| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:52 pm 
Offline
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
I love hats. Particularly cloches and bowlers. The problem, of course, is that most of them are made of wool! I have a $300 cloche sitting my closet that I don't wear anymore because it's wool and it makes me feel like a bad vegan. So tell me, where can I find synthetic hats? I know there are some fabric cloches on etsy, but honestly I don't really care for them that much. I'm looking for something more structured than that.

Has anyone come across any vegan hats? I've checked all the usual suspects (ModCloth, PlasticLand, Fred Flare) and they all have wool hats. Anyone? I like my beret and all, but I'd really like some stylish hat options for fall!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:19 pm 
Online
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Thessaly wrote:
I love hats. Particularly cloches and bowlers. The problem, of course, is that most of them are made of wool! I have a $300 cloche sitting my closet that I don't wear anymore because it's wool and it makes me feel like a bad vegan. So tell me, where can I find synthetic hats? I know there are some fabric cloches on etsy, but honestly I don't really care for them that much. I'm looking for something more structured than that.

Has anyone come across any vegan hats? I've checked all the usual suspects (ModCloth, PlasticLand, Fred Flare) and they all have wool hats. Anyone? I like my beret and all, but I'd really like some stylish hat options for fall!


I don't suppose this is very helpful, but, honestly, I would still wear it. I gave away some Coach purses that I had, but 3 years into being vegan, I am still using my useful pregan stuff, even including an ancient pair of Ugg boots. I already had them, they are broken in, nobody else is likely to want them at this point, they are toasty warm and servicable, so I figure that any discomfort over still wearing them when snow is piled up outside is worth not dumping them into a landfill and buying yet a new pair of boots. Ditto my 10yr old Birkenstocks. I'm going to have to replace those very soon, but until then, I don't feel that dumping them does veganism any good. I suppose we all draw our own lines with pregan stuff.

When I weeded stuff out of my closet, I mostly just got rid of stuff that I wouldn't have to replace unless it was something that could be happily rehomed like sweaters.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:51 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
I've been wanting to knit a cloche hat myself, but I need to find a pattern that wouldn't require felting, better off learning to crochet...

But if you're not a knitter, I found better results looking for "acrylic cloche -wool" than "vegan cloche"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Guerillagranny ... id=5193942
http://www.etsy.com/listing/51261422/cl ... -crocheted

And this brings up a huge list of crochet cloches, which you can check and see for yarn type, since its not felted it doesn't necessarily have to be wool!

http://www.thefind.com/apparel/info-crochet-cloche-hat

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:30 am 
Offline
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
lavawitch wrote:
Thessaly wrote:
I love hats. Particularly cloches and bowlers. The problem, of course, is that most of them are made of wool! I have a $300 cloche sitting my closet that I don't wear anymore because it's wool and it makes me feel like a bad vegan. So tell me, where can I find synthetic hats? I know there are some fabric cloches on etsy, but honestly I don't really care for them that much. I'm looking for something more structured than that.

Has anyone come across any vegan hats? I've checked all the usual suspects (ModCloth, PlasticLand, Fred Flare) and they all have wool hats. Anyone? I like my beret and all, but I'd really like some stylish hat options for fall!


I don't suppose this is very helpful, but, honestly, I would still wear it. I gave away some Coach purses that I had, but 3 years into being vegan, I am still using my useful pregan stuff, even including an ancient pair of Ugg boots. I already had them, they are broken in, nobody else is likely to want them at this point, they are toasty warm and servicable, so I figure that any discomfort over still wearing them when snow is piled up outside is worth not dumping them into a landfill and buying yet a new pair of boots. Ditto my 10yr old Birkenstocks. I'm going to have to replace those very soon, but until then, I don't feel that dumping them does veganism any good. I suppose we all draw our own lines with pregan stuff.

When I weeded stuff out of my closet, I mostly just got rid of stuff that I wouldn't have to replace unless it was something that could be happily rehomed like sweaters.


