| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plus Size Fashion Conscious ladies!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wish I had somewhere fancy to go. I should start lurking around bridal shops, trying to befriend engaged ladies in the hopes of getting invited to weddings and wearing fancy dresses. Or I should just wear formal wear to all of Dan and my family holiday events, and not care that everyone else is wearing jeans.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I wish I had somewhere fancy to go. I should start lurking around bridal shops, trying to befriend engaged ladies in the hopes of getting invited to weddings and wearing fancy dresses. Or I should just wear formal wear to all of Dan and my family holiday events, and not care that everyone else is wearing jeans.

I love to go to all kinds of performing arts events. When I can talk my friend into it, we make it a dress up night. Glad he likes to sport a coat and tie sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

deearess wrote:
I love to go to all kinds of performing arts events. When I can talk my friend into it, we make it a dress up night. Glad he likes to sport a coat and tie sometimes.

That's a really good idea. I've been wanting to go to a ballet because I've never been and they look really cool, I should go to a ballet and dress fancy for it!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jessilikewhoa wrote:
deearess wrote:

That's a really good idea. I've been wanting to go to a ballet because I've never been and they look really cool, I should go to a ballet and dress fancy for it!

Yes! The ballet is one of my favorites :)
But, unfortunately it's too expensive for me to go often. We have a non-profit, volunteer, community brass band that plays a few times a year and only charges like $10 a person to cover the venue. But it's a nice venue so dress up is appropriate - though very few people do for much anymore. So, definitely go to as many of the professional things as you can, but if budget is an issue look for university and community events.

To not get too far off topic...I don't think this is the exact dress because I think mine isn't that pleated, but the top is exactly like that. Of course, if I keep cooking for mofo, it might not fit for fall occasions ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That dress is gorgeous!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rocklobster wrote:
i just ordered 2 la mysteres and a freya active from Her Room. i dont know why. i know theyre not going to fit, bras are not something you can order online. but i wanted nice bras! i dont have any that fit! maybe i should try walmart instead of these 70 dollar ones.

the freya active feels ok and actually works (unlike my enell), but is definitely too small in the cup area, so id imagine it wouldnt be comfy in real exercise. im gonna exchange. the la mysteres miraculously fit (ive never successfully ordered anything online. and bras never ever ever fit), but are not worth the money. one kind is really scratchy and the oprahs favorite bra is nice, but cacique makes the same bra for half the price.
MBM-i fail at dresses too. i suggest trying on as many as you can stand every time you shop. eventually a few will work! snag em and hoard em for your next event.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm wearing my first pair of skinny jeans with boots today! Tried to take a picture in my work bathroom but I couldn't get my legs in the shot.

Feeling pretty good about it, but still kind of weird and like I'm too big for this look...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

rocklobster wrote:
rocklobster wrote:
i just ordered 2 la mysteres and a freya active from Her Room. i dont know why. i know theyre not going to fit, bras are not something you can order online. but i wanted nice bras! i dont have any that fit! maybe i should try walmart instead of these 70 dollar ones.

the freya active feels ok and actually works (unlike my enell), but is definitely too small in the cup area, so id imagine it wouldnt be comfy in real exercise. im gonna exchange. the la mysteres miraculously fit (ive never successfully ordered anything online. and bras never ever ever fit), but are not worth the money. one kind is really scratchy and the oprahs favorite bra is nice, but cacique makes the same bra for half the price.
MBM-i fail at dresses too. i suggest trying on as many as you can stand every time you shop. eventually a few will work! snag em and hoard em for your next event.

Hey Rocklobster! You should come up to Toronto one of these days. We have some great proper bra stores up here. I have 4 Freya bras at the moment, but all of them were fit in store and I found that makes a huge difference. It's more expensive than buying online but you get a perfect fit. Also a proper trained fitter can recommend bras based on not only your size but also the type of breast you have. I know, sounds weird, but the more you know, right? I now know that certain types of bras will look weird on me because I have soft instead of firm breast. Basically, my bra store has changed the whole way I look at bras, and they have lots of cute stuff (and I'm a 38G, I never thought I would have sexy bras ever!).
I'm pretty loyal to this place called Tryst (the queen st location, they have two locations), but friends have recommended secrets from your sisters closest (they carry similar brands but I heard they are cheaper than Tryst). There is also a european company called Change. Their store only carries their brand and the pricing is pretty good (bras average around $40 and they are always having a sale it seems). I have bought a few things from them, they are way better than department store bras and carry a wide range of sizing but the quality and fit is not as good as companies like Freya.
On the flipside, we don't have a Torrid in Canada yet :( Is there one in Buffalo or is way out in the burbs somewhere? I haven't been to Torrid in years and would love to go again (I haven't had the best luck buying online)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
I'm wearing my first pair of skinny jeans with boots today! Tried to take a picture in my work bathroom but I couldn't get my legs in the shot.

Feeling pretty good about it, but still kind of weird and like I'm too big for this look...

Yay for you!! I'm sure you're adorable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

deearess wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Yay for you!! I'm sure you're adorable.

i actually really like larger women in this look. do it!

and courtney--thanks for the info! i will definitely be headed up for a trip to those places soon!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

GraciaKai, I bet you rocked it! I love skinny jeans on curvy bodies. It always looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks guys, I felt pretty good. Next time I wear them I'll take a picture at home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yay for skinny jeans! Rock it GraciaKai.
Kinda makes me sad there there wasn't all these cool plus size things to wear when I was a teenager. I remember trying to find the slimmest fit of jeans in a size 16 when I was 15 and only being able to find these huge legged things. But hey, I am rocking the skinnies at 29 and making up for lost time!
Yesterday, I wore dark skinnies with the cuff turned up and this new sweater I just bought:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=60790&vid=1&pid=851480&scid=851480002

I got a bunch of compliments on the sweater. I'm not usually a beige person, but this sweater is so unbelievably soft I want to wear it all the time!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha! I'm 29 too. We are rocking it together.

