| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am the worst with accessories and have nothing to offer. . . But damn, that dress is cute.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Fingers crossed that it fits well and is a true 16. The last one I bought did.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:39 am 
WRETCHED

This isn't fashion per se but I'm annoyed at Target. First of all, they have raised their prices on their active wear (it isn't even plus size but I'll get to that). $40 for a pair of exercise pants... at Target.

Secondly, they have phased out their larger sizes such that I don't think I could get a leg into an XXL. I know I've gained a lot of weight but they used to have various fits such that I could fit into their XXL but no longer for pants (hoodies and some shirts yes). I did buy a hoodie on sale ($8) and a shirt but no way I could've fit into their pants.

So anyway, I went hunting around and found actually a Buzzfeed article regarding workout wear
http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/s ... .esG5zNd44

Also, I have a few things from Old Navy (online purchase only) which are really good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:15 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

ugh, linanil that blows. I hate when places change their sizing. Just stick with your already-arbitrary system instead of changing it and messing with my head!

I found the most comfortable pair of jeans I've ever owned at Additionelle. Most of their stuff is really frumpy muumuus and baggy loose things but they occasionally have cute things. These jeans though, woah god. I could wear them all day and be comfy which is not something I've ever been able to say for a pair of jeans before.

I also really like their undies, bras and pjs. Plus, I get SUCH good customer service when they go. I think they recognize that shopping as a plus size body can be really traumatic and awful, so at least at my city's location they go out of their way to make it as smooth and comfortable as possible. I kinda love that place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:26 pm 
WRETCHED

That is good to hear! I did order a pair of pants and shirt from Additionelle. I know it will take a couple weeks to get here but shipping was fair and I used my credit card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Does anyone know of any work pants (by which I mean Dickies\Carhart style pants, not dress pants) that fit curvier bodies reasonably? I ended up just getting a pair of men's Dickies again, but the fit is sort of dorky and dumpy. I don't need to win fashion shows at work (I'm a bike mechanic) but I hate catching my reflection mid day and feeling like crepe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:24 pm 
Semen Strong

linanil wrote:
This isn't fashion per se but I'm annoyed at Target. First of all, they have raised their prices on their active wear (it isn't even plus size but I'll get to that). $40 for a pair of exercise pants... at Target.

Secondly, they have phased out their larger sizes such that I don't think I could get a leg into an XXL. I know I've gained a lot of weight but they used to have various fits such that I could fit into their XXL but no longer for pants (hoodies and some shirts yes). I did buy a hoodie on sale ($8) and a shirt but no way I could've fit into their pants.

That sucks, I was looking at the Marimekko stuff and noticed that Target is using models who represent a broader diversity in size in their ads, but it still sucks that all the bigger sizes (1x to 3x) are online only. They look really nice and flowing but it super sucks that they just made the larger sizes smaller.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Olives wrote:
Does anyone know of any work pants (by which I mean Dickies\Carhart style pants, not dress pants) that fit curvier bodies reasonably? I ended up just getting a pair of men's Dickies again, but the fit is sort of dorky and dumpy. I don't need to win fashion shows at work (I'm a bike mechanic) but I hate catching my reflection mid day and feeling like crepe.

Maybe you've already looked, but the Dickies website seems to have a wide range of sizes and styles in their women's pants. I hope you can find something you like!

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 am 
WRETCHED

So guys, I realized I need a few shirts for summer. I was looking at an online store that had a shirt on sale from a brand I wasn't familiar with. So I decide to try to find a size chart for that brand. Well I ended up on their website and they had an entire section of plus size clothes (yay!) but then I was shocked at how the models were at the very low end of misses sizing. The original website had a woman that was probably a size 12 in the shirt I was looking at but the specific brand did not.

The worst part of it is that when I clicked on size chart on the page where there were clearly 1x, 2x, 3x clothes, the size chart only showed the misses size chart. I wanted to share a picture but I am putting it under a spoiler. There is nothing wrong with this woman's body, I just don't think someone who may be a size 0 (or 00) should represent plus size clothing.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh, that makes me so upset. I don't know if they still do this, but when I was younger and my mom would shop at Lane Bryant, I noticed that the mannequins had clips to make the clothes fit snugger. The mannequins. Manufactured for the very purpose of being in a plus-sized store. . . not plus sized. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:16 pm 
WRETCHED

yeah the mannequin thing is common.

I actually used the contact us link on the website to let them know that as a plus size woman, their models do not inspire me to buy their clothes and that they lacked a size chart. They emailed me back thanking me for the input and understanding that it can be frustrating, they also included their plus size chart. The funny thing is their size chart was very generous, like up to size 28 if not 26 which is larger than a lot of non plus size companies (which only go to size 24 if that).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:30 am 
WRETCHED

So I was looking at a plus size vlogger and she used an online stylist, which seemed like a cool idea. Except they want to look at your pinterest for ideas and what not. I don't have a pinterest so I figured maybe I'd just start one to get an idea.

