| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Leather and ethics
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

interrobang?! wrote:
But any shoes, leather or pleather or canvas or whatever are going to be limited if you don't have moneys to spend.

Whenever I've been looking, there has been less of a mid-price range selection of non-leather options, and then the next step up is mail-order. I don't know if it's the common perception that leather is a better material, but a lot of the synthetic shoes seem to be patent stilettos or whatever. Not all of them, obviously, because I have managed to buy "sensible" ones (and ended up with bleeding heels a few times).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

interrobang?! wrote:
JimXVX wrote:
You can get canvas shoes for less than a fiver here in the UK easily enough so it's hardly true to say that non-leather footwear is prohibitively expensive. Also, synthetic safety footwear isn't hard to find if you care to look.

links?

Sportsdirect is a place you'll find on the high street of any big town or city in the UK; loads of cheap shoes to be had.

sisterlegume wrote:
I think that discussions like this (namely, claiming that if someone is not absolutely perfect they can't call themselves vegan) keep more people from trying out veganism. And this makes me sad. I don't wear leather, used or otherwise, but I don't have any leather from my pregnant days because it was never my style. I don't feel that this makes me any more vegan, or a better vegan than someone who does otherwise. Calling out people who are trying to do a good thing is not helping animals. Veganism seems like a major lifestyle change to many omnis, and if they get overwhelmed by details like old leather products it can discourage them from even trying.

It's got nothing to do with striving for perfection. One of my kids has to take medicine every day ( & potentially every day for the rest of her life) for a serious health issue & obviously this product will have been tested on animals; this is a world apart from someone choosing to continue to wear leather when it's completely unnecessary & avoidable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I still have a leather belt and a woollen knitted hat (though I think this might be polyester, I haven't checked yet) from my pregan days. Havent' thrown them away and I won't until they're worn out because I'm not going to waste money