When we were teenagers grunge was in. Totally unflattering but god do I miss the days of being able to wear flannel and overalls and be in fashion. Now it's time to watch My So Called Life!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Help.
I need recommendations for 2-3 decently priced dresses that can be crammed into a suitcase, ironed out, worn at a multiple day and possibly semi-conservative wedding, and ideally, worn semi-casually (note: I don't care that much if I ruin them and I wear dresses in my normal life) as my trip turns backpacker-style for 2 more weeks.

I'm 5'1, 38c and fluctuate around a 14.

Also, I'm 29! : )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Sur ... ctTypeId=1

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Lig ... ctTypeId=1
http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Bla ... ctTypeId=1
http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Pur ... ctTypeId=1

I like these ones for their price and their shape. I am 30 years old, and I would wear them all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

im thinking maybe a wrap style dress would be good for you? it could be dressed up with jewelry and heels, dressed down with leggings. Your size doesnt matter, more your shape!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Try Old Navy. I love their dresses and they ship fast and for free most times. Or you could probably shop in the store, I would think their regular size clothes would fit you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just received my first order from eShakti and I dunno... wish I was more impressed. The order took over 2 weeks to arrive which was way longer than I expected. I was specifically ordering this dress: http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 2164&pcat= to wear to my sister's wedding next week. I ordered it in the Living Coral color shown. The actual color of it is BRIGHT NEON ORANGE. So, so bad. The fabric seems thin and cheap and the ruffles are nowhere near as voluminous and pretty as the dress pictured on the site. (Not to mention it was so wrinkled when I took it out of the tiny box they shipped the dresses in, it just seemed like a crumpled rag.) I also ordered it in custom sizing and while the top of the dress fits nicely, the skirt of it is just huge. That one's going back for sure.

I also ordered another dress (that doesn't seem to appear on their site any longer) that I like much more. I ordered this in a standard size 2x to save the $7.95 custom fee and to compare their sizing. Again, the fabric on the bottom of the dress is a little shiny and seems cheaper than what I imagined, but the overall look of the dress is cute. The top on it is much too big, the waist is snug, but the skirt is okay. I think I'll have it tailored on top and keep it.

So many of the dress on their site look SO cute and I'm tempted to try again, but I worry that the quality and fit will be way off. And now I'm stuck scurrying around this weekend trying to find a suitable dress to wear to the wedding. Blerg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OddCoupleEats wrote:
I just received my first order from eShakti and I dunno... wish I was more impressed. The order took over 2 weeks to arrive which was way longer than I expected. I was specifically ordering this dress: http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp? ... 2164&pcat= to wear to my sister's wedding next week. I ordered it in the Living Coral color shown. The actual color of it is BRIGHT NEON ORANGE. So, so bad. The fabric seems thin and cheap and the ruffles are nowhere near as voluminous and pretty as the dress pictured on the site. (Not to mention it was so wrinkled when I took it out of the tiny box they shipped the dresses in, it just seemed like a crumpled rag.) I also ordered it in custom sizing and while the top of the dress fits nicely, the skirt of it is just huge. That one's going back for sure.

I also ordered another dress (that doesn't seem to appear on their site any longer) that I like much more. I ordered this in a standard size 2x to save the $7.95 custom fee and to compare their sizing. Again, the fabric on the bottom of the dress is a little shiny and seems cheaper than what I imagined, but the overall look of the dress is cute. The top on it is much too big, the waist is snug, but the skirt is okay. I think I'll have it tailored on top and keep it.

So many of the dress on their site look SO cute and I'm tempted to try again, but I worry that the quality and fit will be way off. And now I'm stuck scurrying around this weekend trying to find a suitable dress to wear to the wedding. Blerg.

That stinks! I hate when I order online and it's nothing like what I expected or what was shown. Hopefully you won't have any issues finding something for the wedding in the stores. There is always Lane Bryant, Torrid, The Avenue, and Ashley Stewart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:53 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

GraciaKai wrote:
That stinks! I hate when I order online and it's nothing like what I expected or what was shown. Hopefully you won't have any issues finding something for the wedding in the stores. There is always Lane Bryant, Torrid, The Avenue, and Ashley Stewart.

Thanks, GraciaKai! I'm going to try Macy's this weekend, I usually have luck there. If not, maybe I'll just wait until I fly home to find something. Shopping in NYC can be flat out exhausting with the tourists and the lack of transportation and whatnot.

On that note, does anyone know if any of the stores here like H&M or Forever 21 carry plus sizes in the store? My guess is that they only carry them on-line, but I wasn't sure...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OddCoupleEats wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

Thanks, GraciaKai! I'm going to try Macy's this weekend, I usually have luck there. If not, maybe I'll just wait until I fly home to find something. Shopping in NYC can be flat out exhausting with the tourists and the lack of transportation and whatnot.

On that note, does anyone know if any of the stores here like H&M or Forever 21 carry plus sizes in the store? My guess is that they only carry them on-line, but I wasn't sure...

I think they are only online. As well as Old Navy. Sometimes I find things in Old Navy that work, but not always. Macys is good too! I forgot about that one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

forever 21 definitely has plus size clothing in store, but the line is hideous.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

hello everyone,

I just joined this lovely forum and i'm delighted to see a plus size thread! I'm a plus size gal who lives in Canada and let me tell you there is not a lot of choices where I live! I'm also not into a lot of sparkly, frills, flowers, awful designs to try distract you from my size kind of clothes which limits me even more! Can't wait to check out some of the links you have shared on here!

nettie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Welcome Nettie! We are glad to have you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next