| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Etsy and Ethical Production
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I've been looking at bags on Etsy because I've recently started a "real" job and I need a bag that is big enough to carry gym stuff, lunch, etc but is also professional (so no backpacks or duffels). I've found some really great bags, but I got to thinking about ethical production and wonder how people figure out what shops to support.

I've just noticed a few companies that are selling what appear to be really nice bags for much less than I would expect, and these companies are located in parts of the world that aren't exactly known for having any kind of positive track record on labour rights. So I'm made a little leery, and want to be careful about where my money is going, and thus what practices I'm supporting.

How do you folks who are more experienced in the world of etsy-buying vet vendors?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: Etsy and Ethical Production
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:05 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

There are a lot of resellers on etsy selling things that are not handmade. If it seems too cheap, there may be a reason. I tend to stick with people I know or look into their policies, bio, info, etc. If you have anyone in particular you have questions about, feel free to pm me and I can let you know what I think.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree with Panda Also, look at the reviews, and see if the vendors have blogs or twitter accounts and you can sometimes get a sense. Fyi, when I got my first real gotta-look-professional job, I got one of these: http://www.etsy.com/shop/moop?ref=top_trail I'm totally in love years later, and it's held together beautifully.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I definitely stay away from sellers in places like Thailand and Korea who have low prices and give little information in their bios.

I really like my Pansy Maiden bags. She makes a large "weekender" bag that I've been lusting after.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Can we keep all the bag info in here? I am in desperate need of a nice bag.. totally sick of buying shitty ones in thriftstores. :/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:23 am 
<3

I'm surprised you are having trouble finding bags that are made by the Etsy sellers themselves and not resellers. I've looked at bags myself although I do sew. There are a lot of great bags for sale on Etsy. I too would read the profile and look at feedback. I always look thoroughly at a shop before I ever buy anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I definitely stay away from sellers in places like Thailand and Korea who have low prices and give little information in their bios.

I really like my Pansy Maiden bags. She makes a large "weekender" bag that I've been lusting after.

I've looked at the 'weekender' almost every day since you posted this.

I think I'm almost ready to buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love this shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Poise?ref=pr_shop_more. They're a little pricier because she uses only sweatshop-free materials; the bags are always made well and hold up to a lot (I'm not the kindest to my tote-bags--I usually jam them beyond capacity).