| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: origins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i thought there was an origins thread, but i couldn't find one, so i'm starting one. woo origins!

tonight i went shopping and tOtally fell for the black friday gift sets, which made me feel a little like a sucker, but money-wise, i made out like a bandit. lots of ginger goodness in there, plus an eye cream i'd been wanting to buy anyway.

i actually went to pick up a bottle of eye makeup remover (love!) but while i was there, i decided to ask if there were any lip products without beeswax. i had thought that *all* of them had it, but i was pleasantly surprised--three of their lip gloss products are beeswax-free: liquid lip color, liquid lip shimmer, and once upon a shine. i bought a tube of liquid lip color, and i really like it so far--it's minty!

Post subject: Re: origins
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i keep wanting to try the mosscara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:55 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I use their Checks and Balances cleanser, the Perfect World SPF 25 moisturizer, and the Ginzing eye cream. Oh, and I have one of their mascaras, which I like a lot, but I can't remember the name of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fupapack wrote:
i keep wanting to try the mosscara

i think you are thinking of aveda? i use aveda mosscara, and i love it!

origins has vegan mascara too, though... i think they are called fringe benefits and full story.

in other news, i was just looking more closely at one of the sets i bought, and i think i might have to take it back. i was reading the ingredients for two of the things in the box (starting over eye cream and starting over moisturizer), and "cholesterol" is listed as an ingredient in both products. what the? as far as i know that is only from animal sources, only ever, ever, ever, right? i feel like that's just vegan 101. how the heck is there "cholesterol" as an ingredient but i'm not seeing anything else that i easily identify as animal-based? (granted, i'm not fantastic with the sciencey names, so...)

i'm going to send an email and see what they say.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

you're right...
i do want to try their mascara i only ever use elf and manic panic and they are super flaky.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really liked the Once Upon a Shine lip glosses, but it's been a few years since I tried them. I read on the site that they reformulated them though, and people seem to not like them as much now.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:09 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Although I've gotten out of the habit of wearing makeup, Origins is my favorite vegan-friendly cosmetics company. I uber-love the Fringe Benefits mascara, especially when combined with their white lash primer stuff.

I also highly recommend the spot remover and foundation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i still haven't received a reply from them, and it's been 8 days now. do you think i should re-submit the question (re: cholesterol as an ingredient) or does that make me a pest?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

No please resubmit. I love Origins and would like to know as well. I wish all their make up was vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I would ask again too, 8 days is a long time for them not to respond. Also I thought the only thing I had to watch out for at Origins was beeswax, so I hope that's still true.

Anyhoo, I just went there yesterday! I picked up the Stay Tuned Foundation and the Peace of Mind pepperminty stress relief stuff (don't know if it works, but we'll see when I'm at work this week). They sent me a $25 coupon, so I only paid 7 bucks! I also picked up some moisturizer and eye cream samples.

I love the Quick, Hide! concealer and the Gloomaway body scrub (which smells so amazing). I went through the scrub too quickly though, so I haven't bought it again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i sent the question again (and mentioned that fact that i'd been waiting a week for a response), so we'll see how it goes. fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

this morning i got an email of the 'stay tuned' variety:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact Origins.

We did receive your original inquiry. I have escalated your concern to our chemist and I will notify you as soon as I receive an answer. I appreciate your patience while awaiting a response.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact Origins.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My sister just started working at Origins and I'm loving all the samples she's given me. I love all things ginger, and checks and balances is my new go-to cleanser.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

finally got a reply to the cholesterol question:

Quote:
In response to your inquiry, the cholesterol in our Starting Over Moisturizer and Starting Over Eye Cream is plant derived.

so, i guess that means i'm good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I keep going back to Origins' pressed face powder after having brief affairs with other brands. This last affair with Josie Maran's so-called transparent powder ended up turning my face orange. ORIGINS POWDER 4 LYFE.

And their Brighter By Nature face moisturizer with SPF 35 makes my face feel incredible. And it lasts forever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

alice1drland wrote:
I keep going back to Origins' pressed face powder after having brief affairs with other brands.

Do you use the All and Nothing pressed powder? I was thinking of trying it but skeptical that one shade could work ok for all skin tones.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:19 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
I keep going back to Origins' pressed face powder after having brief affairs with other brands.

Do you use the All and Nothing pressed powder? I was thinking of trying it but skeptical that one shade could work ok for all skin tones.

Nope, Silk Screen is what I use. The Josie Maran stuff that turned my face orange was supposedly for all skin tones, so I was kind of scarred by my experience and chose not to go that route again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

alice1drland wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Nope, Silk Screen is what I use. The Josie Maran stuff that turned my face orange was supposedly for all skin tones, so I was kind of scarred by my experience and chose not to go that route again.

Orange face is exactly what I was afraid of! I'm going to look at shades for Silk Screen next time I'm over at the mall, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:24 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
Orange face is exactly what I was afraid of! I'm going to look at shades for Silk Screen next time I'm over at the mall, thanks.

Yeah, how does orange face even HAPPEN? Is it something to do with fair skin? Or is my face radioactive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It has to do with your skin tone. You prob need a powder/ foundation that has more pink in it. I have had the best luck finding a good fit when I let the make up counter person figure it out for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 am 

Yeah, I had the lady at Origins help me and she did a pretty good job at matching my skin tone, which is Oh-My-God-How-Are-You-Even-Alive,-You're-So-Pale. That's a real color, I swear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

after quitting smoking i feel like i should treat myself to some Origins stuff. I think i need a new mascara...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i got a new big ol' bottle of ginger essence and a big ol' bar of ginger bar soap for christmas. my parents are the best.

meanwhile, i've been using the cholesterol moisturizer :) and i quite like it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:44 am 
Tofu Pup

This is so exciting - does this mean Origins is now vegan?! I had totally discounted using their products in the past as they were owned by Estee Lauder, so is this no longer the case? I really hope so as I am gagging to try a decent skincare brand! I've been using M&S skincare for ages and really appreciate their strong stance against animal testing but their moisturisers are slowly killing my skin...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Not all of Origins products are vegan. I *think* the only things you need to look out for are bee-related, but don't quote me on that.

Estee Lauder says they don't test: http://www.esteelauder.com/cms/customer ... ompanytest

"The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. is committed to the elimination of animal testing. We are equally committed to consumer health and safety, and bringing to market products that comply with applicable regulations in every country in which our products are sold. We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to test on our behalf, except when required by law. We evaluate our finished products in clinical tests on volunteer panels. Estée Lauder fully supports the development and global acceptance of non-animal testing alternatives. To this end, the Company works extensively with the industry at large and the global scientific community to research and fund these alternatives. "