| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me about... your totes!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:40 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

So, currently I am carrying all of my school stuff (my laptop, a billion pounds of grading, lesson materials, books, my lunch, my coffee, etc) in a Zipcar reusable grocery bag. All things considered, this bag has taken a beating and does not stop.

However, I am pretty certain that one day soon it WILL stop. The straps are straining, I'm carrying something ridiculous like 20 pounds of junk (at least? my guess), walking a couple miles with it, and I can feel the thing getting ready to break apart. Which I don't want to have happen when it is full of stuff. This morning, I noticed a fork for my lunch had punctured through the bottom of the bag.

EEK.

So, I need a flipping enormous tote bag that isn't stupid expensive and can hold up to carrying a LOT of stuff on a daily basis.

I am thinking about this bag: http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/bu ... e-bag.aspx

Do any of you have totes that you absolutely love that were reasonably priced?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post subject: Re: Tell me about... your totes!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 am 
Semen Strong

Just because of all the weight, have you considered getting a backpack?

I have gotten tote bags, only to find that I get backaches from being unbalanced and then go back to the trusty backpacks that distribute weight better (ideally onto your hips not just one shoulder).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, I kind of hate it, but I definitely have to carry a backpack or else my right shoulder kills me. I have a North Face backpack that I love.

ETA: I have an older version of this: http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-borealis-deep-water-blue-moutain-blue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like Le Sportsac a lot. They can be crazy expensive, but my Marshalls always has a bunch of their stuff cheap.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 am 
Discovered unobtainium

They fail at reasonably price unless you buy a discontinued pattern, but the Vera Bradley bags, as ugly as many are, are sturdy as fork. I used to wear through bags like mad, but those are indestructible even carrying laptop, textbooks, and whatever else I throw in. My main one lasted through 3 YEARS of school year abuse without any damage at all. They are even apparently waterproof, though I'm not sure how.

I've got a messenger, backpack, and ginormous tote and they are all great. College bookstores are good for finding them much cheaper.

Inlike the messenger best because it's easy to distribute the weight evenly. Usually, I arrange it so it rests on the small of my back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

My Food Fight tote has been through hell over the last 3 years, and it's still pretty much as good as new. http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/miscellany-1/totes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'd go with a backpack as well. I love my North Face one (it's pretty water resistant) and I have another one I got at Marshalls for super cheap that has help up well over the years!

I tend to wear out totes and messenger backs faster than backpacks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Baggu has some cute backpacks (among all their other bags). I don't know how sturdy they are, but I have another one of their bags that has held up really well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:52 pm 

I can't remember--do you bike, DC? This one looks COOL: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/timbuk2-mission-pannier-tote-bag-medium~p~3766j/?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Timbuk2_Mission_Pannier_Tote_Bag_-_Medium&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE11&codes-processed=true

Also, Timbuk2 is on Rue La La today, in case you're interested in that. I didn't know they made pannier bags.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have a bucket bag from Harvey seatbelt bags and they also do totes (coveting). They are usually around $100-200, which is a bit of a hit up front, but they last freaking forever. I've known people who have had them for like 10 years or something insane. cause seatbelts just don't die. love these bags

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have this bag which I love:

http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp? ... BRUG423%27

It's not super huge, but it holds a lot of stuff, has plenty of pockets, very durable nylon fabric, and best of all it converts from shoulder bag to crossbody to backpack.

It was expensive, but I figured it better to spend a lot of money on one bag that I love and will last a long time than continuing my previous hunt for the "perfect" bag which involved buying things and then having them fall apart or just not working out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am 

Ooh! I like that bag, Pixel.

DC, which way are you leaning? (Just curious/shopping vicarious through you. What?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:54 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I ended up buying the first from Alternative Outfitters. It should arrive today!

Basically, I really like totes over backpacks for a number of reasons (a major one being easy access to phone/keys/BART pass, and so on) and it's HUGE. Although Pixel's bag is super cute, that would NEVER hold all the stuff I carry! I'm not even sure it would fit my laptop, and the document folder I use to carry all my grading and lessons is even bigger.

I really want to get a seatbelt bag someday--I'm so happy to be reminded of them! But they are WAY out of my price range right now. Even if the bag I buy now wears out in a couple months, that's fine. But right now I'm recovering from the cost of moving across the country, and that's several thousand dollars on my credit card that I want to take care of before I start investing in nice things. Which is sad. But oh well.

I'm thinking the Bungalow tote should be pretty good--they use pretty strong fabric, so it should last me a while, and it looks like it'll hold everything, so I can stop carrying a tote AND a purse. Just one bag. Yay!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I don't know if it's a tote, not quite sure what qualifies something as a tote, but I have a bag I got on holiday, hand woven multicoloured cotton. I love it, it is my baby, I am never parting with it