| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad news about Estee Lauder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use this Beauty Without Cruelty stuff. It's only abour $15, doesn't make my oily skin breakout and lasts forever. With the exception of eye cream, I've never been willing to shell out major dollars for moisturizer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Just sayin'...there's a hole in the market here if any savvy and industrious PPKers feel like starting a cosmetics company.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm really sad about Aveda. We're supposed to be adding companies to the good list as time passes (and people learn shiitake about the awfulness of animal testing), not to the bad list!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Not EL related, but I've had good luck with the Yes to Carrots Moisturizer w/SPF 15. It's the only sunscreen that has worked with my skin(I'm beet red w/in 30 min with others) and it's small enough that I can toss it in my purse if I need to reapply later in the day.

RandiJM wrote:
I'm really sad about Aveda. We're supposed to be adding companies to the good list as time passes (and people learn shiitake about the awfulness of animal testing), not to the bad list!

Truth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Boo! I have soooo much MAC stuff. It's my favoritest ever.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 am 
Ninja Master

GAH I have SO MUCH MAC, I'd say maybe more than 70% of my pro kit is MAC, including the £200 worth that I just bought a week ago. :(

MAC themselves don't test so I will probably still use them, the same with Aveda.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 am 
Discovered unobtainium

baps wrote:
GAH I have SO MUCH MAC, I'd say maybe more than 70% of my pro kit is MAC, including the £200 worth that I just bought a week ago. :(

MAC themselves don't test so I will probably still use them, the same with Aveda.

My problem with this (personally) is that it lets companies get away with pretending to be all warm and fuzzy and profit on presenting that image while they aren't living up to it. I'm especially thinking of L'Oreal / Body Shop here.

I think a large core of the Aveda customer is concerned with these issues. It is hideous to profit from that while not actually living up to it.

Companies need to see an impact on their bottom line when they pull this crepe. If OPI dropped in profitability because of Coty's testing policy, maybe they would rethink their stance.

I'm sure I'm being hypocritical on all sorts of levels, but I have a bigger problem with back sliders than anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

All the news I can find is based on the PETA report. Do I understand it correctly - they are testing because of the laws in China? Is their option to stop selling there until China changes its laws?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I sent a message to Aveda expressing my concern, my up-until-now loyalty to the company and how I won't be able to in good conscience continue if this is true. They haven't written back and that was sent at the time this thread was started, so...I don't know. Aveda hair stuff is some of the only stuff that works on my hair.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 am 
Ninja Master

Vantine wrote:
All the news I can find is based on the PETA report. Do I understand it correctly - they are testing because of the laws in China? Is their option to stop selling there until China changes its laws?

I wonder this too. I think this is the case, it's only where it's required by law and I would think it would be a massive loss to them.

I'm not condoning it and LW, I agree totally. I stopped going in the body shop when they were brought by L'Oreal / stopped buying OPI when they were brought by Coty. I just have way too much MAC stuff to get rid of it. I have spent thousands on it. Aveda I can live without, although I do love their curl cream, but my hair will survive!

Hopefully this will change, if not then going forward I will just have to source my kit products from other brands.

Damn I just remembered how many freaking brands they own!! Don't they own Chanel (cosmetics) too? And Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Clinique... goddammit. Edit: oh motherfuck they own smashbox, origins, jo malone, La Mer, prescriptives... there's loads!

Edit 2: no, they don't own chanel! phew.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I wasn't criticizing you baps. Sorry if my quoting you made it seem as if I was. I was just trying to explain why the Aveda thing really frosts me if this is actually true.

I won't get rid of anything that I already have either. I got a bunch of shampoo for christmas, and just bought moisturizer for my mom (I literally paid my rent in Aveda products this month--hah).

Chanel is distributed by Chanel, so no hidden parent there. That would crush me. I love me my nail polish and glossimers.

MAC does some pretty nice stuff with their Viva Glam products, so it really sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 am 
Ninja Master

No no it didn't, it's fine and I agree with you.

I am really disappointed about MAC, especially as I get a discount with them! This is the problem with these massive corporations buying everything they can get their greedy hands on!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The only thing I own from any of those companies is an eye cream from Origins, but this still sucks balls. I know a lot of cruelty-free makeup artists rely on MAC, and I don't think they have an equal for pressed eyeshadows that are cruelty-free (except maybe Urban Decay, but I personally wouldn't know the difference).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Is there anything wrong with Trader's Joe's Facial Moisturizer with SPF? That's what I use, and I thought it was not tested on animals...

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/show ... /TraderJoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

so do you think it's better to write to aveda and origins specifically, or just to estee lauder? or all of them? i have sooooo many aveda products around here it's not even funny, and i have a lot of origins, too. i'm really really mad about all of this crepe but i'm not sure who to yell at for best results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Aubade wrote:
Is there anything wrong with Trader's Joe's Facial Moisturizer with SPF? That's what I use, and I thought it was not tested on animals...

No, nothing wrong with it, but I've used it before and it isn't half as nice as Origins. Plus Origins' SPF moisturizer has a higher SPF, which probably means nothing but apparently I buy into it. I want something that's on-par with Origins' quality AND is cruelty free. That's my big issue, personally, but it may be different for other folks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't see a corporation giving up the Chinese market right now. I read that Mary Kay is trying to get the Chinese government to change their laws.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Aubade wrote:

I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sucks so bad because I have so many Origins facial products and really like them. I am going to start trying new things again I suppose. I bought some Giovanni dtox system facial moisturizer today. It was only $6.99 and gets good reviews. Compared to $45 a jar for my Origins stuff I am hoping my face will like this. Problem is my skin is dry so I need to look for ultra moisturizing creams. I bought some TJ's jojoba oil to use under my moisturizer and that has helped some.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:45 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm seriously pissed about Aveda. I wrote them another email, but I don't expect a response.
I am running out of my shampoo and conditioner and I don't know what to do. It's the only forking stuff that I like. fork fork fork.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mother forking son a croissant bisque asparagus mother forker.

Also, boo.

ETA: Does anyone have any ideas about a spray detangler like replacement for Bumble and Bumble tonic? It's really the only hair stuff I use. Balls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:23 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

This whole situation is so frustrating! I am a makeup artist and the majority of my kit is MAC. Luckily the market for pro quality vegan makeup is growing!
And for those of you looking for hair care to replace Aveda, I absolutely love Pureology (http://www.pureology.com/). All of their products are vegan, sulfate-free and amazing. They are pricey but the product is pretty concentrated so a little goes a long way. And when money is tight I use Giovanni (around here I have been able to get it at whole foods and target). I don't love it as much as Pureology but it gets the job done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lipstickrogue--my question is, is there a point in using Pureology if you don't have color treated hair? I've ordered More Body Thickener and Styling Gel by Giovanni from Vegan Essentials, and I am planning on replacing the Bb Tonic with California Baby detangler of all things (it sounds really similar though). I've been recommended Pureology a couple of times, but I don't color my hair, and each product says for color treated hair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hmmm good question ndpittman. I would say it ultimately depends on your hair type. In addition to having color treated hair my hair is both super fine and naturally very dry and the hydrating conditioner by pureology seems to be the only thing that keeps it somewhat hydrated and healthy. I do love their styling products for any hair type, color treated or not, but I would say if your hair is pretty healthy and color preservation isn't a concern for you then it may not be worth it to spend the extra money. Hopefully that answers your question!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Pureology is owned by L'Oreal. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next