| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternatives to Bras Post-Surgery?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

I underwent abdominal surgery, and I can no longer wear bras, even without underwire, without having significant pain. I've spoken to my PCP and GI doctor, and the consensus is that it is nerve damage and scar tissue, which happens to be located where the front band of a bra and underwire would rest. I am currently wearing some padded camisoles that I found at Target, but wondered if anyone could recommend any additional options. The cups on the padded camisoles are still fairly thin and can be lumpy, even though I've tried adding additional padded inserts. I can't go without a bra at work, and wearing something like a pasty (sp?) would not be an option--I've also tried what I've heard referred to as a chicken cutlet, but those did not work either. Thanks!

This is what I am currently wearing as a stop-gap: http://m.target.com/p/women-s-sleep-cam ... 41982912|2

Post subject: Re: Alternatives to Bras Post-Surgery?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:14 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I would wear looser clothing and go braless. I sometimes do it when I wear camis and button down shirts.

Someone I knew who was in a similar situation to yours started wearing blazers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:19 am 
WRETCHED

Have you tried loose shape wear? They tend to be thicker than those camisoles but they are designed to be worn under clothes, you could go a size larger to make them really loose but they come in various 'firmness'. I'd go for a light control one.

Something like this
http://www.target.com/p/maidenform-self ... dSlot=_3_7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:13 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Do sports bras still irritate you? That would be my suggestion. I think a big factor in it is how much support you think you need. If you have a smaller cup size (A or B) you may feel comfortable bra-less, but if you have larger breasts I can see why you'd want an alternative and possibly need more support.

I'm only a B cup myself and so I'm able to buy off-the-rack cheapo bras with less support at places like Target (I also despise underwire and haven't worn one regularly for as long as I've been old enough to buy my own bras). I usually go for the soft, unstructured ones that have, at the most, an elasticated rib band. On the Target site they're categorized as 'bralettes'. That seems like it would be a good fit since they're essentially like the 'bra' part of the lined cami you linked to, but without being attached to a tank.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

gee, I'm sorry. That sounds like a bummer. I have pretty tiny boobs and I'm still so much more comfortable with a bra. I usually use sports bras (but I am also a yoga teacher, so that counts as "professional" attire. ha ha.

I really like the all cotton ones from Marie Wright. Also, Patagonia makes a really nice (no underwire) stretchy bra that is light and actually gives some support (not just smoosh).

Sometimes I wear a stretchy but just-tight-enough tank top under my other clothes, which acts kinda like a camisole. A lot of yoga/active wear companies make yoga tank tops with lined &/or padded shelf bras. Those might be a little more supportive than a light camisole, but still comfortable? Prana, patagonia, athleta?

good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:16 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thank you for these suggestions! Yes, unfortunately, I can't get away without one. I have tried a few different sports bras, including one that zipped in the front, but the bands were always too tight. I may have to go the blazer or chunky sweater route, but I will definitely check out all of these suggestions. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:49 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Your clinic/hospital may have a recommendation for shops that sell bras for mastectomy and other post-breast surgery patients. Your situation is a little different, but perhaps similar enough as many breast surgery patients may have scar tissue in the area you are describing. Since it sounds like this might be a more long-term problem, it might be worthwhile to have something custom made.

A few more ideas:

There are lots of wireless non-sports bras out there these days -- what about something like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/waco ... &LinkType=

I am also vaguely remembering some kind of "shaping camisole" I saw once that wasn't supposed to be tight like spanx, but would have provided a little more shaping and support -- maybe like some of the "medium control" ones here: http://www.barenecessities.com/Shaping- ... ,34146.htm

Another idea, which has no band around the rib cage: http://www.mycomfortbra.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:11 am 
WRETCHED

I was just at the store and saw that the Genie bra now has a camisole version. I'm a fan of the genie bra because they are non binding but the camisole version might work well with you as well, again you may need to size up depending on your comfort level.