| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

BPS, great choices--those are adorable dresses!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:52 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Those are gorgeous dresses.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like both of those, but I gasped when I saw the first one. Gorgeous!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They are lovely! Great choices, and I think the second dress with a shrug will be super cute. Did you try Nordstroms for a strapless? I got one from them for a few weddings I was in. I think they have brands that go up to a G cup. They do really great proper fittings too.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I should try that for a strapless. I have the worst time finding any to fit. They always either cause pain or fall down.

I still have trouble finding bras now because I've got extra loose skin that gets in the way (not pleasant), but nothing compares to the horror of trying to find 42-46B. The plus size industry still fails at realizing that breasts come in all sorts of sizes.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

True dat! I feel you LW. Lane bryant does carry a 42b and 44b I think. But being measured properly has changed my life when it comes to bras. I was wearing a 40c but I now know that I am a 40dd!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You might want to check out http://www.herroom.com for hard to find bra sizes

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm a 44H so I have serious doubts about strapless, although they do have one in my size at Her Room that isn't too terribly expensive. I might give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
I'm a 44H so I have serious doubts about strapless, although they do have one in my size at Her Room that isn't too terribly expensive. I might give it a try.

I have some bras that come with a few sets of straps, including clear plastic. I hate the feel of the plastic straps, but they are useful for cases like this.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:38 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I hope you guys don't mind me popping in here, but I thought of this thread the other day. I know some of you have expressed reluctance to wear skinny jeans, so I wanted to let you know that I was walking down the street the other day and totally did a double take when I saw a plus-sized woman totally rocking the hell out of some skinny jeans. Seriously, she was BANGIN' at around a size 20 (I'd guess - I could be way off - she was very full figured and looked awesome). I tried to get a look at the label without being too creepy, and I'm pretty sure they were Old Navy, though I wasn't bold enough to discern the style or cut.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I hope it doesn't come across as weird. The experience just made me think of you guys and this thread. <3

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks for that, JoPa! I for one love the support in this thread from people of all sizes.
I've always been too self-conscious for skinny jeans, but this is the kick in the butt I need to go and try a pair on instead of fearing them!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:42 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

GraciaKai wrote:
But being measured properly has changed my life when it comes to bras.

Same here! I was wearing a 38DD but it turns out I'm a 36F. And it makes a huge difference in how clothes fit and my shape under t-shirts and sweaters! I think everyone with boobs should get properly fitted.

The girl who did my fitting explained to me that while a 38 band is comfortable on me, it doesn't provide the firmness/lift I need (it's a bit TOO comfy). So, having a slightly smaller band (but not too small that it cuts into you) is good for big-chested people because it helps provide that extra support.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Same here! I was wearing a 38DD but it turns out I'm a 36F. And it makes a huge difference in how clothes fit and my shape under t-shirts and sweaters! I think everyone with boobs should get properly fitted.

The girl who did my fitting explained to me that while a 38 band is comfortable on me, it doesn't provide the firmness/lift I need (it's a bit TOO comfy). So, having a slightly smaller band (but not too small that it cuts into you) is good for big-chested people because it helps provide that extra support.

I'm trying to get used to that snug but not cut into you feeling. Right now I can make it half way through the day in a properly fitted bra without wanting to kill myself. But after that I get cranky and start tugging at it every 5 min. Its hard going from that COMFY bra to one that fits properly, but I know I look better in the one that I got measured for.

JoPa, was the girl tall? Just wondering cause I have noticed the same thing on plus size gals that are tall. They can look awesome on all sizes if done well and with the right shirt. I just don't like the way my hips look in them. But I am only 5'2 and without something on the bottom to balance me out, I just look weird.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

GraciaKai wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

I'm trying to get used to that snug but not cut into you feeling. Right now I can make it half way through the day in a properly fitted bra without wanting to kill myself. But after that I get cranky and start tugging at it every 5 min. Its hard going from that COMFY bra to one that fits properly, but I know I look better in the one that I got measured for.

JoPa, was the girl tall? Just wondering cause I have noticed the same thing on plus size gals that are tall. They can look awesome on all sizes if done well and with the right shirt. I just don't like the way my hips look in them. But I am only 5'2 and without something on the bottom to balance me out, I just look weird.

Nope, she was about 5'2 or 5'3 by my guess. She was definitely shorter than me, and I'm 5'6. I think she was wearing flats, or MAYBE short heels.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm 5'1'' and a 16-18 in jeans (apple shaped) and I wear skinny jeans and jeggings all the time. I guess I might look awful, but nobody has said anything. I feel like flares cut my legs in half making me look shorter, and with all my weight in my gut wide legged trousers mean I lose any shape I had to begin with.

