| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dehumidifiers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Talk to me about them. I live in the Pacific Northwest and in a daylight basement. We have single pane windows. It's only been two weeks, and already I feel the effects of the moisture creeping in myself, and can see it in my roommate.

What kind of dehumidifier do you use? I had no idea they were so expensive! Our places have always come with one. My roommate has a tiny one that works OK in bedrooms, but we need a larger one for the main room/kitchen area. Since our old place is being torn down, I've taken the one we had in our bathroom there (no fan. super fancy place.) but it's old and loud and I really hate it and want a new, clean, quieter one before spring.

Also, I have guitars and a piano, so it's important for it to stay between 45 - 50% humidity, meaning a properly working hygrometer built in would be ideal, though I can just buy one from work if I have to. I really, really hate the idea of spending beyond $150.00 on a freaking dehumidifier, but for my health, I'll deal if I have to.

So, uh, tell me about your dehumidifiers!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: Dehumidifiers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We have a whole house system now, but we used to go through various models. You get what you pay for. Also, if you have one that is too small, you'll be emptying it constantly, and worse, it will stop working until you do empty it, which isn't great overnight or if you are gone a lot.

I'd fork out for a good one. Maybe check craigslist etc for good used ones. I think the important thing is to make sure it came handle the necessary square footage.

I don't remember the brand of the one we had before: I want to say it was either LG or Whirlpool. We got it on sale at Best Buy (or maybe Home Depot). It worked great for years in a large basement after the string of lesser models.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

I feel like FootFace posted once upon a time about using a dehumidifier. Maybe pm him?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'd say getting it used from CL could be fine. I've got one that way - it works well I think. I mean, it fills up with water and stops itself at customizable humidity %'s... No idea if it actually makes a difference on my health, but, eh, I live in a basement - I figure I just need it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:10 am 
Impressive boner

I use one for when the cold rooms get a bit damp and also for drying my laundry. It's an inexpensive model (UK catalogue store's own basic brand, about £100) that switches itself off when it's full, but I don't mind that. It's a really handy piece of equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:10 am 
WRETCHED

We bought ours from Costco but we only use it during the summer. It has a bin which collects water or it has the ability to drain if you can put it near a drain. We empty the bin daily during the summer. I think this is our current one ($188 from Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FAD504 ... 00AU7GYXA/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

They're worth the investment. Ours are the portable ones on wheels. In the summer I empty it three times a day before going to bed. Getting the moisture out of the air lowers the heat in the house in the summer and the damp cold in the winter. We have an old drafty house so we use 4 of them. Got them at various thrift stores over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i wish i could find one for $150!!! here they are desperately necessary but not available. i have a tiny office-sized one i brought in last year but it is only really good for closets during the mold season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We have an LG one for our basement that we're happy with. It was about $200 IIRC.