You make a good point, and I do still wear some pregan shoes. But I think this bothers me because I haven't been able to find a single vegan replacement for that style of hat. So there is no replacing it with a vegan alternative when worn out finally. But at the same time, I did spend the money on it and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to just have it sitting there in a hat box all year.

Shy Mox, thanks for the links. I've had knit ones before, but in my ideal world I'd be able to find one out of a synthetic wool felt. My old one is more like this style Image But I haven't been able to find anything with a solid construction like this. I suppose the other alternative is straw, but that's not really ideal for fall/winter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4619
Location: Philadelphia
I've been trying to find a cloche like that (minus the flower) forever but everything is made of wool! It's super frustrating. Even cloches at el cheapo places that can usually be counted on for accidentally vegan stuff are made of wool. So I have no advice, but I will be watching this thread.

Honestly, I would still wear the pre-vegan wool hat. I have some leather boots from way pre-vegan that I still wear hiking sometimes. If it's not worn out I'm not going to throw it away.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:42 pm 
Offline
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
amandabear wrote:
I've been trying to find a cloche like that (minus the flower) forever but everything is made of wool! It's super frustrating. Even cloches at el cheapo places that can usually be counted on for accidentally vegan stuff are made of wool. So I have no advice, but I will be watching this thread.


I was debating trying an Etsy request to see if someone could make me one, but I don't know if it's even possible to make a vegan felted wool hat? Do the synthetics wools allow for that? I wish Vaute or some good vegan company would figure this out for us!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:45 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4619
Location: Philadelphia
I think you can felt acrylic, but I've never tried it.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:33 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
Thessaly wrote:
amandabear wrote:
I've been trying to find a cloche like that (minus the flower) forever but everything is made of wool! It's super frustrating. Even cloches at el cheapo places that can usually be counted on for accidentally vegan stuff are made of wool. So I have no advice, but I will be watching this thread.


I was debating trying an Etsy request to see if someone could make me one, but I don't know if it's even possible to make a vegan felted wool hat? Do the synthetics wools allow for that? I wish Vaute or some good vegan company would figure this out for us!


Acrylic doesn't felt like animal yarn does, the only time I've seen non-animal fibers felted it was done with felting needles, and then it was just done to a handful of yarn, not a finished knitting project, so I'm not sure how it works out. There was a topic about it on the old boards but I can't recall anyone trying it out.

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:42 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: MA
The only non-knitted vegan cloche I've seen is this one from Kangol:

Image

I haven't seen it in person though. They have one made from a bamboo blend and one made from corn (?).

And for other, non-cloche styles, Coal has a bunch, many of which are made from acrylic yarn. (But a couple of the otherwise vegan ones have a suede label, which is stupid).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:07 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4619
Location: Philadelphia
A couple of things I found on the interweb:

Image

Black cloche from Forever 21 - I may have to pick this one up.

Image

Paper cloche from Free People - not winter-appropriate but very cute.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:27 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2200
Location: Austin, TX
I have a vegan hat from goorin bros that is vegan that I love but their site doesn't list all of the fabrics they so it would be better to find a store that carries them where you love or call them so you could check.
This straw one appears vegan
Image
and I really like the one I got from Flood Clothing but the one I have doesn't have a lot of structure.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
Offline
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
Ooh, that Forever21 one does look nice!

I'm also digging this fedora, which looks vegan from the fabric texture at least http://www.goorin.com/hats/hats/junebug


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:51 am 
Offline
FAYGO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1183
Location: New York
I just googled "vegan cloche" and it brought me to this thread. I'm only seeing wool ones on Forever 21s site now. Has anyone found anything since last month?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm 
Offline
Santa is a WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm
Posts: 1035
Location: PDX
Yeah all the forever 21 ones are wool... :(

_________________
"Produce pot pie is my loved. I suchlike it with gust pastry on top tho', not a dry crust."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm 
Offline
FAYGO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1183
Location: New York
Amy wrote:
The only non-knitted vegan cloche I've seen is this one from Kangol:

Image

I haven't seen it in person though. They have one made from a bamboo blend and one made from corn (?).

