| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CURLY hair products
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I am always battling to turn my frizzy/wavy/curly hair into curly/curly/curly hair. I am fairly new to hair products, as I don't often have long hair, but I am growing it out and it is now starting to pass shoulder-length for the first time in years. I still haven't found the perfect product, but I have been using A'Kin leave-in conditioner and North American Hemp Co serum to try and tame frizz, to reasonable success. I tend to go to bed with my hair wet as it makes it curlier, plus I'm too lazy to dry it before I go to bed.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I will plug DevaCurl products foreverrrrrrrr. Except I don't like their gel. Also you should check out naturally curly.com and get sucked down that rabbit hole.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Another vote for DevaCurl. I got a sample of the (new?) SuperCream recently and it's awesome, but maybe a little heavy for wavy hair. I also like the Paul Mitchell mousse a lot.

And yeah, the Naturally Curly site is a great resource (if kind of daunting). There are also really helpful reviews of tons of products on their CurlMart store site. If you know your curl type, you can scan the reviews for what people with similar hair love/hate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:37 am 
Tofu Pup

I LOVE the curl line from Shea Moisture with coconut and hibiscus. I live in Holland, so I'm not sure were to get this in the UK (maybe Amazon?), but I get it from http://www.supernaturals.nl.

Another tip: do not go to bed with wet hair. Your hair is very fragile when wet, so this will lead to more breakage for sure. A light leave-in cream always works for me as well (applied first on wet and then on dry hair).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 pm 

Do you dry your hair in the morning? I have to wash mine at night because it takes like 6 hours to air dry (or 1 hour with diffuser but I don't want to get up an extra hour early).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:06 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I use and swear by lush's R+B as a leave-in conditioner after showers but everyone here who has tried it on my recommendation has been disappointed so I think it may just be a magic my-hair trick.

if someone you know has some and is willing to let you try it: do! but I'm afraid to rec it officially because it's expensive for something that only seems to work for like 20% of people.

oh, other tips that have helped me:

-Try to rinse out your conditioner and have the last temperature water that touches your hair in the shower be cold or at least cool (this goes out the window in the winter for me but I also wear a lot of hats in the winter so it doesn't matter)

-I don't use heat on my hair at all, mine is super prone to drying out, and honestly I'm not a pro at wielding a blow dryer so it's not worth the damage for me.

-hair claws have reduced my hair-up-style related breakage by 50%, plus they make me look like i'm trying approximately 33% more than a big messy bun on the top of my head.

-silk-feeling (obvs not real silk) pillow cases and/or tying your hair up like a pineaple in a kerchief will change your morning so much. http://www.curlynikki.com/2013/06/how-to-pineapple-natural-hair-nightly.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:28 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Can you all recommend a product for my slightly curly hair? When I let it air dry and don't comb through it, it's wavy with a small amount of curl, it's also very fine in texture, and I have a lot of hair, so it's heavy. I want a product that I can just leave in and will keep the wave/curls, not something I have to fuss with a lot. Thanks! And nothing "crunchy".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 am 

Lush R+B was awful on my hair but your mileage may vary! I have 2c/3a curls for those that follow the curl type thing. I totally agree with boober that cold/cool water rinsing your hair makes a huge difference! My hair isn't long enough to pineapple but I have heard great things about it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My hair is SO frustrating, because a product that works like a dream today may do nothing for me tomorrow. Or maybe it'll work for a few months, then suddenly make it look like I showered with olive oil. I'm one that R+B didn't work for, but I have super fine and thin hair - I think maybe it needs either thicker or more coarse hair?

I wish I had a good recommendation, but everything in my current stash is just not doing it anymore. Guess it's time to try something new again.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:54 am 

I had my hair cut a few weeks ago and my stylist that used to use Deva Curl has switched to Earth Tones Naturals. It's a Canadian company and I liked how my hair turned out. They're cruelty free and I think vegan but I am going to email to find out for 100% sure. When I run out of my Deva Curl no poo and conditioner I think I will switch.