| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: point me to a "no poo" link, please!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've noticed that I'm becoming less and less tolerant of perfumed products, including of course shampoo and conditioner, so I really want to go "no poo" again. There was a thread on the old board that had a link to a great explanation of the "no poo" method. I thought I'd bookmarked it, but apparently not...

Can anyone point me to a good site? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: point me to a "no poo" link, please!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I bookmarked this one last night because I'm about to embark on the no 'poo journey.

Also, there's this thread. It's not nearly as comprehensive as the thread on the old boards. Still, there are some tips.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:21 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

if you're lucky (apparently I am!), you can do away with the baking soda/ACV too. I had a six week (ish) transition period where it went from 'ugh' to 'gross', but now it's pretty much consistently 'oh, nice' if you want to give that a shot.. I guess it works better on short hair though?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:24 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I don't have a link, but I've implemented the baking soda and vinegar rinse method to allow me to use shampoo less often. I have super sensitive skin and like to use as few ingredients in the shower as possible. What I do is keep a mug in the shower for rinsing. Before I get in the shower I put some baking soda into the mug - maybe 2 TB or 1/4 cup - and then I fill it up the rest of the way with water. I mix the baking soda into the water with my finger and then pour it all over my wet hair. Then I rinse and pour about the same amount of apple cider vinegar (I buy the big cheapo gallons for washing my hair and for washing veggies) into the mug, fill it the rest of the way with water, pour it over my hair, and rinse. If you rinse well you shouldn't have a problem with smelling like vinegar, especially once your hair is dry. I know this because I've been paranoid about smelling like vinegar in the past and have forced lots of people to smell my hair and make sure!

I use this rinsing method every day because I work out every day and can't stand skipping showers. I do notice that after about a week my hair will get a bit greasy, which apparently will go away if you continue using this rinsing method. I've heard that your body stops producing so much grease once you stop drying your scalp out with shampoo. Since I don't really have any scalp issues and that's not my reason for doing the no 'poo thing, I don't bother dealing with the greasy stage. Once a week I'll either use regular shampoo or just suds my hair up with the shea butter soap I use on my body. Just a warning though, if you have sensitive skin that tends to dry out easily, make sure not to get the baking soda rinse all over your face. It will make your skin uncomfortably dry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:25 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

supercarrot is the admin(I think) of this no-poo lj group with lots of good info.

ETA: It would help if I actually linked the group. No-Poo LJ Group

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Thanks for the links! I did a search and didn't find the previous thread about this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

gaia13 wrote:
supercarrot is the admin(I think) of this no-poo lj group with lots of good info.

ETA: It would help if I actually linked the group. No-Poo LJ Group

yes, she knows her stuff.

i don't no-poo anymore but did for a long time. i would suggest not skipping water-only washes, which are super helpful, and taking it easy. people sometimes have a rough time at the beginning and over-analyze and just throw up their hands and give up just when they would probably have reached the turning point. Hope it works out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm about to go "no poo" as well. I'm going to go with the Curly Girl method - I've just read the book 'Curly Girl'. I'm not sure that there is a specific website, but if you google 'curly girl method' or 'lorraine massey' there is a ton of information on different websites.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 am 
Smuggling Raisins

This morning was Day 1 of no-pooing. I've done it before a couple of years ago, but stopped for some reason I can't remember now.
I immediately noticed that I hadn't shed as much hair as usual (I lose it by the handful), which made me very VERRY happy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

hi hi! :-)

I have coarse thick (long, past my tushie) henna'ed hair that usually gets too dry with baking soda, and I'm very prone to dandruff, often building up in scales. it's gross. so I use shikakai powder (about a tbsp) in about 12 oz of water and use that to scrub my scalp. my length generally doesn't get washed directly with the shikakai, but occasionally I'll up the amount I use and brush it through my hair.

for a while, I was using 1/8 tsp of citric acid mixed with essential oils, in 16 oz of water, but after 2 years, my hair started getting wiry and super difficult to brush through. (but I was combining that with Jason anti-dandruff shampoo. so it probably was entirely stripped of oils. and it didn't stop my dandruff). so back to shikakai and wholefoods' ACV, and it quickly got better. I'll probably try the citric acid rinse again while I'm using the shikakai to make sure i'm not blaming it completely. it's a lot less expensive than the ACV. not to mention, it saves on glass bottles) and it's better for travelling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:51 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Hey! :-)
I've never heard of shikakai before. What is it and where do you get it from?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

it's an indian shrub. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_concinna

i get it from the indian grocery store. (usually $1-$2 for a 100 gram box. it lasts a while, depending on how often you wash.) it's nice, because it helps exfoliate, and it's not as harsh (and doesn't break down as quickly) as sugar or salt.