest to what i'm looking for, but you're right--i'm seeing a lot of complaints about the smell in these online reviews.

i'm still pretty fascinated by these imperial barber products... there's a salon two blocks away(!) that is on their website, so fingers crossed that they actually carry them. i feel like i basically need to stick my fingers in everything first to see if it's worth buying, ha!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:44 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I love the dirty hair cream, and I lve the scent and don't find it overly masculine smelling. The also have a new, softer hold product that is more like a light gel if you are looking for texture over hold/shaping.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

my dude uses dirty - it smells rather strong to me but then again i find herbal smells strong, not a bad thing. he was using (and is out of) a watermelon/fruity (think jolly ranchers) pomade he bought at a vegan store. i will ask him if he remembers the brand - after googling i cannot find it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:45 pm 

thanks! i've actually heard that the imperial one smells kind of like watermelon... maybe that's the one? fingers crossed, heh.

i've used dirty the past two days and i'm not sure if i'm into it. it's creamier than the aveda control paste, but if i emulsify it in my hands enough it does create some friction/stickiness. i used more today than i did yesterday, and i got better results, but i'm not sure if it's my Magical Solution just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:57 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

bluedawg wrote:
thanks! i've actually heard that the imperial one smells kind of like watermelon... maybe that's the one? fingers crossed, heh.

i do believe it is it! he liked it a lot - we just have not been up to the store to pick it up.

the thing with dirty is i notice how heavy it is - i am talking second person. my boyfriend's hair looks rather oily if not washed daily while using it. he has finer black hair so it is shiny to begin with.

i know sally's had a vegan pomade/wax but he did not care for it. i think there was not enough hold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:53 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:
bluedawg wrote:

i do believe it is it! he liked it a lot - we just have not been up to the store to pick it up.

ooh, good to know! i think i might just bite the bullet and order it from amazon. i'm just getting too curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i read this company is vegan - cannot find much info besides them being in a lot of mags right now:

http://www.randco.com/

they have a few waxes/pomade things!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

C.O Bigelow carries R + Co, I looked at some of the ingredients online, they're definitely not all vegan (I had read that too, it's why I was looking at their stuff).

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:21 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

sorry about that. i read it was vegan - ugh, hate when that happens.

not to thread jack but is there a list of c.o - vegan products out there? the line is at target and i like finding new stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't seen one, only the same thing you did, the false info that they're all vegan. I do think they're all vegetarian if you wanted to double check that, in which case you'd only have to look for the obvious offenders.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh wait, C.O Bigelow? I misread/thought you meant R+Co. I'm not sure about C.O Bigelow.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:25 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Oh wait, C.O Bigelow? I misread/thought you meant R+Co. I'm not sure about C.O Bigelow.

ya, i did say r+co, but you mentioned C.O Bigelow - I know some products from the store/line are vegan but have not found much in the way of answers.