| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worthington Shoes @ JC Penney
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

Does anyone know if the Worthington shoes @ JC Penney that are listed as all man made materials are vegan? I read somewhere that even though it says that, some ingredient in certain glues can make them not vegan.

If no one here knows and I need to send an email, is there a specific ingredient or type of glue I should ask about? I'm not sure how accurate a response I'll get if I just ask if they're vegan!

I'm looking for a classic black pump, no round toes, mid sized fairly tapering heel (job interviewing clothes!). Link is to the pair I like.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=190d4be&DeptID=70731&CatID=71768&SO=0&SelDim=4~+8~888&x5view=1&Ne=888+4+5+3+840+14+23+18+904+949+833&shopperType=G&N=4294953502+4294967019+287&Nao=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=70731|71768

Any info/direction would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Worthington Shoes @ JC Penney
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it says synthetic upper and synthetic sole and lining, so they are all synthetic. I'm not sure about glue or anything, but they definitely aren't made of leather.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah personally I would say they're vegan, I tend to have a "don't ask/don't tell" attitude towards glue when it comes to most dress shoes, and sneakers that come from brands that aren't certified vegan. though I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. I seem to have just sort of slipped into that over the years. Maybe that makes me a bad vegan.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree with that; I think that most glues are probably made with animal ingredients of some sort, unless you are getting them from Mooshoes or Vegetarian Shoes or something. I don't have the $ to buy those shoes, so I get mine at Payless or Target.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

anything saying synthetic or man made is vegan to me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Here's the thing that gets me - I found some super cheap shoes that had the symbols for textile and man-made materials, but they looked and felt like suede. Is suede suddenly considered textile or man-made? I would still call it leather. It just didn't seem right that shoes that only cost £10 would have vegan sued, since those usually cost about £50+ on vegan sites.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

rachell37 wrote:
Here's the thing that gets me - I found some super cheap shoes that had the symbols for textile and man-made materials, but they looked and felt like suede. Is suede suddenly considered textile or man-made? I would still call it leather. It just didn't seem right that shoes that only cost £10 would have vegan sued, since those usually cost about £50+ on vegan sites.

that's a tricky one, if I was in doubt I probably wouldn't buy them. As far as I know, suede isn't considered by shoe manufacturers to be textile or man-made. Technically they are supposed to use the appropriate symbols but I'm not sure how stringent import regulations are on that kind of thing. And I've seen some really cheap leather shoes so price isn't always an indicator.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:15 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

rachell37 wrote:

any time i've seen suede it was marked as leather. shoes on vegan sites or being marketed specifically as "vegan suede" will always cost a lot more than shoes that are made out of something other than leather just so they can be sold to consumers who want inexpensive shoes but don't care if the shoes are vegan. fabrics like microfibers can approximate suede and aren't that expensive. i can't say for sure, obviously, but it's totally conceivable to me that the shoes you saw were man-made materials.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks everyone! It seems as though the glue issue is one of those minute details that sparks alot of debate among some vegans! I'm an extremely new vegan and have taken the approach of using what I currently own and when buying new going vegan. I checked all the vegan online stores I could find. I found one pair that matched in style to the ones I listed. They were on sale for $105!!!! That's crazy! I don't think I have EVER spent $105 on a pair of shoes! and wouldn't now, especially since I've just been laid off!