| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clarifying shampoo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Any suggestions for a shampoo along the lines of Paul Mitchell's clarifying shampoo? Now that summer is here I am in the pool all the time and need something to get out the chlorine.

Post subject: Re: Clarifying shampoo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:20 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Have you ever did a apple cider vinegar rinse?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have not but tell me more... That takes out chlorine? My hairdresser is the awesome Lebanese mom I never had and instills fear in me - she always yells at me at this time of year! I need to be proactive! So is it just straight vinegar? How long do you leave it in?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Why not use the Paul Mitchell shampoo? It should be vegan, though I haven't checked the specific ingredients, the only animal derived ingredients Paul Mitchell use are beeswax, honey, and keratin, so if it doesn't have any of those it should be fine, and Paul Mitchell are Leaping Bunny certified.

If it's a money issue and you have access to a Sally Beauty Supply the clarifying shampoo in their Ion line is vegan.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hi Jessilikewhoa, no, money isn't necessarily an issue but I will check out the Sally Hansen suggestion - thanks!

Here is the list of ingredients for the shampoo I used. I am not good at scanning non-food items for vegan-ness, but urea and glutamine jumped out at me as red flags and I just wrote off Paul Mitchell... Am I wrong? A quick search on the internet brings up that some of these things are animal derived but its confusing because some will then say "oh but there's a synthetic form too."

One more question - does the leaping bunny mean that the product is vegan? I thought it just indicated no animal testing.

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Mitchell-Cla ... B000UPEDXU

Water (Eau, Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Thiosulfate, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Glutamine, Tyrosine (L-Tyrosine), Leucine, Cysteine HCl, Glycine, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey Root), Plantago Major, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Protein, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Sodium Borate, Sulfated Castor Oil, Magnesium Carbonate (CI 77713), Tetrasodium EDTA, Trisodium EDTA, Disodium EDTA (Copper),

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just to clarify, Sally Beauty Supply and Sally Hansen are two different entities. Sally Beauty Supply is a chain of stores that sell their own products as well as products from other brands, their own products are cruelty free, and Ion is one of their brands, which conveniently labels what in the line is vegan. It's pretty awesome because of that. Sally Hansen are a cosmetic brand owned by Coty who various lists say test on animals, though Coty claims they don't, I err on the side of caution and avoid Sally Hansen products.

Leaping Bunny just means cruelty free, so you have to check ingredients like you have. From correspondence with Paul Mitchell I was told that the only animal derived ingredients they use are beeswax, honey, and keratin, which leads me to believe the urea and glutamine are from plant or synthetic sources, but if you wanted to be 100% certain you could always contact Paul Mitchell by email or phone and ask them. Most companies are good about replying, at least that's been my experience. However, one of the other posters on here has emailed Paul Mitchell in the past and they tried to tell her that with the exception of their products containing keratin that all of their products are vegan friendly, which isn't accurate because of the honey and beeswax. That's been the main thing I've seen mislabelled by companies, insect based ingredients like honey, beeswax, carmine, or shellac in products a company deems vegan.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I had a moment when I typed Sally Hansen. Not enough coffee this morning, lol. There's a Sally's right down the street from me and I never go in, so I'll have to check it out. And thanks for the Paul Mitchell info. I feel a lot better, as that shampoo was pretty awesome.
Thanks for your clarification and explanation - I'm a novice and appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:16 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Apple Cider Vinegar restores your hair to it's natural balance. I mix 3 parts water, to one part ACV. Shampoo my hair, pour on the mix, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse out.