I think fat girls/women look hot in whatever clothes make them feel good, same as skinny girls/women and all the girls and women in between.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I'm 5'1'' and a 16-18 in jeans (apple shaped) and I wear skinny jeans and jeggings all the time. I guess I might look awful, but nobody has said anything. I feel like flares cut my legs in half making me look shorter, and with all my weight in my gut wide legged trousers mean I lose any shape I had to begin with.

I think fat girls/women look hot in whatever clothes make them feel good, same as skinny girls/women and all the girls and women in between.

Not only that, being a plus size woman doesn't mean you are shaped like every other plus size woman. I think a lot of stores and clothing manufacturers forget that.

ETA: Jordan was nicer than I was. I hope I am not out of place posting in here either. I don't wear a plus size anymore, but I did for most of my life and I still give my clothing business to places that have good plus size options, because I still remember really, really, REALLY well feeling so marginalized when shopping. Like the forking Macy's that had plus size upstairs stuffed behind kitchen and housewares with one tiny, dark crappy makeshift dressing room.

Rereading that, I am sort of afraid it sounds condescending, but I don't mean it that way at all. When I go into a mall still, I have flashbacks to crying in dressing rooms. The first time I walked into the plus size boutique at Lard & Taylor and found Ralph Lauren on the racks and huge, well lit dressing rooms and nice staff, was the first time I had a happy shopping experience and left feeling great about myself with clothes that were what I wanted and fit properly. Thank God there are a lot more nice options today than there were 15 years ago when you were at the mercy of whatever craziness Lane Bryant was selling.

Also: everyone in this thread is awesome at dressing their bodies well, something I am still struggling to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

BluePlasticStraw - love the last dress!

And speaking of bras...I lost a little bit of weight lately (yoga + conscious eating) and I think I am down to a 40 DD. I need a good sports bra for pole dancing class and a new lightly padded/tshirt bra. What are you gals going for?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
Inflexitarian

deearess wrote:
I like both of those, but I gasped when I saw the first one. Gorgeous!

That was pretty much my reaction, too. So beautiful. It's probably healthy for my bank account that eshakti don't ship to Australia.

Like jessilikewhoa said, the main thing for anyone of any size/shape is to feel good in what they're wearing. I think I'm genuinely at a point where I dress mostly for my own preferences, and assume/hope that other people are mostly doing the same. I don't like the way skinny jeans look on my own body, but I don't think I've ever seen someone else and thought she "shouldn't" be wearing them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:15 pm 

I'm so bummed that I had to return both the eShakti dresses. The first one was a totally different color from the website, which broke my heart because I was so in love with it. Instead of being a dark violet blue it was bright purple, which wasn't horrible, but not at all what I wanted. Sad face. I'm certain they're using a different color fabric from what is pictured online because it is so different.

The teal dress just didn't fit in the bust. I knew I was taking a chance on something with a fitted bust, but I hoped that giving them my measurements, cup size, and paying for a custom fit would work, but it wasn't meant to be. It was at least two cup sizes too small. no way my boobs could fit into that top.

On the plus side Avenue has some really cute summer clothes and they've had 25% off for the last couple days so I went on a shopping spree. I've been really putting off buying clothes, so I'm in desperate need, especially of stuff for warmer weather. Avenue's quality can be hit and miss, but all the stuff I bought I checked out in person at the store first. I got three dresses, four tank tops, a pair of capris and three tops for $150, including shipping. It pains me to spend that much on clothing because I'm ridiculously frugul, but I think that's a good haul for the money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah, I'm plus-sized and I have a pair of black skinny jeans I wear regularly. I was hesitant at first because I am bigger on top (large boobs, and what have been described as "swimmers shoulders") and have no real semblance of hips. I was worried I would look like an upside-down triangle.
HOWEVER, they look good with an appropriate top, and I really like wearing them with boots, rolled up once.

are there any other super tall ladies in this thread? do you guys have any advice on finding tops that are long enough? I have a long torso and there are a bunch of tops that i've tried on which end up being way too short.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:45 pm 

booberthefraggle wrote:
are there any other super tall ladies in this thread? do you guys have any advice on finding tops that are long enough? I have a long torso and there are a bunch of tops that i've tried on which end up being way too short.

I am not a super-tall lady, but I have noticed that long-line and tunic tops seem to be very in right now, so that might give you more options.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh good, we're talking about bras. time for me to push my favorite: cacique! lane bryants bra store. its the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I tried a new bra brand recently: Chantelle. They are pricey, but I think I would say they are worth it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I am 5'10" - tall not super tall. I have a long torso too...I like Torrid's tunics and tanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm 5'11" and I'm really loving that longer-style tops are in fashion now, makes things much easier!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next