And for other, non-cloche styles, Coal has a bunch, many of which are made from acrylic yarn. (But a couple of the otherwise vegan ones have a suede label, which is stupid).

I just got off the phone with a guy in the Kangol store. They no longer make the sweetcorn cloche, but they still have the bamboo, but neither is really warm. He said they're both more of a summer hat. Who the hell would want to wear a black cloche in the summer?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:32 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18878
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Okay these aren't sexy classy hats but I still want one:

Chthulhu:
Chthulu

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:00 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2820
Location: Boston, MA
I wish I could find a classy vegan winter beret. I had a few years and years ago that were acrylic felt and they looked pretty good, but I never find them anymore. I did order one last year from Amazon but it looked really shitty when I tried it on.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:17 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm
Posts: 378
Location: San Diego
Tofulish wrote:
Okay these aren't sexy classy hats but I still want one:

Chthulhu:
Chthulu


I love this blog!

_________________
"this thread needs some Robyn" - smoothie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:03 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:37 pm
Posts: 1
I was looking for vegan cloche hats too and the best I've found were actually on the Sears website:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?filter=storeOrigin|Sears&viewItems=24&keyword=cloche

I'm specifically talking about the "Trixie" ones; I'm going to see how they look next time I go to the mall....

I really love the ones I saw on the Forever 21 website though, but like others have said, they're all made of wool :'(

I'm going to continue my search, but Sears so far is the best choice I know of :S


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 am 
Offline
FAYGO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1183
Location: New York
PurplePanda wrote:
I was looking for vegan cloche hats too and the best I've found were actually on the Sears website:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?filter=storeOrigin|Sears&viewItems=24&keyword=cloche

I'm specifically talking about the "Trixie" ones; I'm going to see how they look next time I go to the mall....

Ooo! Thanks for the link! Of course, my two favorites from that site were wool, but I'm kind of digging the "Trixie Cloche with Self Buckle". Unfortunately, the nearest Sears seems to be kind of a bisque to get to. If you get to go before I do, let us know if they're worth the trek, please?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Kansas
www.clockworkcouture.com has "the thrifty gent's bowler" which is vegan. They also do hat consultations but they've been slow to get back with me. I'll be watching the thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 am 
Offline
Spent a night at the Bates Motel
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm
Posts: 2089
Location: detroit, mi
Hmm, I've been crocheting beanies, haven't tried crocheting a cloche yet. After I finish the projects I've already committed to, I'll see what I can do!

_________________
I'm still buddhist & I still love cupcakes.
My crochet blog! http://threadbythreadzen.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:54 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1954
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I have had no issues finding vegan hats here. There are plenty of acrylic hats and cloches available here for some reason. What I'd REALLY like, is a decent quality vegan hat. Well, that and an awesome party where I could wear it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:21 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
This reminds me of how badly I want a fedora again. I still wear the wool hats I have (occasionally) but I have yet to find a replacement for my awesome fedora that I sadly ruined wearing it out in the rain because I wanted to be all JAMES CAGNEY GANGSTER IN RAIN kind of cool. The fedoras at Target just don't cut it.

ETA: http://www.bravegentleman.com/hats/black-sheep.html - this is close, but... $180, seriously? I'd be afraid to wear it.

_________________
Glad wrap! ... it's just a nice, friendly name. Like a suffocating, plastic hug. - Erinnerung

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where do I buy vegan hats?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm
Posts: 231
Location: Illinois
Don't forget to check out the regular stores like Target. My husband bought me a very chic and cheap, espresso-colored, corduroy fedora in the men's dept. It's my favorite hat and it actually fits my large skull.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer