| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiding A Bad Haircut
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 am 
WELFARIST!

So, I decided to let my friend cut my hair into a style that I've always wanted to try. My friend was fine but this is definitely not the hair for me. My hair grows pretty fast so I just need to wait for it to start growing out but in the meantime, I just want to hide it. With the combination of the horrible skin reaction on my face and my bad haircut, I'm feeling really ugly right now. Help me think of ways to hide my hair and still allow me to look decent!

I was thinking of some nice hats that don't look weird with me wearing them a lot. I'm on an extremely tight budget so they have to be cheap. Anyone have any styles/stores/ideas that you think you be a good idea for me? Maybe a favorite Etsy seller that isn't really expensive?

Any other ideas for covering this up?

Post subject: Re: Hiding A Bad Haircut
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Is there a picture of the style? not necessarily on you, but on someone else that we could see?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i got a bad dye job in Japan and wore a black beret for several weeks til i could have someone send me some US-made red to cover it up (it was, seriously, lemon yellow.). I made a lot of beatnik jokes.

my kid cut her own bangs badly a few years ago and i took her to the drugstore and let her get whatever barrettes she thought she might wear and tried to just restrain the bangs out of the way til they grew out. we did a lot of bangs-pinned to the side and cute little crossed-bobby-pin things on top of her head (to this day we call this the partridge hairdo though it really doesn't look like a partridge).

Frankly, Mr Shankly (i've been soooo waiting for that!) I've been thinking of cutting some bangs but you've put the fear of god into me, i think. Thanks?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ugh, that sucks. Could you work with bobby pins, clips, hairbands?

Berets look good with a lot of indoor outfits. Too bad most of the ones you can buy in shops are at least a wool blend, if not 100% wool. A nice crocheted cotton hat, maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 am 
WELFARIST!

The hair style is a very, very short A cut. Kind of like this.

I would totally wear a beret but like Bun said, they pretty much only sell them made with wool. I'm thinking of trying bobby pins, clips and hairbands but the hair is so short, I'm not sure it would do much. I guess I need to experiment with styling it a different way maybe.

Frankly, Mr. Shankly. <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

slick it back and pretend that you're annie lennox? pin it back just behind the ear?
i wish i were on your continent, i'd make you a beret.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Scarves tied in a cute way? If you have fabric at home you could make your own. Twist bits of hair back and pin them at the back of your head if your hair isn't too short? Having a bad hair cut sucks, remember that hair grows!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:15 pm 

I've had my hair like that many times! I guess depending on exactly how short it is you can maybe do tiny pig tails. You need tiny rubberbands. I used to wear my hair like this when I had aline bobs. This is me with tiny piggles, but they are actually longer in this picture than I would normally wear them (meaning it was time for a haircut)

Paula + Coco &lt;3 by ijustdiedinhere, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'd suggest a turban, but that might not be your style.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have a lot of experience with growing out haircuts! I'd invest in some bobby pins. You can style the front around you face a bit, then pin up the rest. I did a lot that were like, small buns or little twists and then pin. It also might look night with just the sides pinned back for kind of a half up/half down 'do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Last time I got a bad haircut I wore really thick headbands to hide my shame.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
i wish i were on your continent, i'd make you a beret.

Awww, thank you. <3

ijustdiedinside- My hair is a bit shorter than yours in that picture but has just enough to do the little pigtails. Thank you so much, this is working out pretty well! Also, a little weird but I have the same hair color and am wearing very similar glasses as you.

I also ended up buying this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm 

That is weird! Pics! (whenever you feel comfortable taking one)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Banana clip.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I second cute scarves.

And good on you for trying it out anyway! I really want to cut my hair short but I'm scared I'll just end up looking like my mother, which, while it works for her, is a terrifying prospect for my own head.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was going to suggest tiny pigtails too. :)
I like wearing trapper hats.
Stores are selling off all their winter stuff right now, maybe there will be some cute clearance hats.
Target usually has a lot of man-made options.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've been saving money by cutting my own hair for about a year now so I don't have a very stellar hairstyle. People compliment my hair all the time, though, because I put fun little accessories in it, like headbands, flower hair clips, scarves, etc. I like shopping in the kids section of stores and occasionally splurge on etsy. For the record, that's a super cut cute and I'm sure you look gorg. <3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I fifteenth the idea of thick headbands (the elastic ones that go all the way around the head work great for me) or the cute little pigtails. I'm growing my hair out from a cut like that, so I do understand your pain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 am 

You can even do headbands plus pigtails!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 am 
WRETCHED

You can find some cute headbands on etsy too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:27 am 
Huffs Nooch

I have a crochet hat that's pretty basic and has a little bit of a ruffle on the bottom that works really well for not looking like a winter hat (that should only be worn outside) but still being soft and brimless.
When I had a similar haircut I would sometimes pull the sides and/or top back into a small ponytail over the rest of it. I also found that the direction I brushed it in made a big difference when it was that length. You could try brushing it forwards or back and seeing what you like. If you've got hair that stays in braids doing french braids (or one braid, if you part your hair to the side) might look really nice too, in addition to keeping it all out of your face.
And scarves. Yes. Scarves are great for wrapping dramatically around one's head.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks everyone!

When it comes to scarves, how would I wear one? I only have one or two non-winter scarves and when I put them on my head I look like babushka Shankly.

Banana clip was something I hope would never return to my life. I remember when I was younger and they would pull the hair out of my head. I think we had to break one out of my hair once.

Erin- Thanks! I've been wanting to try it for a while and I figured that my hair is going to grow back anyway so why not! Not a hair style for me but I never would have known if I didn't try.

What is a trapper hat?

When it comes to headbands, where do you guys find nice ones? The only places I know that sell them are places like CVS and the headbands are kind of blah or don't fit my head very well.

So far I've been doing the pigtails and it's been working out pretty well. Not all of my hair can fit into one so little chunks hang out in some places.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:49 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Thanks everyone!

When it comes to scarves, how would I wear one? I only have one or two non-winter scarves and when I put them on my head I look like babushka Shankly.

Banana clip was something I hope would never return to my life. I remember when I was younger and they would pull the hair out of my head. I think we had to break one out of my hair once.

Erin- Thanks! I've been wanting to try it for a while and I figured that my hair is going to grow back anyway so why not! Not a hair style for me but I never would have known if I didn't try.

What is a trapper hat?

When it comes to headbands, where do you guys find nice ones? The only places I know that sell them are places like CVS and the headbands are kind of blah or don't fit my head very well.

So far I've been doing the pigtails and it's been working out pretty well. Not all of my hair can fit into one so little chunks hang out in some places.

I can't wait to see it! I have a few scarves, next time you come over (asap please, i still have your rum) I can show you how! I buy all my headbands on etsy or at cheap jewelry stores (think: claire's)

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awesome, text (or IM) me! We can try to set a time up for next week. You can help me look less like babushka. Also, do we have a Claires here? The Pru, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:20 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Awesome, text (or IM) me! We can try to set a time up for next week. You can help me look less like babushka. Also, do we have a Claires here? The Pru, maybe?

I will! I'm not sure where there is one near us, I'm used to going to them at malls on the south shore. We can go on an adventure looking for them!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars