| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me buy a bike!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

For the record: I have a bike. I'm very much happy with it. It even has a hand built rear wheel (thanks, machine built wheel for breaking spokes everywhere), it has a rear pannier rack. I get to work. Blahblahblah.

BUT. I am starting to think about getting a second bike and I am not sure what I should get. I would love a bike that handles pretty well without weight but can handle heavy weights? (Up to 50-70 pounds, I suppose, but I don't think i've ever gone over 40). I really liked the Bianchi Volpe, it fit well, rode well, etc. I'm wondering if a bike trailer is a better way to go than the panniers? Because I dislike how the panniers make my bike feel in some ways. Would the volpe be able to handle a trailer?

I tried the trek 520 today and liked it. I also tried the vaya and didn't like it nearly as much and the long haul trucker with its smaller wheels and didn't like it all that much though it was ok. The bike shop guy really wants to sell me on very wide wheels which I understand but I seem to have a mental block against it. Would having a trailer then require me to have a bike with the fatter wheels?

The question is, do I want to carry up to 70 pounds in panniers or do I want to get a trailer? If I get a trailer, should I get http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/ibex or http://www.burley.com/home/bur/page_454/nomad.html?

Post subject: Re: Help me buy a bike!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have a rack on my bike and it makes me crazy because I wind up bumping it with my butt when I back up on the seat. But I would be petrified of riding in traffic with a trailer - I'm already a little petrified of traffic honestly. What are you actually planning on carrying? And where are you riding with it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Try a Salsa Casseroll! I thought I wanted a Cross Check or a Long Haul Trucker until I rode both and they felt wrong. I also tried a new Trek 520 (I also have an 80s 520 which I love) but I didn't like how the new 520 fit me. I have 32s on my Salsa and 28s on my Trek and I have toured on both. I don't know how much my stuff weighs though, and maybe I don't carry much? I haven't ever ridden with a trailer but I've never minded having loaded panniers on my rack.

My ex boyfriend and my roommate both have bob trailers and they like them. How long of a trip are you planning to do? Have you thought about having front and rear panniers? I've never had to have more than my two big Ortliebs for trips, but I don't carry a ton of stuff (I have a tent, sleeping pad and bag, snacks, prepared food like a quinoa salad, but no stove or lots of food because I pretty much only go on weekend trips where I can eat when I get there).

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:01 am 

I've definitely managed with panniers before! I think my weight's never gone over ~30ish pounds. I'm not planning on riding around Boston and would likely put a rear rack on the bike anyways but I feel like a trailer would be a good idea, considering I'm living car free. I like the larger wheels and non-mountain bike type tires. I don't know how much I would use the trailer but I feel like I could get some serious use out of it over time!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:49 pm 

Ok, so current thinking: Bianchi Volpe with a rack for panniers and getting either the BOB or the burley flat bed. I really like the idea of a trailer so I can carry shtuff. I guess it seems like initial inertia might be just as hard as with loaded panniers but, I dunno, I like the idea of a little more versatility in what I can carry, if need be. (Ie, I sometimes camp with my tarp tent which requires a hiking pole, which is very awkward to get in a pannier)