I decided to add some whimsical things from thinkgeek so went there and some stuff I like was on sale but instead of pinning it, I am buying it. I think I'm doing this wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:03 am 
BAD PASS

Haha. I wonder how that would work...all that's on my Pinterest is haircut ideas, recipes, and Pyrex, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 am 
WRETCHED

well basically they use any online presence, so instagram (which I have but not of pictures of my outfits), maybe facebook? and pinterest or you can send them links of stuff you like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 pm 
WRETCHED

I have a question and this isn't meant to diss anyone's personal style. I see a lot of pictures of people wearing denim jackets. As someone who grew up in the 80s, born in the 70s, I can't see myself getting into this trend. The pictures look really cute but I'm just like, no just no.

Does anyone here wear denim on top? Are you under 35? Did you struggle with it at first?

My other problem in general is I would really like to create a capsule wardrobe. For winter, fall and even spring this seems very doable. For summer, where it is hot and I'm not layering anything, it doesn't seem as doable. I'm not putting on a cardigan, jacket, sweater, whatever. Does anyone have tips for capsule style wardrobes for summer?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If anybody is looking for a bathing suit, I'm really happy with one I just got. It's this same style, just a different fabric. It's insanely flattering. They seem sold out of the woman's sizes, but most places carry them. They had a bunch on the sale racks when I was in the store a week or so ago.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs ... -one-piece

The closest I get to denim on top is a chambray shirt.

For summer, I do camis, knit skirts and layers. I like tissue thin cotton shirts for sun protection and going into cold places. Mostly knit skirts and tanks though. But, as seen in the what are you wearing thread, I'm not exactly fashion queen material.

This summer, I'm planning on just living in my blue and white striped jersey maxi skirt. It's comfy and cool and will go with any color tee or cami. Should I need to actually dress up, I can wear something dressier with it. This is what I tend to do in the summer: find one super comfy skirt and wear it to death.

I got a black maxi from Ann Taylor but it has this stupid wide waistband that is really uncomfortable; I wish I'd returned it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Meant to mention, that the tankinis are good too. The tops are not skimpy and short like some I've had. They come to below waist and they don't ride up. I prefer the skirted bottoms because of my loose skin issues, but the brief bottoms actually cover my butt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:28 pm 

I wear a denim jacket! I am 32. I also grew up in the punk scene and wearing denim with lots of pins and patches is totally a thing, so it's not something I associate with a current trend or anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:25 pm 
WRETCHED

Ahh, that makes sense.

I'm a little thrown off by one of the models at Lard & Taylor for plus size clothes They don't show the faces but I believe that one of the models is either a very muscular woman (without visible muscles), a transgendered woman or the model is a man. Very broad shoulders, straight hips, small chest, large feet, large hands, etc that would be hard to achieve for a muscular woman. So part of me is like, did they opt to hire a man rather than hiring a plumper woman? Although one of the other models is slightly thicker, so it doesn't seem they are against it. Or are they forward enough to hire someone who is transgendered. I hope it isn't that they put a man in woman's clothes because that is odd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was looking for tees and found these: (Ralph Lauren cropped skinny jeans in cute colors for $24) I love summer colored jeans with white tanks or tees. My size is sold out, but thought I'd share.

I've found the fit in RL jeans is fairly generous in seat and hips, but fairly true to size. I can attest that RL.com is excellent with returns and refunds.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/inde ... age=family

Eta: if anybody else loves drapey cardigans, I bought this one and love it. It's perfect over jeans and a tank top for going into cold places. It doesn't come in plus sizes, but I'm usually an XL/14 and I had to get the medium. They aren't kidding about "relaxed fit." The XL should be a nice fit up to a 16/18.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/inde ... age=family

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I bought 4 tees, some cropped workout pants, and a navy knit maxi skirt. I love the tees--they feel like velvet. I don't usually like short sleeved tees, but I got a charcoal one in the winter to get free shipping and ended up loving it. They were on sale for $17 today, which is better than the outlet. I got weird colors (for me anyway): neon pink, kiwi, pale aqua. And black, of course.

Usually I stock up on camis at Ann Taylor, but I'm tired of their quality issues and random sizing so I'll do these tees instead. I have 6 year old stuff that is in good shape but stuff from past 2-3 years is sad looking.

Ok--no more clothes until October.

(I hope it's ok that I'm posting in this thread. I'm not buying plus sizes right now, but I'm on that annoying border where they are too big but other things are too small. I guess I still identify most with plus size shopping.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:57 pm 

I went on a bit of an, um...spree on Modcloth. They have so much cute plus size stuff lately! Frilly tops and nice skirts and things.

these pants:

bathing suit!

flippy skirt:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Those are all super cute. I love the bathing suit. I really like the great and black tee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:01 pm 

I'm so excited about the suit. I have a hard time finding bathing suits that are large enough in the chest, but the model seems fairly busty and she has good boob coverage. It feels promising.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
I got weird colors (for me anyway): neon pink, kiwi, pale aqua. And black, of course.

You and I have the same fair colouring, and one of my favourite tops is hot pink! It gives me a nice creamy look to my complexion and brings out a rosiness in my cheeks. I'm betting it will do the same for you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next